Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10k TT with 1349lb tongue weight - f150

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 08:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 10k TT with 1349lb tongue weight - f150

hi, I've ordered a new f150 xlt sport fx4 -max tow Screw,(due May 23rd) rated for 10700 towing....my trailer which i only move a couple times a year is a pretty heavy bast#$d...i've already seen the 3.5l eco in action so don't expect issue with pulling power my concern is the tongue weigh at 1349lbs and what WDH setup would experienced folks on here recommend. We are planning on getting another TT, but only in a couple years, which will be smaller, anyways i would appreciate feedback or considerations for the current setup.

thanks Mike
Old 05-05-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Your issue is PAYLOAD, plus going over your tongue load capacity (1,220 for a WDH I believe). Hopefully one of the experts will show you how it's feasible, if it is. I find it unfortunate when people come here AFTER they've ordered a new truck, or trailer, or both. The good news is that IF you have an issue you're not locked in - you can move up to an F-250 if you need to. Lots to read in this section of the forum.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:52 AM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

Wow that is a heavy hitch for just a 10000 lb trailer. Can you move stuff back in the trailer to lighten the hitch up. I regularly tow a 10300 lb trailer, but it has just 940 lbs of hitch weight.
No it does not sway as some may try to tell you.
If the truck and trailer are in good shape, and you have great tires, keep them inflated properly, 9 percent is enough on the hitch. That just seems a bit heavy on the hitch for my liking. Did you upgrade to LT tires on the truck from P. That alone makes such a huge difference. I run michelin LT tires at 55psi front/60psi rear. Hope all works out well for you!
Old 05-05-2015, 11:41 AM

Yeah it certainly is, to be clear if not acceptable to pull this trailer , it's not a show stopper but it would be nice instead of getting a family mem. to move it ( to family spot on the island for a few weeks and back to our permanent seasonal spot), anyways i have scanned some of the discussions and i'm still struggling with the calculations, i hate being such a Gumby but maybe someone can sort me out; my trailer shows:

UVW (unloaded vehicle Weight) 7262 lbs
Dry Hitch Wt. 1349
Dry axel Wt. 5903
NCC (net carrier capacity) 2738
GVWR 10,000

I haven't got the numbers for the truck yet, but except something like 1700 and 10700 for towing....
Old 05-05-2015, 12:18 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

Originally Posted by Micro Balanced
Yeah it certainly is, to be clear if not acceptable to pull this trailer , it's not a show stopper but it would be nice instead of getting a family mem. to move it ( to family spot on the island for a few weeks and back to our permanent seasonal spot), anyways i have scanned some of the discussions and i'm still struggling with the calculations, i hate being such a Gumby but maybe someone can sort me out; my trailer shows:

UVW (unloaded vehicle Weight) 7262 lbs
Dry Hitch Wt. 1349
Dry axel Wt. 5903
NCC (net carrier capacity) 2738
GVWR 10,000

I haven't got the numbers for the truck yet, but except something like 1700 and 10700 for towing....
That 1,349 pounds of hitch weight is without anything loaded into the trailer? Add in food, pots and pans, tools, bedding, ... and the trailer gets heavier increasing the hitch weight.

Assuming you get 1,700 pounds of PAYLOAD, you have to subtract from that everyone except for the driver (unless the driver weighs more than 150 pounds, in which case you have to subtract the excess) plus anything you load in the vehicle (luggage, tools, etc) plus anything you added after the factory delivered it to you (tonneau cover, etc.), PLUS the weight of the weight distribution hitch and it's add-on parts. You likely could be down to the 1,000 pound area. Maybe 1,200 if you're lucky. With a hitch that has a max capacity of 1,220 and a trailer tongue that weighs more than that.

If you have a vehicle today that tows it today, you should get to the scales and get an accurate, LOADED, tongue weight and total trailer weight. You may find that you need to change to a different vehicle, which learning now is best - because you can get your deposit back and continue your search.
Old 05-06-2015, 06:41 AM

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

That sounds like a toy hauler, with the heavy dry tongue weight and high NCC.

Typically with these if you load most of that NCC in the rear, behind the axles, your tongue weight will drop to something more reasonable.
Old 05-06-2015, 07:35 AM

Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts

Think you need to head to the scales and see what YOUR NUMBERS ARE...looks like unloaded or even with some load and a WDH you would be fine. I bet at the scales you are no where near 1300+ tongue weight unloaded.
Old 05-06-2015, 10:23 AM

thanks for the responses, I think with just me in the truck and minimal in the trailer for a total of +- 7700, the tongue Wt has to be reduced to get me under the 1220 max, i'm thinking the 1359 has to be based on the full 10k.
I'm going to be getting a new setup WDH so i'll has to make sure it has capacity to the heavier tongue wt i.e 1200 lbs.

regards for now, Mike
Old 05-06-2015, 10:52 AM
Cowboy of the Skies

Received 167 Likes on 134 Posts

It really does depend on how you load it.
My travel trailer has much more hitch weight if no water etc in it.
The water tanks and stuff are at the back.
So as we add fresh water the hitch weight drops significantly.
If it is a toy hauler then once you load quads or whatever behind the rear trailer axles that hitch weight will reduce lots.
Just Always remember that when you are towing your primary concern is to do so safely.....and not how fast you can drive. ...some idiots feel a need to tow and drive as fast as they can, tailgate etc.
If its a travel trailer go into holiday mod, relax, slow down, and enjoy the journey.

Quick Reply: 10k TT with 1349lb tongue weight - f150