Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 SCAB XLT Trailer Brake Controller

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 02:38 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default 2016 SCAB XLT Trailer Brake Controller

I have seen many similar posts, but I am trying to nail down whether or not the plug and harness for a TBC is already behind the "cubby slot" in the dash on mine...

I have a '16 scab, 2wd with elec locking axle that I ordered with the factory trailer tow pkg.

It has the flat 4 and 7 pin plugs in the back, it also has the "pro trailer back up assist" **** on the dash... I wish that was an option and the brake controller was standard... but, that's another topic.

I see youtube vids where the harness and plug are already behind the dash, but my truck came with that plug and wiring pigtail in a bag in the glove compartment, so I am wondering if I have to splice it in, or will it be already wired in behind that cubby slot?

One more question if I may, since it is a factory tow pkg, on the 7 pin plug, will it have the 12 volt "hot" for the trailer battery, or is that something that has to be wired in separate?

All my towing so far has been with utility trailers that don't have brakes... but I have bigger trailers to tow coming up and that's the question about the wiring.

Thanks for any input! I'm hoping it's already in there.
Old 07-26-2017, 03:40 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I can almost guarantee you it's either behind the dash in the cubby compartment or underneath the dash.

Mine was located underneath the dash by the odb2 port.

The pigtail that came with your truck is if you want to add an aftermarket trailer brake. Also it should have come with two fuses, go ahead and install those in the engine compartment fuse box.
The following users liked this post:
Pikkup (07-26-2017)
Old 07-26-2017, 04:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks!