2.7 Ecoboost engine questions and pricing advice - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Go Back  Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans > Ford F150 Forums > Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing
2.7 Ecoboost engine questions and pricing advice >

2.7 Ecoboost engine questions and pricing advice

Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.7 Ecoboost engine questions and pricing advice

Old 02-15-2018, 01:19 PM

Default 2.7 Ecoboost engine questions and pricing advice

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum but have been hanging around awhile. I used to drive Fords all the time until I switched in 2000. But now I'm interested in purchasing a Ford F-150, but I need some advice. I've been getting conflicting answers on the engines. That's actually what brought me here, would love to hear from you guys that might have and use what I'm looking for.

I am looking at ordering an XLT with the sport package....and until I started talking to dealers, I was thinking about the 2.7 ecoboost engine. In part because of fuel mileage, in part because as I get older I don't feel the need for the "biggest" of everything anymore. I'm finding dealers are all across the board on this though.

I'm done with what I'd consider heavy towing anymore. I'll be purchasing a small trailer, 5X9 most likely, rounding up it should be in the vicinity of 1000#, most I would ever put in it is 2000#. And honestly, I doubt I'll even use the trailer a whole lot. Hauling a motorcycle once in awhile, moving kids in and out of college etc. So can you guys tell me, am I on the right track with the 2.7 ecoboost engine? Or should I go bigger? I know figures in the sales literature don't tell the whole story. I'm just trying to balance out fuel economy with a truck that can easily handle what I'm trying to use it for without going overboard. Any advice on the 2.7 would be helpful. I've had dealers tell me I need to go bigger. Some say it's fantastic and can outpull anything. Last dealer said "why would you do that?"

I am also genuinely curious, all the dealers so far seem to use the same price structure. MSRP minus the rebates Ford offers. Is that what I can expect? Or perhaps I should just hang in there because I'm not at all sure when the best time to purchase is.

Thank you for any advice you can offer me....Mark
Old 02-15-2018, 03:03 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Location: Midland County Texas, just west of the star in my avatar

Originally Posted by mtj679 View Post
So can you guys tell me, am I on the right track with the 2.7 ecoboost engine? Or should I go bigger?

Hi, mtj679, and WELCOME to our campfire.

If you are sure that the heaviest trailer you'll want to tow will not exceed about 3,500 pounds gross wet and loaded trailer weight, and you will pay attention and load the trailer to have less than 500 pounds hitch weight, then a properly-optioned F-150 with the 2.7L Ecoboost engine should be a good match for your needs.

But "properly-optioned" is the key. Make certain the F-150 has the:
2.7L EcoBoost Payload Package (option code 622)
Trailer Tow Package (option code 53A) required to get the payload pkg
Trailer brake controller (option code 67T) Yes, be certain your new trailer has electric brakes, so you'll need the brake controller
36-gallon gas tank (option code 655)

And if it's for me, it's also going to have the optional trailer tow mirrors (option code 54Y/59S)

And I love my 3.5L EcoBoost engine. The extra power and oomph it has makes it a fun vehicle to drive. And of course it will drag a much heavier trailer than the 2.7L. The 2.7L is probably all you need, but why not have more than you "need"? The difference in real-world MPG when not towing is nill.

I am also genuinely curious, all the dealers so far seem to use the same price structure. MSRP minus the rebates Ford offers. Is that what I can expect? Or perhaps I should just hang in there because I'm not at all sure when the best time to purchase is.
You're apparently talking to salesmen. NEVER talk to a salesmen. Deal only with a manager, such as the fleet manager. When you park and the lot lizzards ask if they can help you, say "I'm here to see the fleet manager".

When you see the fleet manager, ask "will you sell me a new F-150 for $500 over invoice, minus all Ford incentives and plus TT&L (tax, title and license plates)? If he says yes, you're almost through with the price negotiations. Later, after you've agreed on the exact truck you're buying or ordering, then you get to the point of reducing the deal to paper, then is the time to be sure the paper work doesn't include extra charges for anything such as dealer prep or inventory tax or any charge that they say is "on all the sales contracts". The bottom line should be invoice plus $500 plus TT&L minus rebates and other Ford incentives such as low-interest financing.

$500 over invoice is a good price for you and about the normal price most dealerships settle on after all the negotiation tricks. If you're a really good negotiator, you can get even a better deal, but I usually don't bother.

The manager will probably turn you over to a salesman to complete the deal of finding or ordering your new F-150, and that's okay as long as you don't discuss price with the salesman.

If the dealer doesn't have your exact truck in stock, he can do a search of the inventory of other dealers to find your truck. If there's not one in captivity anywhere within a reasonable distance, then you can special order the truck and wait for the order&ship time of about 6 to 8 weeks for it to be delivered to your dealer. (Dealers never have my exact vehicle in stock, so I usually wind up ordering it to get exactly what I want.)
The Following User Says Thank You to smokeywren For This Useful Post:
mtj679 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:26 PM
Senile member

Remember, the more options you put on, the lower your payload is gonna be, unless you get the heavy duty payload package (is that even available on the 2.7?)

