Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 max tow major sway

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2015, 12:12 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 max tow major sway

Had a 2008 Nissan Armada with the equalizer hitch towing my 2015 32 ft cougar x lite tt that when loaded is about 7500 lbs with a tongue weight of 1080. It towed fine but when I turned a direction it seamed to pull that direction for a period of time. Thought that becuase I was over the tongue weight it was time to upgrade to a truck. Purchased the f150 3.6 ecoboost crew with short bed, max tow package and off-road package. Took it to camper dealer to make new adjustments to wdh. Ready to tow I take it out and it is still pulling when I turn and not to mention now I have two warnings, hill control default, service advance trac and a horrible sway. Called equalizer they said set up was perfect. Ford had no good recommendations so I thought it may be time for a different wdh. Purchased the Anderson wdh with built in sway control. Took care of my warning problems but not my sway. I have worked with Anderson Hitch to verify set up and it is perfect. Ford said to add 150 lbs to the tongue so I did with no difference to show. Also installed the roadmaster suspension kit and still have significant sway. Had another trailer dealer look at it and they said set up is good, it is the worst sway they have experienced because it is so constant. I have both the dealer I purchased from and Ford motor customer support involved and they have offered little support even saying that the truck is performing as expected and that they are not trailer manufacturers. Took it to a cat scale so I know everything is right and within the limits of fords towing capacities. Ford says the tt may be too long for the truck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I need resolution or I am going to fight to get them to take it back. I love the truck just not the towing. I did notice that when I push on the side of the bed near the back to truck sways alot. If I compare that to the competition or older models of the f150 it feels very weak. Just a thought.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:17 AM

Received 166 Likes on 127 Posts

Welcome to the site. That's a troubling situation for sure. You've come to a good place to get additional review and feedback. The users here are very experienced in towing and proper setup and hopefully can help.

For starters, a few things that jump out at me:
1) If sway is bad enough to trigger the trailer sway control features then you clearly have a problem!
2) What's your tire pressure?
3) Post up your cat scale information as well as capacities (door stickers).
The following users liked this post:
Jason_Larsen (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 09:31 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

You had some problems with both the Armada and new truck?
Wondering if your trailer has a problem? Could be trailer axle alignment or poor weight distribution?

But the truck does need a stiffer suspension when loaded/pulling heavy. I put on heavy duty shocks, LT tires, Roadmaster and higher overload spring bump stops.

Also I've heard that the Anderson WDH really can't move enough weight off the rear axle with heavy TWs. Some people say a max tongue weight of 800# for it.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:44 AM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

What are your truck tires?

What does your payload sticker say? What is your rear axle rating (and what does the scale say)? You say you are within limits of towing capabilities but are you within payload and axle ratings?
Old 10-07-2015, 10:37 AM

Received 281 Likes on 217 Posts

My first place to look would be the TT since you had similar issues with both.

The trailer needs to be inspected to ensure:
proper weight distribution, the most common reason for trailer sway
axle alignment
wheel alignment (separate from axle as the stubs are welded onto the axle and one may off set)

Perhaps a good test is to find a friend with a similar vehicle or one capable of towing your TT and have them tow it to see if the issue continues. This would isolate the issue to the TT.
Ricktwuhk (10-07-2015)
Old 10-07-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Seems pretty clear it's the trailer.
Old 10-07-2015, 12:36 PM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

Does your cougar have the correct track suspension? its adjustable with more moving parts then a plain old trailer set up
Old 10-07-2015, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by xcntrk
Welcome to the site. That's a troubling situation for sure. You've come to a good place to get additional review and feedback. The users here are very experienced in towing and proper setup and hopefully can help.

For starters, a few things that jump out at me:
1) If sway is bad enough to trigger the trailer sway control features then you clearly have a problem!
2) What's your tire pressure?
3) Post up your cat scale information as well as capacities (door stickers).
It does trigger the sway control several times during an hour. My tire pressure is all at 40. I will post door sticker information later.
Old 10-07-2015, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
Seems pretty clear it's the trailer.
I have pretty much rules out the tt.l and the hitch. I have now towed with my dads f250, a chevy Silverado 1500, and a Toyota tundra and they all did not have an sway and towed great. I took video to prove it.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Jason_Larsen
Does your cougar have the correct track suspension? its adjustable with more moving parts then a plain old trailer set up
Yes it does, I talked with keystone and they said it was working correctly. Also had two camping store look at the set up with none of them offering anything other than a puzzled look.
Jason_Larsen (10-09-2015)

Quick Reply: 2015 max tow major sway