Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 F-150 SCrew towing capacity?

Old 05-27-2018, 02:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 F-150 SCrew towing capacity?

Hi,
New to the forum and towing.
I've towed boats and trash trailers but never a travel trailer. I know not the same. Hence the questions.
My F-150 is a Super-crew sport, Max tow, 3.5 ecoboost 10 speed trans.Tow rating 1250?
I originally purchased it for my Pilot car business and with the hopes I would be getting a travel trailer in the future.
I'm now looking at a Imagine 2670MK GVWR 8495. I have the truck loaded pretty good with equipment. Going to scale next week but I'm sure I'm close to max payload.
I guess what I'm looking for is to be schooled on what I can safely tow?
Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-27-2018, 02:42 PM

Received 255 Likes on 178 Posts

When you scale the truck, make sure you have everything in it that you will have in it when you tow the travel trailer (both people and gear). Your 7000 GVWR minus your scaled weight is what is left for hitch weight. Hitch weight on the trailer you mentioned could easily be 1,000 pounds when loaded.

You're added weight on the front bumper will actually help the truck be more balanced with a load. And your ~2,000 pound payload is very good for an F150. However, given that you say you have it well loaded already, make sure you do your math very carefully as you will easily go over GVWR and/or GAWR with that trailer and lots of stuff in the truck.

The 32' length of that trailer will be pushing it in any significant wind. Your ability to comfortably handle that trailer may come down to the quality of your WDH and how well you set it up.

I think you're right on the limit of what you can do within the legal weight limits and right on the limit for control in any wind - you may be beyond the limit depending on how much wind, how good your hitch is and how good of a driver you are. Let us know how your weight's work out. I won't tell you not to get that trailer, but a shorter trailer may make for a much more enjoyable vacation.

Last edited by Gladehound; 05-27-2018 at 02:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
DonTomio (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 03:45 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

A second from me on what Glade said. 32' is quite a bit of sail for an F150. 30' is pushing it for me, and I am quite comfortable with 28', but 4 more feet and it would be a fight with crosswinds and semi's due to lack of forward mass to counter the trailer.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:03 PM
Senile member

Received 1,048 Likes on 732 Posts

If you're already close to max payload with stuff you're just carrying around, you have no capacity to tow anything.
Old 05-27-2018, 05:16 PM

Not sure what you mean. The payload of the truck is 2042 lbs. I think my equipment is close to that. Of course I can scale down a little but how is it I couldn't tow anything?
Old 05-27-2018, 08:27 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by DonTomio
Not sure what you mean. The payload of the truck is 2042 lbs. I think my equipment is close to that. Of course I can scale down a little but how is it I couldn't tow anything?
Payload capacity is a limiter as to how heavy a trailer you can tow without being overloaded.. If you are already loaded to payload capacity, then you don't have payload capacity remaining for hitch weight.

Most properly-loaded "bumper-pull" trailers have average tongue weight of about 13% of gross trailer weight. So a trailer that grosses 5,000 pounds will have tongue weight of about 650 pounds. That 650 pounds is payload.

Make that a much-lighter trailer that weighs only 2,000 pounds when loaded. Tongue weight is about 260 pounds. If you don't have at least 260 pounds of payload capacity remaining for hitch weight, then you're going to be overloaded with that very light trailer.

An exception is a farmer's wagon-style grain trailer that has almost no hitch weight. But I'll bet you're not talking about a wagon-style trailer.
The following users liked this post:
DonTomio (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:28 PM

Payload is anything and everything carried by the truck, including people/pets, cargo, hitch weight, dirt in the carpet and loose change in the seat, etc. Big trailers like the one you listed use up a lot of payload. Minimum 1,000 pounds of unused payload will be needed for that trailer once it's loaded (probably more).

I realize the advertised hitch weight is much less than that. Don't go by it. Most of the time it doesn't include batteries and propane tanks. It certainly doesn't include any mandatory camping stuff liked jacks and blocks. For perspective, my little trailer's tongue weight is listed at 460 pounds and it weighs 900 before packing cloths. Don't for get ~100 pounds for a good WDH. How many people do you have and what do they weigh? All that counts against payload - it's not just what you put in the bed.
The following 2 users liked this post by Gladehound:
chimmike (05-27-2018), DonTomio (05-27-2018)
Old 05-27-2018, 08:58 PM

Thanks everyone. Like I said I need some schooling.
I didn't get how the tongue weight calculated into payload.
Going out to look at more trailers tomorrow. Dropping down to 27 overall. Also I will have to look at what equipment I can do away with.
Keep the good info coming please.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:26 PM

Received 97 Likes on 65 Posts

If its possible, I would start by getting rid of the heavy push bar/brush guard thing on the front. That has to weigh in excess of 100lbs. Get rid of the heavy back rack if possible, if thats what im seeing in the pics.

Just an example as i do not know the exact weights of the added equipment on the truck, your cargo, driver/passenger weights....

2042lbs payload
Subtract all weight of all items added to the truck
brush guard - 150lbs?
back Rack—. 100lbs?
Drivers weight 200lbs?
WDH————100Lbs?

just those 4 items brings your remaining payload down to 1490ish.
Old 05-27-2018, 09:42 PM

Thanks everyone. Like I said I need some schooling.
I didn't get how the tongue weight calculated into payload.
Going out to look at more trailers tomorrow. Dropping down to 27 overall. Also I will have to look at what equipment I can do away with.
Keep the good info coming please.
Our TT is 27 ft from ball to bumper and we find it to be plenty big for a family of 4.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2017 F-150 SCrew towing capacity?