If you don't NEED the 36g tank, you can do without, that's for sure.
The Following User Says Thank You to chimmike For This Useful Post:
mtj679 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 03:48 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Originally Posted by chimmike View Post
Remember, the more options you put on, the lower your payload is gonna be, unless you get the heavy duty payload package (is that even available on the 2.7?)
No. HDPP requires the 5.0L or 3.5L EcoBoost engine. The 2.7L has it's own optional payload pkg, but it's not nearly as robust as the HDPP.

If you don't NEED the 36g tank, you can do without, that's for sure.
Of course, but you'll probably regret that decision, especially when towing a 3,500 pound trailer. Your MPG falls down to around 10 MPG, so you have to begin looking for a gas station after about 200 miles. And out west, 200 miles is not very far.
mtj679 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 07:48 PM

Thank you for the replies guys...and right up front let me say I'm sorry if I throw any stupid questions out there, I'm sure I will sooner or later, probably sooner...

Smokeywren...I'm wondering, you mention 2.7 Ecoboost "Payload Package"....is that something over and above just ordering the 2.7 L Ecoboost? Because on the couple estimates I've received, it says nothing about a "Payload package"....they just say 2.7 V6 Ecoboost. I'm assuming same thing?

I estimated 3500# as a worst case scenario. For starters, I doubt I'll ever pull that much. I've had enough of trailers in my life, I go out of my way not to use them. Using this truck for the 4X4 because I live out in the country, also for the extra room a truck provides as opposed to an SUV, that comes in handy hauling kids to and from college.

If I have more to pull, I'll hire it done. Plus, my light trailer loads will be taking the kids and their "stuff" back and forth to school. Other than that, I have no excuse to hook up to a trailer except for local runs. Lawn mowers and such. I'll use a trailer at most a dozen times a year. Thats at the very most. Most likely I'll also purchase an aluminum trailer to keep the weight down.

I have figured on the trailer towing package. I'm smart enough to realize that the extra cooling etc is just a wise decision, so I can sure see the sense in that...

The 3.5 Ecoboost--this is the big question....I'm trying to figure out of it's worth the extra money, and again, if it won't be overkill. One dealer told me the 3.5 is "much" harder on fuel. I have power up the ying yang with what I have now, and seldom if ever have the use for it....I do understand the logic of having more than I need, but I guess I'm just wondering if I'll have more than I need with the 2.7. Not trying to talk myself into or out of anything, just trying to sort through what info I have gathered from dealers, and that varies....alot!

Currently driving a 2001 Dodge Ram with 325,000 miles on it. When new I was getting 23-25 mpg, still getting around 19. 16 or so pulling a 16 ft gooseneck trailer. 32 gallon fuel tank, I don't think I can bring myself to going to a 36 gallon fuel tank! Scares me just thinking about it :-) I used to trade (Fords) every couple years back in the 80's-90's. When I bought the Dodge with the Cummins engine, I couldn't give it up for the fuel mileage. These days as I drive down the road pcs are falling off though so it's time to update :-)

I will definitely heed your advice on who to deal with at the dealerships.....

Thank you gentlemen....
Old 02-15-2018, 08:53 PM
Grumpy Old Man

Smokeywren...I'm wondering, you mention 2.7 Ecoboost "Payload Package"....is that something over and above just ordering the 2.7 L Ecoboost? Because on the couple estimates I've received, it says nothing about a "Payload package"....they just say 2.7 V6 Ecoboost. I'm assuming same thing?

No, not the same thing at all. The 2.7L is the engine. With stock suspension, the F-150 with the 2.7L EcoBoost engine is at best a grocery getter and cannot haul much weight. A small family and maybe a rowboat and your payload capacity is maxed out.

The 2.7L V6 payload package is a separate option that adds payload capacity so you can tow a small trailer without exceeding the payload capacity of your F-150.

The 2.7L EcoBoost engine is a powerful rascal, a "Mighty Mite", but don't even think about buying one without the 2.7L EcoBoost Payload package if you don't want to be overloaded when moving the kid to college.

Surf to www.ford.com and build&price an F-150 with the 2.7L engine and note the options. You'll see the 2.7L payload package. But don't confuse the 2.7L Payload pkg with the much heavier duty Heavy Duty Payload Package (HDPP) that is not available with the 2.7L engine.
mtj679 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 09:29 PM

Thank you for that smokeywren! I wouldn't have known....I do have a sheet he scribbled out and I left myself a note to ask because he wrote down 6600# GVWR package was included....I'll research this but may I ask is this the same payload package you mention? Funny, I see that one one of my sheets but not the other...

I don't need much but definitely need more than a grocery getter!

