Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 with basic tow needing to haul 5,700 lbs

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2019, 09:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2016 with basic tow needing to haul 5,700 lbs

I have a new to me 2016 F150 XLT FX4 with the 3.5 eb and whatever package gives it the trailer haul and sport modes and manual shift console shifter. It only has the basic tow package and I'm looking for input on what I need to do to make it capable of hauling a 5,700 lbs bumper pull camper. Let's just call it 6,000 lbs which is about what it will be with supplies (no water). For background, I have towed many things with different trucks up to about 10,000 lbs. However, most of those trucks were already setup to tow at their max tow capacity for their chassis. I am pretty sure, based on my research, that my current max tow is 5,000 lbs. I know that the F150 with 3.5 eb is capable of much more than that.

I am already working on tow mirrors in a different thread. I am also working on getting an OEM trailer brake controller installed and that function turned on. I also plan on getting a WD hitch.

So my questions to this group are, what else do I HAVE to have? What do you recommend I also do? What are the specific items that take the F150 from 5,000 max tow to a much higher max tow? I'm guessing the brake controller is a huge part of that, but probably not the only item. I also found that a transmission cooler might be needed, not yet sure if I have one on the truck already.

I tried doing some VIN lookups on my own but did not find any useful information for my efforts here. I will be stopping by the dealer today to see what I can find out about my truck as it was ordered new.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 AM

Forgot to post camper (travel trailer) specifics. It's a 1996 Fleetwood Wilderness, model # M-27N which is 29'.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:11 AM

Sorry, keep thinking of more information. My F150 does not have a sunroof and is a super crew with 5.5' bed.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:24 AM

Received 223 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 603racing
I have a new to me 2016 F150 XLT FX4 with the 3.5 eb and whatever package gives it the trailer haul and sport modes and manual shift console shifter. It only has the basic tow package and I'm looking for input on what I need to do to make it capable of hauling a 5,700 lbs bumper pull camper. Let's just call it 6,000 lbs which is about what it will be with supplies (no water). For background, I have towed many things with different trucks up to about 10,000 lbs. However, most of those trucks were already setup to tow at their max tow capacity for their chassis. I am pretty sure, based on my research, that my current max tow is 5,000 lbs. I know that the F150 with 3.5 eb is capable of much more than that.

I am already working on tow mirrors in a different thread. I am also working on getting an OEM trailer brake controller installed and that function turned on. I also plan on getting a WD hitch.

So my questions to this group are, what else do I HAVE to have? What do you recommend I also do? What are the specific items that take the F150 from 5,000 max tow to a much higher max tow? I'm guessing the brake controller is a huge part of that, but probably not the only item. I also found that a transmission cooler might be needed, not yet sure if I have one on the truck already.

I tried doing some VIN lookups on my own but did not find any useful information for my efforts here. I will be stopping by the dealer today to see what I can find out about my truck as it was ordered new.

Any and all help is appreciated.
Awesome you are checking into this before you hook up the camper. Question - do you have the original window sticker? Very few 3.5 EcoBoost trucks leave the factory without at least the basic tow package. As long as the truck had the standard or Max tow packages as a factory option it should be setup to pull more than 5,000.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff1024
Awesome you are checking into this before you hook up the camper. Question - do you have the original window sticker? Very few 3.5 EcoBoost trucks leave the factory without at least the basic tow package. As long as the truck had the standard or Max tow packages as a factory option it should be setup to pull more than 5,000.
I do not have the original sticker. The first owner gave almost nothing to the dealer when he traded it in. I got one key and was lucky to get the owner's manual... that's all I got. It definitely has the basic tow package with the hitch receiver, 7/4 pin connectors in the bumper, and "tow haul" option on the shifter.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:59 AM

Received 336 Likes on 261 Posts

You said bumper pull. You don't mean the actual bumper as in old school but you do have the bolted on tow receiver right below that, right?
Old 01-03-2019, 11:04 AM

Received 320 Likes on 240 Posts

I think you are looking at the wrong numbers here. You say "bumper pull". To me, bumper pull is having a trailer hitch ball installed on the bumper just under the license plate. But either way, your truck can haul much more than that when using the class IV trailer hitch installed on the truck. The trailer hitch will have a sticker on it and should say you can haul around 10,000 lbs or more. The manual says anything over 5000 lbs you need a weight distributing hitch but that is a little subjective too. I've towed 6000 lbs before with no WDH and it did just fine and my truck is similarly equipped.

I've attached the towing guide for 2016 trucks. Scroll down to page 16 for conventional towing and you can see what you can haul.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Towing Guide.pdf (3.71 MB, 181 views)

Last edited by bcb97; 01-03-2019 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:15 AM

Received 223 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by 603racing
I do not have the original sticker. The first owner gave almost nothing to the dealer when he traded it in. I got one key and was lucky to get the owner's manual... that's all I got. It definitely has the basic tow package with the hitch receiver, 7/4 pin connectors in the bumper, and "tow haul" option on the shifter.
In the past you could pull the build data from etis.ford.com. It appears to be "down" right now, which isn't uncommon. It is my understanding that to tow over 5,000lbs the truck had to be optioned the trailer tow package (53A) or Max Trailer Tow Package (53C). I would imagine your dealer could look up the VIN and tell you what your truck was built with, however the receiver and 7/4pin connector in the bumper tends to hint at you being in good shape. Here is the trailer guide from 2016 that outlines the details. https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources...e_r3_Nov12.pdf
Old 01-03-2019, 11:31 AM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffinthebag
You said bumper pull. You don't mean the actual bumper as in old school but you do have the bolted on tow receiver right below that, right?
I call anything that is towed by a ball a bumper pull. It's the old school way to call a non 5th wheel. Also known as Tag along.

For the OP, open the drivers door, and look at the yellow tag, it has the payload. Start there.

Read this thread, has many answers for your questions. https://www.f150forum.com/f82/number...9/#post5446734

If you have the integrated brake controller, then the possibility of having the tow package is very high. You already have the trailer connectors, and if you go though the dash screens should have trailer setup options.
The following users liked this post:
Ricktwuhk (01-03-2019)
Old 01-03-2019, 12:12 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by bcb97
I think you are looking at the wrong numbers here. You say "bumper pull". To me, bumper pull is having a trailer hitch ball installed on the bumper just under the license plate. But either way, your truck can haul much more than that when using the class IV trailer hitch installed on the truck. The trailer hitch will have a sticker on it and should say you can haul around 10,000 lbs or more. The manual says anything over 5000 lbs you need a weight distributing hitch but that is a little subjective too. I've towed 6000 lbs before with no WDH and it did just fine and my truck is similarly equipped.

I've attached the towing guide for 2016 trucks. Scroll down to page 16 for conventional towing and you can see what you can haul.
The Towing guide is useless. It shows what a vehicle with no options can pull. Do what acdii said, read your door jamb sticker and the thread he referenced. 6,000 pounds SHOULD be no issue, with a weight distribution hitch. However, reading the door jamb sticker is the place to start.
The following users liked this post:
603racing (01-04-2019)

Quick Reply: 2016 with basic tow needing to haul 5,700 lbs