Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 3.5L Eco Towing Capability/Experience

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 3.5L Eco Towing Capability/Experience

I have a 2015 XLT Supercab with the 3.5L EcoBoost that is rated (according to my read of the literature) to have a 10,500 lb towing capability.

I am thinking of getting a smaller fifth wheel. The models I am looking at have dry weights of 8,000 to 8,500 lb and recommended carry weights that total the load up to somewhere in the 10,000-10,500 range.

I would like people's opinions on whether the Ford spec means that the truck can REASONABLY handle a tow that close to the limit, or whether it would be a "teeth on edge" experience that would significantly strain the truck and me.
Old 12-17-2015, 11:17 PM
Flatlander

Received 283 Likes on 197 Posts

10k fifth wheel at 20% pin weight (just for a figure) is 2000lbs on the pin. That should answer your question. If you have the available GVWR to carry the pin (plus or minus a few hundred that won't make a difference) and enough GCWR for the whole train (all 4 axles) then it will be able to do it. Comfort doing so is a personal feeling that can be totally different from one driver to another. You're gonna know it's there. Were it me- I likely wouldn't. That's pretty maxed. It's going to put some strain on your truck and shave a few years off the both of you.
The following users liked this post:
Jason_Larsen (12-18-2015)
Old 12-17-2015, 11:32 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by smurfs_of_war
10k fifth wheel at 20% pin weight (just for a figure) is 2000lbs on the pin. That should answer your question. If you have the available GVWR to carry the pin (plus or minus a few hundred that won't make a difference) and enough GCWR for the whole train (all 4 axles) then it will be able to do it. Comfort doing so is a personal feeling that can be totally different from one driver to another. You're gonna know it's there. Were it me- I likely wouldn't. That's pretty maxed. It's going to put some strain on your truck and shave a few years off the both of you.
Agreed. You probably don't have adequate payload capacity. What is your trucks yellow door-sticker rated max capacity of cargo and passengers?
Old 12-18-2015, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The truck's rating for passengers and cargo is 2054 lb.

The comments so far are making me think that I will need to restrict my looking to units that (loaded) are more like 1000 lb lower than the truck's tow capacity.
Old 12-18-2015, 08:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't forget about the weight of the hitch in the truck that you will need to take off of the 2054. I would recommend that you stay around 9000K plus or minus a few hundred loaded weight. Jayco makes some nice looking rigs that loaded are 9-10K. I don't own or work for them just been looking at them a lot to replace my Forest River.
Old 12-18-2015, 10:22 AM

Received 159 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by ragerjr
Don't forget about the weight of the hitch in the truck that you will need to take off of the 2054.
And the passengers, dog, cargo, etc.
The following users liked this post:
Jason_Larsen (12-18-2015)
Old 12-18-2015, 10:52 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by wakatipu
The truck's rating for passengers and cargo is 2054 lb.

The comments so far are making me think that I will need to restrict my looking to units that (loaded) are more like 1000 lb lower than the truck's tow capacity.
I'm going to throw up a flag on this. You're saying you opened the door, found the yellow sticker, and the word "Payload" is followed by 2,054? I don't believe it.

If you figured that out on Ford's website, that's nice - but not right.

Regardless of the number, as stated you have to subtract everything including all the people that you load in your truck, anything you added (the hitch, accessories), plus any luggage or anything else you may put in the bed.

Every discussion I've seen about 5th wheels would say "no way that's happening."
Old 12-18-2015, 01:39 PM
Opinionated Blowhard

Received 165 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Ricktwuhk
I'm going to throw up a flag on this. You're saying you opened the door, found the yellow sticker, and the word "Payload" is followed by 2,054? I don't believe it.

If you figured that out on Ford's website, that's nice - but not right.

Regardless of the number, as stated you have to subtract everything including all the people that you load in your truck, anything you added (the hitch, accessories), plus any luggage or anything else you may put in the bed.

Every discussion I've seen about 5th wheels would say "no way that's happening."
The thing that RVers are running into is the fact that the trailer companies are advertising 1/2 ton 5th wheels. If the Cougar 5th wheel is any indication, then there is no way that the standard manufacturers are going to make the 1/2 ton weight cut. They count on the ignorance of buyers and the fact that the Big 3 all tout these towing capabilities. The problem is that the advertised weight is the maximum with one 150 lb passenger. This is borderline negligence as to my knowledge there are no 1/2 tons with the payload capacity to carry what the average person considers a vacation load - loaded trailer, kids, dog, bicycles, firewood, etc. I am against excess regulation and advise that anyone who is going to spend $60-$80,000 on a 1/2 ton 5th wheel rig would spend time learning rather than taking a commissioned salesman's word for it. According to them, a 1/2 ton will tow a 45' fiver with a family of six!

If it's a 5th, then it takes 3/4 ton at least. I'd like to think my F150 could safely and confidently tow a 5th, but I know better.
Old 12-18-2015, 01:51 PM

Received 132 Likes on 84 Posts

The sales dude told me I would have no problem towing a larger trailer then I ended up buying. When I responded to him with the weight break down and legality it got a bit awkward.
Old 12-18-2015, 02:09 PM

Received 208 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenferg1
If it's a 5th, then it takes 3/4 ton at least. I'd like to think my F150 could safely and confidently tow a 5th, but I know better.
Nope, a lighter 5th wheel could be towed successfully with a Heavy Duty Payload Package F150 and within specs. I was just looking at a used 2014 XLT F150 online with 2287 payload on the yellow door sticker.
That being said, I would personally want a F250 if I was regularly towing a 5th wheel.

Quick Reply: 2015 3.5L Eco Towing Capability/Experience