Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Limted F150 Looking To Add Max Tow

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2013 Limted F150 Looking To Add Max Tow

Hey guys,

I am Thinking of adding the max tow package to my 2013 Limited F150. Right now I haul my track car on a open trailer, I have done it since 2013 with ease. Truck as been great, but I am thinking of getting a enclosed trailer and it adds some weight/wind resistance. I also want to be able to do a two car open trailer a couple times a year.

I would upgrade to a weight distribution hitch and anything else that makes sense.

is this possible? from a quick google search all I see for the max t ow is bigger mirrors (I have clip ons), (aux trans cooler which I have with the limited ecoboost), class v hitch, and gears?

let me know what you think and where i can get the hitch!

thanks
Old 06-19-2019, 09:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 4,134 Likes on 2,835 Posts

Originally Posted by Topplayer
Hey guys,

I am Thinking of adding the max tow package to my 2013 Limited F150. Right now I haul my track car on a open trailer, I have done it since 2013 with ease. Truck as been great, but I am thinking of getting a enclosed trailer and it adds some weight/wind resistance. I also want to be able to do a two car open trailer a couple times a year.

I would upgrade to a weight distribution hitch and anything else that makes sense.

is this possible? from a quick google search all I see for the max t ow is bigger mirrors (I have clip ons), (aux trans cooler which I have with the limited ecoboost), class v hitch, and gears?

thanks
you can add all you want BUT you can't change the door sticker weight rating. That is the end all be all when it comes to towing / hauling
The following users liked this post:
Deerchaser (06-20-2019)
Old 06-19-2019, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by djfllmn
you can add all you want BUT you can't change the door sticker weight rating. That is the end all be all when it comes to towing / hauling
I dont care about the door sticker, I am not worried about being pulled over. I am more concerned with how the truck will handle the added load, and how safe it will be.
Old 06-19-2019, 08:35 PM

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,194 Posts

Do you know what the max tow package for a 2013 includes? In the current generation, I believe it's a thicker sway bar, re-enforced hitch, and ITBC. More about maximizing the trucks stability in it's current form than actually providing real improvements.

You'd do better to install a Hellwig than upgrading the front bar. I cannot understand the logic of installing a sway bar at only one end of a truck.

Definitely add an ITBC if you don't have it.
Old 06-19-2019, 10:13 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar
Received 879 Likes on 686 Posts

I am Thinking of adding the max tow package to my 2013 Limited F150....is this possible? from a quick google search all I see for the max t ow is bigger mirrors (I have clip ons), (aux trans cooler which I have with the limited ecoboost), class v hitch, and gears?

You already have the regular tow pkg, so all the max tow adds is 3.73 e-locker rear axle, trailer tow mirrors, the integrated trailer brake controller, and a slightly heavier-duty receiver hitch..

If you are satisfied with the power of your truck when towing, then no need to spend he money to get the 3.73 E=locker axle. The other three items you can easily add from the parts department.

The trailer tow mirrors you will definitely need with an enclosed car hauler or "race" trailer. If you're happy with the trailer brake controller you're now using, then you can continue t use that.

The max tow hitch is built into the rear bumper. Notice the parts to the frame of the rear bumper, especially part #7 in this link:
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...omponents-rear

#7 has three different parts:
1] the part with the receiver for the regular tow pkg,
2] the part with the max tow receiver, and
3] the part with no receiver.

If your bumper includes the regular receiver, then there's probably no need to replace the receiver with the max tow receiver unless you are overloading the TW rating of your receiver. But if you want the max tow receiver, it's available for a bit over $200 from a discount Ford parts dealer. Per the link above, I suspect that this is the max tow receiver:
https://parts.autonationfordwhitebearlake.com/oem-parts/ford-reinforcement-9l3z17d826e

But verify that part number with your supplier before you spend the money.

Last edited by smokeywren; 06-19-2019 at 10:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 AM

Received 95 Likes on 68 Posts

I dont care about the door sticker, I am not worried about being pulled over. I am more concerned with how the truck will handle the added load, and how safe it will be.
Thats what the payload sticker is for! Not the cops.
Old 06-20-2019, 02:45 PM

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I've never seen an f150 pull a 2 car trailer. That sounds scary.
The following users liked this post:
13XLTEco (06-21-2019)
Old 06-20-2019, 04:57 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

The Max tow package in 2013 came with these things above and beyond the regular tow package:

Upgraded Receiver
Higher RAWR (4050 lbs, although I think trucks with 20" wheels came with this by default) which also means stiffer springs
Higher GVWR (7700 lbs) for additional payload
3.73 gears with locking diff
Tow Mirrors
Old 06-21-2019, 04:24 AM

Received 113 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mass-hole
The Max tow package in 2013 came with these things above and beyond the regular tow package:

Upgraded Receiver
Higher RAWR (4050 lbs, although I think trucks with 20" wheels came with this by default) which also means stiffer springs
Higher GVWR (7700 lbs) for additional payload
3.73 gears with locking diff
Tow Mirrors
doesn't it also come with a slightly thicker frame?
Old 06-21-2019, 07:41 AM

Thank you to everyone that replied. Pointed me in the right direction!

Quick Reply: 2013 Limted F150 Looking To Add Max Tow