Infinite Scroll, Related Threads and You. - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Site News and Update Information Here we will inform members of the new updates and additions to the forum.

Infinite Scroll, Related Threads and You.

Old 03-05-2018, 03:31 PM
  #1  
IB Staff
Thread Starter
 
IB Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 161
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default Infinite Scroll, Related Threads and You.

We are launching a new, simpler way to read F150Forum: Infinite Scroll.

Instead of needing to click "Next" in a thread to read additional pages, you will see a layout that automatically loads the next page of a thread as you scroll. We've also updated a few other parts of the layout so they remain easily accessible while you read, including access to thread search, a button to jump to the first unread post, and a Quick Reply box that lets you type a reply while scrolling through the thread content.

We're happy to answer any questions you may have about the new functionality of the site. If you would like to keep the standard thread view with separate pages, or simply want to remove related threads, head to the User CP > Edit Options page and simply disable “Infinite Scroll” or “Related Threads.”

**For users using the mobile template on their phones, I would to add that the User CP option to disable infinite scroll and related threads does NOT apply to the mobile template.
IB Jose is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to IB Jose For This Useful Post:
dannytexas (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 03:38 PM
  #2  
Army Dude
 
BlackBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,039
Thanked 968 Times in 685 Posts
Default

Please get rid of this or give us an option to turn it off. It's the most annoying feature on the mobile site and now it's everywhere... If I want to read the next or previous page, it's not hard to click "next" or "previous".

This makes the site 100x slower on my work computer and when browsing via 4G on a laptop... Too clunky, not smooth at all, just like the mobile site...
BlackBoost is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to BlackBoost For This Useful Post:
ZSK (03-28-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 03:39 PM
  #3  
IB Staff
Thread Starter
 
IB Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 161
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by IB Jose View Post
If you would like to keep the standard thread view with separate pages, or simply want to remove related threads, head to the User CP > Edit Options page and simply disable “Infinite Scroll” or “Related Threads.”

**For users using the mobile template on their phones, I would to add that the User CP option to disable infinite scroll and related threads does NOT apply to the mobile template.

Yes, you can turn it off.
IB Jose is offline  
Old 03-05-2018, 03:47 PM
  #4  
Army Dude
 
BlackBoost's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,039
Thanked 968 Times in 685 Posts
Default

Thank God, done. Back to normals...

This should be an opt-in feature update, not opt-out. You shouldn't force a new setting on users. Or at least if you do, make it clear how to undo it. And if you can do that, you can just as easily notify them of a new feature they can turn on, which is best practice.

Last edited by BlackBoost; 03-05-2018 at 03:53 PM.
BlackBoost is offline  
Old 03-05-2018, 03:55 PM
  #5  
IB Staff
Thread Starter
 
IB Jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 161
Thanked 29 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BlackBoost View Post
Thank God, done. Back to normals...

This should be an opt-in feature update, not opt-out. You shouldn't force a new setting on users. Or at least if you do, make it clear how to undo it. And if you can do that, you can just as easily notify them of a new feature they can turn on, which is best practice.
Since we couldn't figure out how to make it an opt-in feature, we try to make it clear in the announcement that it is an opt-out-able feature.
IB Jose is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to IB Jose For This Useful Post:
BlackBoost (03-05-2018)
Old 03-05-2018, 05:18 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,139
Thanked 233 Times in 172 Posts
Default

This may be handy for 2 or thread pages, but when I go to read through the FORscan thread and want to go to page 358 I have to scroll for an hour now? Dislike this feature, but glad I can turn it off.
redranger04g is offline  
Old 03-05-2018, 05:31 PM
  #7  
Moderator
 
BadFish523's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Arlen, Texas
Posts: 5,132
Thanked 649 Times in 541 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by redranger04g View Post
This may be handy for 2 or thread pages, but when I go to read through the FORscan thread and want to go to page 358 I have to scroll for an hour now? Dislike this feature, but glad I can turn it off.
At the bottom right on the bar there is a box that says "go to page..." Just type in the page you want to go to and you're there man.
BadFish523 is online now  
Old 03-06-2018, 07:16 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
 
powerranger262's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Hartford, WI
Posts: 4,275
Thanked 525 Times in 420 Posts
Default

Glad you made this thread to let everyone know how to get rid of it. Couple aggravating days until I figured out how to switch it off.
I've already expressed my dislike of it in the other thread, so I don' need to go into that. I would like to say though, that the mods have been listening and explaining things very well. I realize that these changes are more of a pain in the *** for you, than it really is for us. You have been very patient with everyone, and again, have done a good job working through it with the members.
powerranger262 is offline  
Old 03-06-2018, 07:26 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 1,139
Thanked 233 Times in 172 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by BadFish523 View Post
At the bottom right on the bar there is a box that says "go to page..." Just type in the page you want to go to and you're there man.
Well don't I look dumb. Thank you for pointing that out.
redranger04g is offline  
Old 03-07-2018, 09:15 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
k.b.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Great Lake State
Posts: 1,291
Thanked 337 Times in 235 Posts
Default

There's an extremely thin line between a really dumb idea and a totally genius one. This ranks
right up there with the photo
k.b. is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Infinite Scroll, Related Threads and You.


Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: