Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost with max towing front axle weight question

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost with max towing front axle weight question

Hello,

My 2016 F150 3.5 Ecoboost SuperCrew with max towing package, 6 sp auto, has a 3450 lb Front GAWR. With my 35 gallon fuel tank full and 100 lbs in the cab I went to a DOT scale and weighed the truck (no attached trailer) with just the front tires on the scale, the weight was 3100 lbs with myself, full tank of fuel, and 100 lbs cargo in the cab. No trailer attached.

Question: Is it normal to have a Front Axle Weight so close to the Front GAWR with just a 150 lb driver, full fuel tank, and 100 lbs of other cargo in the cab??

I once in awhile tow a 6000lb 24 ft travel trailer and would like to take my wife and a couple friends which would add another 400 lbs to the cab.

The hitch weight is ~700 lbs, Truck specs: the payload is 1845 lbs, the GVWR is 7000 lbs, and the GCWR is 16,900 lbs, max towing is 11,500 lbs. When I tow I use an Equalizer WDH.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:11 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

How much without you in the cab? It is possible that most weight distributes rearward from behind the front seat.

I need to grab the weight slips from my trailer and see what the front axle weighs on mine.

When you attach a trailer, the weight shifts rearward, unloading the front axle. A Weight Distribution Hitch transfers some of the weight back to the front axle. In most cases, you would rarely ever exceed front axle weight.

Well, unless you have these two beauties in the front seat.

Last edited by acdii; 03-17-2017 at 10:15 PM.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:17 PM
Gone Golfin

Received 2,271 Likes on 1,391 Posts

Hook the trailer up and weigh it again. I'll be surprised if your front axle isn't lighter than when you weighed it the first time for the reason as described above.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:01 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

High, Oregonperson, and WELCOME to our campfire.

Originally Posted by OregonPerson
Question: Is it normal to have a Front Axle Weight so close to the Front GAWR with just a 150 lb driver, full fuel tank, and 100 lbs of other cargo in the cab??

It's not really very close. You have 350 pounds of unused fGAWR to be used for additional weight on the front axle.

Trailers typically reduce the weight on the front axle, not increase it. So when you tie onto a trailer with 750 pounds tongue weight, the weight on the front axle actually decreases until you tighten the spring bars on your WDH. When you tighten the spring bars, the weight on the front axle returns to about where it was before you tied onto the trailer, or maybe adds some weight to the front axle, but nowhere near the 350 pounds you have available. And most of the weight inside the cab is carried by the rear axle, not the front axle, and all of the weight in the bed is carried by the rear axle. So no worries.

After you have the truck and trailer wet and loaded for the road, then weigh the rig on the CAT scale. Your problem, if any, will probably be exceeding the GVWR, and maybe the rGAWR, but not the fGAWR.

Front GAWR is a concern if you add a heavy front-end replacement grill/bumper such as a Ranch Hand Summit.
https://www.ranchhand.com/front-bumper-fsf09hbl1.html

Or if you add a snowplow. Those darned snowplows are heavy.