Topic Sponsor
Towing/ Hauling/ Plowing Discuss all of your towing and/or cargo moving experiences here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 speed transmission overheat while towing

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10 speed transmission overheat while towing

I have 2017 3.5L ECOBOOST SCREW 10 Speed. I recently was towing my boat fully loaded was about 5000lbs. I was going 70 mph on cruise control and used the manual shift selector to deselect 9th and 10th gear to avoid hunting on the hills. At one point I decide to put 9th gear back in to see what would happen. On a long flat stretch of road the truck shifted to 9th and RPM dropped to around 2000 and everything appeared fine for about 2 min. Then still in the flat section of the road I heard what sounded like the truck downshifting and the RPm began to rise. However the display still showed 9th gear. Rpm steadily rose to over 3500 rpm while showing Still in 9th gear. Speed slowed a little. Before I realized what was happened I looked at the trans temp gauge and it was up to 251 degrees F. I immediately took truck off cruise and down to 55 mph until temps stabilized. Any ideas on what happened or if I caused any permanent damage? Is this something I should bring in for warranty work?
Old 06-17-2018, 11:13 AM

Received 157 Likes on 113 Posts

Maybe just pushed it too hard? Don't have an answer about any damage, But how your truck acted when the trans got too hot, maybe a fail safe kicked in.
Do you have the Max Tow Package?
Old 06-17-2018, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Bluewoo
Maybe just pushed it too hard? Don't have an answer about any damage, But how your truck acted when the trans got too hot, maybe a fail safe kicked in.
Do you have the Max Tow Package?

I don’t have max tow package. But even without it I would expect the truck to handle that load with ease without overheating worries. I actually previously towed a 7000lbs travel trailer with no overheating issues so this one seemed like more of a glitch in the transmission shifting causing it to overheat.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:01 PM

Received 47 Likes on 28 Posts

Looks like your torque converter unlocked. An unlocked torque converter produce a lot of heat fast.
Old 06-19-2018, 02:36 PM

I didn't ask you about Tow/Haul mode, did you have it on? If not then that's it!
Running to low of an RPM (it still pulls) But it causes to much heat to build up (engine-turbos-tran).

The Ike gauntlet vids I never see an over heat and they are at full throttle, not running the highest gear by using Tow haul the cpu eliminates this.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
*Save you some reading- heres what im talking about.

Posted By: ShinerBock on 06/15/15 12:40pm
OP, there is a bit of misinformation here(which is probably due to some not owning a turbocharged engine) so watch out who you get info from and do a bit of research to verify.

First off, higher octane does make the engine run lean. It only allows the engine to advance timing since the higher octane fuel is more resistant to "pre-detonation". High loads and high temps will generally increase the chances of pre-detonation with regular octane so a premium octane is recommended in these cases.

Secondly, high temps are not only due to it being a small engine. With a turbocharged engine of any size you have to watch your EGTs(Exhaust Gas Temperature). EGT's will shoot up really high when the engine is at low rpm, but a high load/boost on the turbo. As I said this will happen in any size turbocharged engine whether it is your Ecoboost, a 6.7L Cummins, or a 15L Cat/Cummins. The cause is being in to high of a gear in a high load/boost situation. With the amount of torque these engines put out they can pull a hill in a higher gear, but it is not wise to do so for long hills due to the EGTs. Take my 6.7L Cummins for example. Power wise, it will pull 7k up a hill in 6th gear at 1500 rpm doing 70 mph all day long. However, this low rpm and high boost situation causes my EGTs to sky rocket on lomg hills so I drop it down to 5th to around 2000 rpm to keep the EGTs down. This happens with big 18 wheeler diesels as well so it does not matter the engine size and each engine type has its right rpm range to keep its EGTs down.

What probably happen in your case was that it was pulling a hill at too low of a gear which caused your EGTs to go up along with your turbos. Since your turbos are water and oil cooled, this caused your coolant temp to go up as well. The truck nannies probably kicked in to drop you to a lower gear to raise the rpms so your EGTs will drop. With my 2011 Ecoboost, I have an app that tells me my temps. If I am pulling a hill in the 2000-3000 rpm range then I EGTs would start to climb on a long hill. If I dropped it down a gear to pull the hill at 3000-4000rpm then the EGTs always stayed at a safe temp along with the coolant temp.

* This post was edited 06/15/15 01:12pm by ShinerBock *

Last edited by Bluewoo; 06-19-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by mtber
Looks like your torque converter unlocked. An unlocked torque converter produce a lot of heat fast.
I cannot get it to happen again seems like a one time occurrence. Just more concerned now if I need to take it in to have the transmission serviced/fluid changed.
Old 06-19-2018, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Bluewoo
I didn't ask you about Tow/Haul mode, did you have it on? If not then that's it!
Running to low of an RPM (it still pulls) But it causes to much heat to build up (engine-turbos-tran).

The Ike gauntlet vids I never see an over heat and they are at full throttle, not running the highest gear by using Tow haul the cpu eliminates this.

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/f...print/true.cfm
*Save you some reading- heres what im talking about.
Yes I was using tow haul mode. Thanks for the link you shared good information. I still feel like in tow haul mode the truck should have automatically downshifted to maintain normal trans temp. Instead my truck just stayed in 9th gear and kept pushing rpm higher and higher causing the excess heat. Now the question is to I need to change transmission fluid after it reached 251 degrees for a minute?
Old 06-19-2018, 03:18 PM

Received 669 Likes on 459 Posts

New transmissions run hotter so I wouldn't be concerned for that small amount of time.
Old 06-19-2018, 07:22 PM

If your not happy then just have the dealer change it, there is a dipstick(sniff test) but you have to get it from under the truck.
All I can say is maybe for what ever reason it just reached its limits and got too hot.

I used to drive a chev sprint (3 cyl) and it would start to run hot going down a long mountain stretch due to the wind was blowing down the mountain so strong you could have the window open an just feel a little air flow- same day going home I could just manage 45 mph up it and not running hot to the floor, Couldn't keep windows open LMAO!!

Keep us posted!!

Quick Reply: 10 speed transmission overheat while towing