Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 Trailer Connector not working

Old 07-07-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Trailer Connector not working

Hey everyone,

So I recently got a 2015 Ford F150 Lariat with about 40k miles on it. I've been loving it so far.

About a month ago I tried to hook up my flat bed trailer using the 7 pin connector. It didn't recognize the trailer, no lights, no brakes, nothing. So took it to a local ford dealership. They claimed they fixed the problem. Jump forward to this last week, go to hook up my 5th wheel. Again it didn't recognize the trailer, no lights, no brakes, nothing. Went over to my neighbors and hooked it up to his brand new 5th wheel. Same damn thing.

Took it back to Ford on Thursday. Their tech claims that they ran diagnostics on it and everything was just fine. Get the truck back this afternoon, same exact thing. No lights, nothing.

So I dig out the voltage meter and flip on the emergency flashers. There is literally no power coming out of anything in that 7 pin harness. Not from the battery charging pin, not from either turn signal, no power to the running lights.

I'm at my wit's end on this one. We're supposed to be leaving for vacation on Wednesday morning. However I can't tow my 5th wheel without brakes especially up and over the mountain pass we have to go over. Fords suggestion was to bring my trailer over hooked up to my truck so they could look at it. Yeah let's drive 20 miles with a 5th wheel with no brakes, no lights, etc. It's not the trailer's fault here.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Old 07-07-2017, 07:37 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

check fuse #49 and #36 under the hood.
Old 07-08-2017, 01:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up figuring out what it was. I also found out that I need to find a new dealership to take my truck to.

Pulled the connector off the back of the trailer connector sleeve, had power there. Still no power through the connector once I reconnected it. So ran to another dealership, picked up a new trailer sleeve and boom, it's fixed. Can't believe in two trips the dealership didn't figure that out. Took a voltage meter and about 10 minutes to figure this out. ***facepalm***
Old 07-08-2017, 04:50 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Originally Posted by sirpluto
I ended up figuring out what it was. I also found out that I need to find a new dealership to take my truck to.

Pulled the connector off the back of the trailer connector sleeve, had power there. Still no power through the connector once I reconnected it. So ran to another dealership, picked up a new trailer sleeve and boom, it's fixed. Can't believe in two trips the dealership didn't figure that out. Took a voltage meter and about 10 minutes to figure this out. ***facepalm***

It probably didn't throw a code, so they don't know how to fix it.

It's like the case of the 2015 Focus and the door latch not working. Didn't fix it because it didn't throw a code.

I fixed it myself. The wife got back from the dealer, the door was latching when she got there, they looked, no code, sent her on her way. Got home, opened the door, and it wouldn't close. I took a look, and 15 minutes later had the broken plastic keeper in my hand, drove 10 minutes to the dealer, said give me one of these under warranty since y'all couldn't figure it out, went home and 20 minutes later door was closing properly.

Turns out a few months later there was actually a recall for that stupid latch.

Search this Thread