2014 F-150 HDPP - New To Me - Page 3 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2014 F-150 HDPP - New To Me

Old 05-04-2018, 11:05 AM
  #21  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by smokeywren View Post
What is the advantage in having two 6-volt batteries wired to produce 12 volts compared to two 12-volt batteries wired to produce 12 volts?

I had two huge 6-volt batteries on my John Deere 310A backhoe, wired to produce 12 volts, but couldn't find a good automatic 6-volt battery charger/maintainer. So I replaced the 6-volt batteries with 12-volt and my 12-volt automatic battery charger/maintainer worked great. And I don't think the 12-volt starter in that big diesel engine knew the difference.
Two 6 volt batteries wired in series will use a 12v maintainer. The RV I have has a 27 series battery that is nothing more then a car battery and not able to produce the run times of a deep cycle 6v. I could just purchase another 12V and run them in parallel, this would be less expensive, however I just came back to RV camping from Tent camping and I see alot of battery use in the near future.

Your backhoe most likely used the two 6 volt for the large cranking amps needed to start that beast.
ToppDogg is offline  
Old 05-05-2018, 12:57 AM
  #22  
Senior Member
 
Atlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 214
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Default

One huge advantage is cost effectiveness. Two (to get the same amp hrs) true deep cycle batteries 12V cost a lot more than two 6V golf. Most 12V batteries used on travel trailers are hybrid batteries, used to both start and do deep cycle work. Whereas, the two 6V golf cart batteries are designed to be abused and still have a reasonable life time.

As for your other question, my converter/charger in my trailer only sees a 12V battery. A charger will only see 12V, whether the 12V is one battery, or 2 6V batteries, or 6 2V batteries if they are wired in series.


Originally Posted by smokeywren View Post
What is the advantage in having two 6-volt batteries wired to produce 12 volts compared to two 12-volt batteries wired to produce 12 volts?

I had two huge 6-volt batteries on my John Deere 310A backhoe, wired to produce 12 volts, but couldn't find a good automatic 6-volt battery charger/maintainer. So I replaced the 6-volt batteries with 12-volt and my 12-volt automatic battery charger/maintainer worked great. And I don't think the 12-volt starter in that big diesel engine knew the difference.
Atlee is offline  
Old 05-07-2018, 01:19 AM
  #23  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: seattle, wa
Posts: 185
Thanked 29 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Was that the one from the Chevy Dealer in Bellingham, I was looking for an HDPP and saw it online I did some math, and decided a 3/4 ton makes more sense for me, but that is a nice truck, and I went back and forth with my wife for a week about driving up from Edmonds to look at it..
seaeagle2 is offline  
Old 05-07-2018, 10:44 PM
  #24  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by seaeagle2 View Post
Was that the one from the Chevy Dealer in Bellingham, I was looking for an HDPP and saw it online I did some math, and decided a 3/4 ton makes more sense for me, but that is a nice truck, and I went back and forth with my wife for a week about driving up from Edmonds to look at it..
It was the Toyota dealer in Bellingham.
ToppDogg is offline  
Old 05-07-2018, 10:45 PM
  #25  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Will be Camping Deception Pass Park this Tuesday thru Thursday.
ToppDogg is offline  
Old 05-09-2018, 02:47 PM
  #26  
Senior Member
 
EventHorizon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Airdrie, Alberta
Posts: 214
Thanked 45 Times in 30 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by smokeywren View Post
What is the advantage in having two 6-volt batteries wired to produce 12 volts compared to two 12-volt batteries wired to produce 12 volts?

I had two huge 6-volt batteries on my John Deere 310A backhoe, wired to produce 12 volts, but couldn't find a good automatic 6-volt battery charger/maintainer. So I replaced the 6-volt batteries with 12-volt and my 12-volt automatic battery charger/maintainer worked great. And I don't think the 12-volt starter in that big diesel engine knew the difference.
Advantages are as stated above but not many think of the disadvantage that if 1 craps out in the middle of a camping trip you're screwed. I went the 2 12v route and one trip lent one of them to a friend after something went wrong with one of his 6v. We both had power for the remaining 3 days. Been using 2 12s for years and never had a problem.
EventHorizon is offline  
Old 05-13-2018, 11:31 PM
  #27  
Senior Member
 
Velosprout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: East Central Illinois
Posts: 883
Thanked 144 Times in 124 Posts
Default

Congrats on your '14 HDPP. I hope you enjoy yours as much as I have mine.
Velosprout is offline  
Old 05-15-2018, 10:36 AM
  #28  
Senior Member
 
Atlee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 214
Thanked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Default

What went wrong with just one of his 2 6V batteries. Batteries don't usually just crap out suddenly. Normally, they give off warning signs, like not charging fully any longer, or losing their power sooner than they used to.

Originally Posted by EventHorizon View Post
Advantages are as stated above but not many think of the disadvantage that if 1 craps out in the middle of a camping trip you're screwed. I went the 2 12v route and one trip lent one of them to a friend after something went wrong with one of his 6v. We both had power for the remaining 3 days. Been using 2 12s for years and never had a problem.
Atlee is offline  
Old 05-31-2018, 11:41 AM
  #29  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Did some upgrades yesterday. 2.0" Leveling Lift in the front and Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust.



2.0 Leveling Lift Added



Flowmaster Cat Back Exhaust Added
ToppDogg is offline  
Old 06-13-2018, 02:34 PM
  #30  
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 25
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default



HWY 20 Cascade Pass - 5,400'

Headed over the pass last week to a Jamboree. Pulled my TT and my ATV in the bed of the truck. She pulled the passes with ease.
ToppDogg is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to ToppDogg For This Useful Post:
tomt5078 (06-13-2018)


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2014 F-150 HDPP - New To Me


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: