Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015+ CIPA vs K-Source Tow mirrors mini review

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 02:41 PM

Received 2,719 Likes on 2,056 Posts

Default 2015+ **** vs K-Source Tow mirrors mini review

I happen to have both brands for my truck. I purchased the K-Source and delivery was delayed by months, so shopped around and located an open box **** because I had to get my trailer moved and could not do it with just the plain truck mirrors alone. (irony is, the day I received the ****, two days after ordering, the K-Source shipped 3 weeks ahead of estimated date)

So I tried out both brands, and here is what I found.

K-Source, they go on easy once you get the hang of how to line them up, and they come off easy too.

****, go on even easier, slide them on, pop in the retainer and screw the **** in.

With both mirrors it is crucial to clean the cap of dirt and bugs or you risk scratching the paint or chrome, more so with the **** since they slide on.

Differences between them functionally, the K-source has a taller mirror, but not as wide as the ****, the **** has a wider mirror that is in line with the top of the truck mirror.

On both the view is about equal, and both have pretty stiff ball sockets so the glass stays in place once adjusted.

Pro's
****: Very easy to install once mirror is clean, and all functions of high end mirrors work, Spots, 360 camera, signals, puddles, etc. Decent views around trailer once aligned.

K-Source: Once lined up, they snap on easy. After a few times, aligning will be easy. All functions of the mirrors work as the ****. Decent views around trailer once aligned. They also come with a nifty storage bag.

Con's

****: Prone to scratching the mirror caps if they are not clean. They are a very snug fit and vibrations or sliding them on/off could grind dirt into paint or chrome.

K-Source: Also prone to scratching by vibrations if the cap is not cleaned first. They sit tight against the mirror, however, they vibrate more than ****.

Con two, the mirrors vibrate and shake a lot when driving, especially on a bumpy road. The passenger side was practically unusable at one point on a rough road. On the same road, the **** were as solid as the truck mirrors, no vibrations detected.

So for the K-Source, the larger mirror and ease of use is great, but the shaking of the mirrors at highway speeds and bumpy roads negates the larger mirror, doesn't help much if they are shaking.

For the ****, as long as the mirror body is clean, they are easy to install, and work very good. Even though the mirror is smaller, it is fully functional at all speeds and road conditions.
Old 08-05-2017, 10:47 PM

Received 538 Likes on 398 Posts

I have both mirrors as well, and the K-Source mirrors are much better than the ****.

The K-source mirrors have an adjustment screw to tighten them if they are loose. The mirrors above obviously were loose and needed to be tightened.

The K-Source mirrors I use do not vibrate or shake and are stable even on the roughest of roads.

The K-source mirrors do not scratch the housing of the truck mirrors at all, whether they are cleaned or not. I do recommend cleaning the outside of the truck mirrors and the inside of the K-Source mirrors to not give any scratches a chance though. These mirrors do not slide on so they are not sliding dirt around like sand paper. The **** mirrors do slide dirt around like sand paper whether you clean them or not! The main cause is the dirt that gets blown into the mirrors when they are installed and being used. When the mirrors are taken off, the dirt is then slid across your mirror housing by the **** slide on mirrors and scratching the hell out of them.

I won't even give my **** mirrors to people I know because I don't want them to damage their trucks mirrors as they have damaged mine.

The K-Source mirrors are great. They allow your trucks turn signals to come through the clear plastic and look great, as they clip on so good, they look OEM. They are stable and vibration free (when you actually tighten them up if they're loose).

I have absolutely no negative comments about the K-Source mirrors other than you may push on their adjustable mirrors and knock them out of alignment when you're putting them on or taking them off, requiring you to readjust them once they are installed.

Just my take after owning 2 sets of K-Source mirrors and 1 set of **** Slide on Mirrors.

For the record, I'm not trying to start a mirror war, just very pissed that the **** mirrors have damaged my previous truck's mirrors when there was a much better option that doesn't damage the truck's mirrors. Also the K-source mirrors have no parts to lose as the **** has the wedge and threaded bolt.

Last edited by Mike Up; 08-05-2017 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you provide info on where you purchased the K-source mirrors and price? Any pictures if possible. I'm looking for temporary mirrors for my XLT. Thanks in advance
Old 08-06-2017, 02:52 PM

etrailer
The following users liked this post:
Fomocof150 (08-07-2017)
Old 08-06-2017, 10:06 PM

Mine didn't have instructions, even though it was a sealed box. I found the adjustment screw which made them usable, but they still vibrate enough to not have as clear a view as the ****, however, the view that is there is much larger and better than the ****.
Old 08-07-2017, 06:54 AM

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

1500 miles 2 weeks ago using the **** with no problems,would buy again
Old 08-10-2017, 08:02 PM

Did you know that if you are not logged in it has **** instead of ****? Strange.

One other item to be aware of with BOTH mirrors. If you have your auto fold set with Forescan to fold the mirrors when you lock the truck, the bottom of the mirrors will gouge the rubber trim. The **** are a little less gouging than the K-Source, but they still will do damage.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:37 PM

Received 238 Likes on 165 Posts

So the suggestions are:

K Source - 1

Anyone else. Sounds like two quality products, but still deciding. Thanks to all.
Old 08-11-2017, 09:40 AM

Received 63 Likes on 51 Posts

I have the K Source snap ons. Love the size of the mirror. Great visibility on the drivers side. Passenger side is a little weird, but Ive seen others that share the same issue with magnification.

If I were to do it all over again, Id most likely save the 50 bucks and get real tow mirrors from Ford even if they are manual only, or expensive
Old 08-11-2017, 07:54 PM

I had the Ford OEM tow mirrors on my 2010 F150. They were a pain. Stuck out so far, I couldn't fit into many places without folding them in. I also missed my auto dimming feature on the drivers side that the tow mirrors don't have.

Also, the driver's Ford OEM Tow mirror had to be replaced as it wore and started telescoping out from vibration. That was a common complaint on these OEM mirrors. I like having smaller mirrors with auto dimming when I need them, and having a really good tow mirror added when I need them. Best of both worlds.

Last edited by Mike Up; 08-13-2017 at 04:01 PM.