Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 f150 level for looks and still tow with WDH

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 03:16 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2017 f150 level for looks and still tow with WDH

I just purchased a 2017 f150 with sport package, fx4 and I don't care for the rake look.

I have read a bunch of the threads about shocks, spacers and even the idea of removing the rear block. None of the threads that I read talked about towing and headlights. I plan on having projector headlights for the lows atleast.

I am new to this forum and I am sure this has been a common post?
Old 09-25-2017, 08:52 AM
True North Strong & Free

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

The rake is designed into to geometry of the truck so that when the box or rear suspension is loaded up you're not pointing your headlights up towards the heavens...
If you never plan to tow or very seldom plan to load up the box then I would go with Bilstein 5100 all around. There is a great thread here on leveled trucks
The following users liked this post:
treejohnny (09-26-2017)
Old 09-25-2017, 09:38 AM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Hi, treejohnny, and WELCOME to F150forum and our campfire.

Suspension design is a very complicated engineering task. If you monkey around with a vehicle suspension, then to understand what you're doing you need to have a certification as a Professional Engineer (PE) in chassis design, or as a minimum the education of a mechanical engineer. Shade tree mechanics messing with changing the stance of a vehicle just because of the appearance or "rake" are going to screw up the emergency handling of their vehicle. You may "get by" with doing it, but the results won't be as good handling as the OEM design, and might even be downright dangerous.
Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 AM

I appreciate your opinion smokeywren, and I have found countless threads of people raising, lowering, leveling, changing shocks and tires.

I am just trying to find out how that all plays with our headlights when we tow with a WDH. I know the tundra has adjustable aiming headlights and I am not sure what is available for our F150.

I have logged over 500k miles with a CDL license alone, I imagine I have as much experience as most here.
Old 09-26-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 172 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by treejohnny
I have read a bunch of the threads about shocks, spacers and even the idea of removing the rear block. None of the threads that I read talked about towing and headlights.
Honestly, I think it's because most people don't care. Very few around here (locally, not the forum) even both to adjust the headlights after leveling the truck.

Not sure on the new models, but the previous gen were adjustable up/down with a screwdriver. I adjusted mine down after the level kit, then back up some after the rear AAL. I never towed much at night with just the level, but with the level and AAL, it sits level while towing my equipment trailer.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Hi, treejohnny, and WELCOME to F150forum and our campfire.

Suspension design is a very complicated engineering task. If you monkey around with a vehicle suspension, then to understand what you're doing you need to have a certification as a Professional Engineer (PE) in chassis design, or as a minimum the education of a mechanical engineer. Shade tree mechanics messing with changing the stance of a vehicle just because of the appearance or "rake" are going to screw up the emergency handling of their vehicle. You may "get by" with doing it, but the results won't be as good handling as the OEM design, and might even be downright dangerous.
If the stock design and shock/spring selection was good I would say you are right, but they are not. I would argue that a properly done level(shock and possibly spring swaps) will improve the handling of the truck even though you change geometry and what not. I have been in situations on the stock suspension that made my life flash before my eyes when they should not have because the damping on the shocks was so weak. It was a highway on ramp with a mid corner bump that caused my rear end to skip out sideways, speed limit was 55mph and thats what I was doing. Luckily the advancetrac was lightning quick.

Bilstein 5100's absolutely improve the ride quality and handling of my truck. I didnt do a big level, only the 2nd ring of 5, but there is just no comparison. Do it right and do front an rear shocks or, if you are feeling extra special, adjustable coil-over's in the front and shocks in the rear.

Now a spacer level is not something I would recommend. It does nothing to fix the sloppy stock suspension and does throw everything out of whack.

Last edited by mass-hole; 09-26-2017 at 03:34 PM.
Old 09-27-2017, 03:05 AM

From what I understand the bad part of raising the front is the angle of the front axle and best to keep it 2.25 in or less. How is it better to go with coil over 6110 Bilsteins vs a puck?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:20 AM
Blunt

Received 1,074 Likes on 722 Posts

You can modify suspension for looks, practicality or comfort, but you can't improve all three. Messing with one trait affects the others in a negative way.
Old 09-29-2017, 08:14 PM

With all of the research that I have done so far I am leaning towards the adjustable 5100's at 1.75 raise and 5100's stock height. This should be a nice compromise between looks and functionality.

The stock headlights are much better than I thought they would be. I will keep them for a little while and see how I like them.