Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 F150 - Burning Smell

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2017, 04:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 F150 - Burning Smell

2012 F150 4x4 - Currently Has 85k miles about 70k miles when problem first started.

Its been about a year or more since I first noticed the smell. No issues at all until we decided to pull our trailer over a mountain. Hit some snow and ice on the road and for about 5 miles, while towing the trailer, I had to put it into 4x4 Hi. Kept the speed at about 20 mph. I have never towed in 4x4 HI or LO, but it was necessary with all the ice and snow. I monitored the trans temp and it stayed under 200 the entire time.

When we got to our destination and came to a stop I immediately smelled a burning smell. Smelled like old crank case oil that was burning real hot. The smell dissipated to some degree, but is still there once it heats up and I come to a stop at an intersection, pull into our driveway or a drive up window.

Can smell it inside and outside the vehicle. Ive had people say it is making them sick and say it smells like burning transmission fluid, burning plastic and other similar smells.

Ive taken it to a Ford dealership three times and they have no ideas. On two occasions I asked the guys at Jiffy lube what they thought of the smell and though they could smell it they had no clue as they had never smelled anything like it and found no leaks. Same with the Ford dealer. My mechanic (other than Ford Dealer) cannot find a solution.

Even pressure washed the engine and trans area...even though no leaks were noted. Dont really notice the smell under the hood.

Any thoughts?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:25 AM
Some guy

Received 2,021 Likes on 1,284 Posts

Duplicate. Closed.

Quick Reply: 2012 F150 - Burning Smell