Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1999 Ford F-150 Payload cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Ford F-150 Payload cap

I know how to calculate this based on GVWR but does anybody know off hand? I know its not quite the same for each variation.

1999 Ford F-150 supercab 6.5' bed
2 wheel drive
4.6 lt V-8
overload springs with tow package
Old 09-12-2017, 11:54 AM

Default 1 Yard of Crushed Stone

1 cubic yard of crushed stone

Definitely pushing things a little but it was only a 15 minute drive and everything seemed to be okay. The truck squatted to the point of being level and when I checked the axle stops I still had 3-4inches to go before it would be bottomed out. But I don't think I would do a full yard again just seems to abusive I will go with 1/2-2/3 yard in the future to ensure I'm within the payload capacity. Its not like this old truck is under warranty or borrowed so I'm the only one who pays if the frame bends.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:47 PM

Received 897 Likes on 680 Posts

Is it on the door sticker like the new trucks? They have a yellow sticker that tells you the maximum payload capacity based off the trucks specific options.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:03 PM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by mass-hole
Is it on the door sticker like the new trucks? They have a yellow sticker that tells you the maximum payload capacity based off the trucks specific options.
I don't think they did that then( my '03 F150 has only the white sticker). GVWR, GFAWR, GRAWR are the important numbers for hauling stuff. The "payload" or "Cargo Capacity" is just the empty curb weight subtracted from GVWR. That gross rating is the deciding number.
Old 09-12-2017, 07:12 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I put 2100 pounds of firewood in my truck, same as yours, a couple of times but I don't think I'd do a yard of stone. My sticker says 6050 GVW and I know the truck is about 4600 empty with me in it (numerous scales) so theoretically that is 1450 pounds payload.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by JCH841
I put 2100 pounds of firewood in my truck, same as yours, a couple of times but I don't think I'd do a yard of stone. My sticker says 6050 GVW and I know the truck is about 4600 empty with me in it (numerous scales) so theoretically that is 1450 pounds payload.

Ya your right mine says 6050lbs too and may be lighter than yours if you have 4 wheel drive.

Something I would like the exact answer to is what is the difference between our trucks and those 1998 F-250's that look identical? Is it the chassis, axles, or tires or maybe a little of all three. I am very curious because if the chassis was basically the same then the limiting items would be the axle and the tires. That would mean that I could upgrade my truck with a F-250 axle and leafs and basically increase my load capacity. Just a thought I would hate to weaken the frame by hauling too much weight but it would be cool if I could go to the junk yard and upgrade my rear axle thereby increasing my load capacity.

Some of this stuff is the legality of what they told the DOT and some of it is actual engineering limits due to stress and fatigue. I'm not too concerned with occasionally for personal use exceeding the GVWR as long as I knew that the truck wasn't really overloaded.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:57 AM
Official HTT Greeter

Received 328 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by kbechtel
Ya your right mine says 6050lbs too and may be lighter than yours if you have 4 wheel drive.

Something I would like the exact answer to is what is the difference between our trucks and those 1998 F-250's that look identical? Is it the chassis, axles, or tires or maybe a little of all three. I am very curious because if the chassis was basically the same then the limiting items would be the axle and the tires. That would mean that I could upgrade my truck with a F-250 axle and leafs and basically increase my load capacity. Just a thought I would hate to weaken the frame by hauling too much weight but it would be cool if I could go to the junk yard and upgrade my rear axle thereby increasing my load capacity.

Some of this stuff is the legality of what they told the DOT and some of it is actual engineering limits due to stress and fatigue. I'm not too concerned with occasionally for personal use exceeding the GVWR as long as I knew that the truck wasn't really overloaded.
Aren't they 7 or 8 lug axles? I think they're basically a Heavy duty 1/2 ton or Light duty 3/4 ton. Kinda like the HDPP F150 we have now.

If that's the case, then it could very well have a different frame as we do now. But I can't say for certain.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by SixShooter14
Aren't they 7 or 8 lug axles? I think they're basically a Heavy duty 1/2 ton or Light duty 3/4 ton. Kinda like the HDPP F150 we have now.

If that's the case, then it could very well have a different frame as we do now. But I can't say for certain.
The F250's that look like the F150s were 8 lug. I think only the F150 HDPP was 7.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by kbechtel

The F250's were 8 lug, but my guess is its a lot more than just axles, wheels and springs. The Heavy Duty payload package F150's use thicker frames than the regular F150's, so I would imagine the F250 version also used a heavier duty frame just with an F150 body mounted to it. They had like an 8800 lb GVWR or something.
Old 09-13-2017, 08:30 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

My F150 is 2WD. Looked at the F250 light duty, but they were scarce and not in the right place at the right time. I had a 86 F250 light duty and it was indestructible in my hands; had 3200 pounds of firewood in it a couple of times! As I recall, since I was looking, the LD F250's had thicker frames, a 5300 pound rated 7 lug semi floating rear axle and a heavier front axle rating; obviously springs to match. My F150 has a 3800 pound rated 5 lug rear axle with bearing retainers on the axle ends. (The semi-floater has the axles retained by circlips in the diff; had to change axle seals once on the F250.)

Quick Reply: 1999 Ford F-150 Payload cap