2017 F150 3.5Eco - TT - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.

2017 F150 3.5Eco - TT

Old 09-07-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
NC Member

Default 2017 F150 3.5Eco - TT

Looking to swap out my Yukon Denali for a 2017 3.5 (max tow) F150 (145 wheel base). I am looking at towing : http://www.dutchmen.com/kodiak/floor...?modelId=22935

I haven't fired down on the 150 yet, but I have driven the 250 and it doesn't drive as nice as the 150. So, I would prefer to stick with the 150, and based purely on the numbers, I think this truck should be more than capable[1]. This will be with a WDH w/ sway control.

Thoughts and opinions welcome.

*Yes, I don't have the exact GCWR numbers, no CAT scale numbers. Looking for people that have done this type of towing to weigh in*

[1] https://www.ford.com/resources/ford/..._F150_Sep7.pdf
jtalerico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:27 PM   #2

That's a really nice TT. It is all going to depend on your payload. The hitch weight depending on how loaded the trailer gets and how you load it will exceed 8-900 lbs, possibly 1000. That will suck up a lot of payload on most 1/2 ton trucks. My XLT Max Tow has 1800 lbs of payload so a lariat or higher trim will most likely have less. Will it tow it, absolutely but make sure you stay within the capability of the tow vehicle so you have an enjoyable experience. 33' is pretty long for a 1/2 ton though, you may want to consider a long bed at least.
wolfpack219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
NC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfpack219 View Post
That's a really nice TT. It is all going to depend on your payload. The hitch weight depending on how loaded the trailer gets and how you load it will exceed 8-900 lbs, possibly 1000. That will suck up a lot of payload on most 1/2 ton trucks. My XLT Max Tow has 1800 lbs of payload so a lariat or higher trim will most likely have less. Will it tow it, absolutely but make sure you stay within the capability of the tow vehicle so you have an enjoyable experience. 33' is pretty long for a 1/2 ton though, you may want to consider a long bed at least.
For people who don't want to click the TT link :

The TT:
Average Shipping Weight (lbs.) 5,963
Dry Hitch Weight (lbs.) 718
Cargo Capacity (lbs.) 1,637

The tongue weight will approach 1000lbs.

Right, the long-bed would be nice... However, drive-ability I think the short-bed will be nice for day-to-day.

I will be towing this 12 times a year to the coast (150 miles -- 300 round trip.). More than likely I will play around the RDU area at Falls lake, etc a handful of times too.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #4
NC Member

Regarding payload, i see that listed in the Ford document as 3,220[1]

wow, reading through the thread about WDH and how the 2016-2017's are having issues with getting the weight right seems a bit scary...

Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #5

Weight wise, that trailer is very close to mine, though its longer. I have a Dutchman Coleman 274BH. Both are 7600 GVWR trailers, though that one may have more TW due to the slider as it has a higher base weight.

I have 820# TW, the one you are looking at will be 900 or more depending on how you load and how much you carry. Maxed out at 15% you are looking at 1140 pounds TW, so Max Tow is a needed option for that trailer.

I would not go below 1800# payload on the truck, the more the better. Also due to it being nearly 34 feet in length, look for a long bed 157" WB truck, which is a Screw 6.5 bed, dont go with the 5.5 bed, or you may regret it later on. The new gen trucks are more prone to stability issues than the previous gen, so the longer the truck, the better the handling will be with that trailer.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtalerico View Post
Regarding payload, i see that listed in the Ford document as 3,220[1]

wow, reading through the thread about WDH and how the 2016-2017's are having issues with getting the weight right seems a bit scary...

That 3k number you see regarding payload is without any humans inside and their stuff. For a better number, go look at the yellow sticker on the drivers door at the dealer on the trucks you are interested in.

For example, my '17 Crew XLT has a payload of just under 1900lbs on the sticker.
hilld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 07:00 PM   #7
NC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdii View Post
Weight wise, that trailer is very close to mine, though its longer. I have a Dutchman Coleman 274BH. Both are 7600 GVWR trailers, though that one may have more TW due to the slider as it has a higher base weight.

I have 820# TW, the one you are looking at will be 900 or more depending on how you load and how much you carry. Maxed out at 15% you are looking at 1140 pounds TW, so Max Tow is a needed option for that trailer.

I would not go below 1800# payload on the truck, the more the better. Also due to it being nearly 34 feet in length, look for a long bed 157" WB truck, which is a Screw 6.5 bed, dont go with the 5.5 bed, or you may regret it later on. The new gen trucks are more prone to stability issues than the previous gen, so the longer the truck, the better the handling will be with that trailer.
Yeah, the one I am looking at has Max Tow

How well does your truck pull the Coleman? What WDH did you go with? I am looking at the Blueox Swaypro.

Yeah, I like the drive of the 145 over the 157 (no load, which will be 90% of my driving).

Thanks for all the feedback thus far!
Old 09-07-2017, 08:33 PM   #8

The 3k+ pound payload is for an UNLOADED (nothing in it but fuel) heavy duty payload package (HDPP) truck. Unless you build / order one, you aren't likely to find a HDPP truck. Starting payload for normal F-150's is just a bit over 2k pounds--something like 2140, then subtract everything that gets added to the truck: power seats, moon roof, climate control, power windows, etc. It adds up and you end up with a payload somewhere between 1400-1900 pounds, give or take.
BarmanBean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtalerico View Post
Yeah, the one I am looking at has Max Tow

How well does your truck pull the Coleman? What WDH did you go with? I am looking at the Blueox Swaypro.

Yeah, I like the drive of the 145 over the 157 (no load, which will be 90% of my driving).

Thanks for all the feedback thus far!
Honestly, my 2014 F150 handled it a lot better than the 2016 does. I have to replace the hitch and have not decided if it will be the equalizer or the Blue Ox. The Ecoboost is a beast and has no issues pulling the weight.

You will need to replace the shocks right away, the stock ones are crap.
acdii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 09:16 PM   #10
NC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarmanBean View Post
The 3k+ pound payload is for an UNLOADED (nothing in it but fuel) heavy duty payload package (HDPP) truck. Unless you build / order one, you aren't likely to find a HDPP truck. Starting payload for normal F-150's is just a bit over 2k pounds--something like 2140, then subtract everything that gets added to the truck: power seats, moon roof, climate control, power windows, etc. It adds up and you end up with a payload somewhere between 1400-1900 pounds, give or take.

Interesting, the HDPP Wasn't mentioned in the document I posted for the 3k

The combined weight of occupants and cargo : 1522 (from the sticker)