Thank you so much for the help....I'll go to www.ford.com a little later this evening for sure....
Old 02-15-2018, 10:50 PM

Right now, I am sitting in a hotel room in the middle of Pennsylvania after a 3 hour drive up/down the hills towing a 3,500lb Uhaul with 2 adults, 2 kids and luggage. The big, 2 axle Uhaul is literally full. 1400 Miles to go.

Vehicle: 2016 XLT with 2.7EB SCREW 4WD and sport package.
1) my gauge says I got 15.1 mpg (all highway). After 190 Miles, the gas gauge is 1/2 full. When I am not towing, I get 20 mpg in mixed driving and 23mpg on the highway.
3) regardless of which version you get, payload (not engine) is likely to be what limits what you can tow. If you are worried about it, get the 3.5 and the HDPP. Given your history with the Dodge, I don’t think you’ll be happy in the 2.7EB.

What I would order different:
1) if available. I would get the power folding mirrors. If I towed big trailers often, extended tow mirrors would be great.
2) make sure your vehicle comes with the backup camera and rear sensors. Mine only had the camera and I worry about hitting idiot pedestrians (who are walking with heads in thier phones and up thier ...)

Last edited by UncleFester; 02-15-2018 at 10:58 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to UncleFester For This Useful Post:
mtj679 (02-15-2018)
Old 02-17-2018, 07:19 PM

More questions guys....
Still trying to figure out how some of this works. Tryed to "configure" a new 150 with my local dealer today. Gong in I was keeping my mind open on engine options. For now I just told him to keep the 2.7L ecoboost in the paperwork. I asked him to add the towing package and the payload package. He said by doing that, he had to remove the 302A package.

I'm curious what the reason is for this? The 302A pkg is stuff like heated seats, Sync 3, remote start system, all that good creature comfort stuff. I'm just curious what one has to do with the other is all....

But make no mistake, I'm not stuck on the 2.7 ecoboost. I have no trouble going to a bigger engine. But going to that bigger engine in order to get the extra transmission oil cooler etc, looks like I'd have to add not only the towing pkg and the Heavy Duty Payload package. But then I'm looking at the larger fuel tank, more weight & such and that seems like a lot considering I won't be towing a whole lot and never over that 3500# area.

What I'm trying to do is strike a balance, get in the truck I like with the options I want without building it into a tank.

Perhaps I should be asking this. If you were going out today and ordering a truck, and you just want to be very comfortable knowing the truck can handle a combined total trailer & cargo of 3500#, what would be a good combination of engine, gear ratio, towing/payload packages and also taking fuel mileage and not "over-building" it into consideration? I drive like a little old lady, probably keep the truck at least 5 years and 100,000 miles, and seeing how terrible I am at getting this figured out, probably keep it a lot longer!

I think I might be over thinking this whole thing but I really want to get it right. Thanks!
Old 02-17-2018, 08:21 PM
Grumpy Old Man

... If you were going out today and ordering a truck, and you just want to be very comfortable knowing the truck can handle a combined total trailer & cargo of 3500#, what would be a good combination of engine, gear ratio, towing/payload packages and also taking fuel mileage and not "over-building" it into consideration?

First, ignore that dinky little 2.7L engine and go for the 3.5L EcoBoost engine. You don't need HDPP with your requirements, but I wouldn't buy the F-150 without the Max Tow pkg. Unlike the HDPP, there at few restrictions to what you can order with the Max Tow Pkg.

With Max Tow, you can have any trim level you want, from XL to Platinum. And any bed length that's available with your choice of cab. You can order the "luxury" trim packages of XLT 302A or Lariat 502A to get those things you mentioned.

Max tow requires the 3.5L EcoBoost engine. It includes the trailer brake controller and 35-gallon gas tank, as well as increased engine and tranny cooling, and trailer hitch. It also included the 3.55 e-locker axle, which is a good compromise for economy and trailer towing power. It does NOT include the tow mirrors that you should want, so be sure to get them as a stand-alone option.

You'll probably be glad you have the bigger gas tank. Nothing says you have to fill it up when you buy gas, so if you don't want the weight or expense of the extra gas, then don't fill up. When you need gas, add maybe 20 gallons. But if you do someday need to tow a trailer across areas where fuel stops are few and far between, you'll be glad you have the extra capacity.

The 3.5L EcoBoost engine can be an "economy" engine if you keep your foot out of the turbos. I can easily get 20 MPG on mine if I poke along and baby the engine. But I'm an old hot-rodder from the 1950s, so I drive it like I stole it and then buy whatever gas I need. If you romp on the engine, then it's going to giddy up and go, and when those twin turbos open up, the MPG goes in the gutter. Same with the 2.7L engine, but a lot less power so a little better MPG when it's working hard.

Last edited by smokeywren; 02-17-2018 at 08:24 PM. Reason: typos
mtj679 (02-17-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.7 Ecoboost engine questions and pricing advice

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: