Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F150 XLT 300a Towing Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2016 F150 XLT 300a Towing Installation

I have a 2016 F150 XLT (300a trim level; 2.7L EcoBoost) and I was looking to pull a small popup camper in the next month. I will likely be purchasing a Curt trailer hitch, and the installation seems straight forward from what I see on YouTube. Is this alright to add to the 300a? Do I need a brake controller? Do I already have a brake controller? Am I missing anything other than remove spare, install hitch, and hook up trailer tongue?
Old 03-31-2019, 12:16 PM

Received 317 Likes on 201 Posts

Do you have the hookup for trailer wiring? Most pop ups probably don’t have brakes but depends on the trailer.
Old 03-31-2019, 07:50 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

Smile

Originally Posted by Rustyshackleford
I have a 2016 F150 XLT (300a trim level; 2.7L EcoBoost) and I was looking to pull a small popup camper in the next month. I will likely be purchasing a Curt trailer hitch, and the installation seems straight forward from what I see on YouTube. Is this alright to add to the 300a?
It will work. but it will hang down below the back bumper and yell "I'm not stock!"

You can buy the stock receiver that is part of the rear bumper for about the same price, then DIY and have a nice-looking installation.
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...LXY4LWZsZXg%3D

Note that installation requires you to remove the rear bumper cover, then replace the center "reinforcement" that doesn't have a receiver with the new receiver

Do I need a brake controller?
Probably. If your trailer has electric brakes, and after it's loaded for the road, it has over 500 pounds hitch weight, then you need a brake controller.

Do I already have a brake controller?
No. Not unless you have the max tow pkg, which inludes the brake controller.

Am I missing anything other than remove spare, install hitch, and hook up trailer tongue?
Probably. Does your F-150 have trailer wiring plugs at the rear bumper? If not then you need a 4-pin plug if the trailer has trailer lights but not electric brakes. If it also has electric brakes, then you need the 7-pin trailer plug and a brake controller.
Old 04-02-2019, 12:17 AM

Received 3,164 Likes on 2,193 Posts

If your trailer is under the weight limit for brakes, it probably won't have them, and you wouldn't really need them, although they would prevent additional wear on the truck's brakes, and improve braking distances, which is never a bad thing.

Anything I'm going to pull multiple times a year over long distances, I like to have brakes on it if it exceeds 1000lbs once loaded.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:06 AM

I appreciate the feedback. So I contacted the owner of the popup I am going to be renting, and the entire weight of the trailer/camper is 1250lbs, which is well below my state (Texas) requirements for having second set of dedicated brakes. More to the point, the trailer for this camper doesn't even have brakes built in due to its small size, so its a moot point as far as brake controllers go. But I do think I'll be going with that hitch, as it appears to be more than sufficient for such a light pull.
Old 04-02-2019, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by smokeywren
Probably. Does your F-150 have trailer wiring plugs at the rear bumper? If not then you need a 4-pin plug if the trailer has trailer lights but not electric brakes. If it also has electric brakes, then you need the 7-pin trailer plug and a brake controller.
This is good information, thank you. The 300a does have the 4-pin plug available under the back bumper, but definitely no 7-pin. So, at least I'll have lights.
Old 04-09-2019, 08:33 AM

Received 3,164 Likes on 2,193 Posts

The lowest limit for trailer brakes is 1500lbs. Don't recall which states that is.

Quick Reply: 2016 F150 XLT 300a Towing Installation