Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SLICK's 2003 KR Build

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2018, 04:17 AM
Slick

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default SLICK's 03 King Ranch 4x4

Welcome to my build thread. This is actually going to be the place I document what is being done to my truck.

Starting with acquisition on Sept 6,2018.
The Original Owner said it was in much better shape than it is actually in. I have known this truck and the owner since 2009 and even drove it a few times back then. It was left pretty much as a weekend dump runner for the past 5 years. It has also had a moon roof leak that long which trashed the carpeting. I have posted pictures in an album of the as bought condition. I waited a week to pick it up and should have trailered it home. Both of the front calipers were sticking and the brand new rotors were heating up quickly. I drove the 18 miles below 50 MPH and stopped frequently to keep them as cool as I could. I should start brake repairs this weekend.

Things I want to do are:
Gotts MOD
Zip Ties on throttle cable
Front Receiver Hitch
Rear Bumper replacement - original one rusted
Both front door bottom rust repair
Passenger side rocker panel replacement
Spa Treatment to seats
Clean Carpet

Thanks for watching...

Last edited by W3BY; 10-08-2018 at 02:44 AM. Reason: Change title, removed the word Build
Old 09-20-2018, 02:33 PM
Slick

Today I purchased a used rear bumper and a bull bar locally from Facebook Market Place. Not sure if I will install bull bar because I'd lose the use of the front tow hooks, I'll decide later. Here is old rear bumper and a front view.

Rear - First day home

Right Front - First day home

I also received my Leather CPR, Towels and No-Tears Baby Shampoo to complete the restoration on the seats. Here are before pictures of seats...

Passenger seat and floor are needing lots of care.

Back seats don't look too bad

A week ago I did a temporary fix to the leaky moon roof and will pick up the parts to finish that later.
I also cleaned some of the floor area, which was moldy, to see how well it would clean up. It isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be because all the carpeting is rubber backed, but the smell needs to go away before the DW will ride in it.
Old 09-23-2018, 11:22 PM
Slick

It rained today, hard, and after it slowed and almost stopped, I went out to inspect for water on the floor mats.... it was soaked again. Coming out of door pillar/assist handle. Time to search a little more for the source.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:27 PM
Slick

Thumbs up

No time spent on the truck since the last rain, rained today and yes there are water droplets on a-pillars and the floors are still wet . Maybe I can talk the DW into leaving her van outside for a few days so I can put the truck in the garage and do a little work, brakes, rear brake light, rear window trim, sunroof and maybe even get a chance to clean it up a little. I guess it is time for flowers and treats to soften the DW up. LOL
Old 09-27-2018, 07:20 PM
Slick

Well it went into the garage today for a few minutes. jacked up Passenger side front to remove tire to inspect brake caliper and stopped....... there were two puddles under the truck.
First was transmission cooling lines leaking on my floor.

Leaky transmission cooler lines

Second was brake fluid from steel rear line, attached to frame, where the frame bends from rear axle.

wet frame from a ruptured brake line
NOT A HAPPY CAMPER TODAY!!!

Back to the parts store!!!!
Old 10-01-2018, 04:23 AM
Slick

When things go to **** they go quite fast. Yesterday was a great day to ride the motorcycle, so the DW and I went out and had a great day riding the back roads of Southern Maryland. After getting home I decided to look at a few things, like torsion bars, brake lines and the rusted rear bumper.

I cranked the t-bars 3 turns, each side, and will see how that does once I get the truck rolling down the road.

I then crawled around the rear and removed the rear bumper, this is where things took a turn. I had the two bumpers laying side by side and they are different, the one I bought is 2" wider and shaped differently on the outside ends. I will try to remember to take a picture and post later today. I will have a bumper for sale. LOL

I looked over the brake line leak and decided that only the line from ABS block to the flex hose on rear end needs replacing. I may even be able to just do from mid truck-back if I can salvage the connection. I will try to get under there later on today and see what is required. I noted on others posts that some users are purchasing ready made lines in 72" and 12" lengths with a coupler and they say that is enough. I have a couple friends with flair tools and can purchase tubing local or on A****n. Not sure which way to go but either way, I'm going to remove the line which is bad and plug the system to keep moisture and dirt out till I decide. I can then measure lengths and decide which way to go. Any suggestions?

I'm not going to mess with inside/comedic things till I get the mechanical stuff done. Good Night world!

Last edited by W3BY; 10-08-2018 at 02:58 AM.
Old 10-07-2018, 02:12 AM
Slick

I crawled underneath the truck and removed the old brake line.

Old brake line with new one taped along side of it for bending template.

It had a hole about .06 diameter rusted thru in one spot and a few pin holes close to that one. I went to local auto parts store and bought NiCopp brake lines, which are flared with fittings, in 72" and 12" lengths. I also bought a 3/8-24 Inverted flare to M12x1.0 bubble flare adapter. After bending the lines and covering the ends to prevent foreign materials from contaminating the new lines, I snaked the lines through the frame and connected it all up to the original clips still on the truck. Flushed the old brake fluid out and bled the brake lines, then went for a test drive. Brake pedal is nice and firm, no visible leaks and no indication of sticking calipers. I did put some silicone lube on the ends of the brake pads and the caliper slide bolts.

I will reinstall the old bumper for now and get the truck ready for several months of winter storage.

Last edited by W3BY; 10-08-2018 at 03:03 AM.
Old 10-16-2018, 03:39 PM
Slick

Bumper going back on and the truck will go into storage next week. Checked fluids to be sure it will handle the cold weather, I won't so that is why I'm leaving the area for awhile. I will continue reading and posting on the forum over the winter months and pick up parts to do the front receiver hitch, roof window and maybe even a new 3rd brake light, so that when I do return from the deep south I can install them and get this thing on the road.
Old 10-16-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by W3BY
Welcome to my build thread. This is actually going to be the place I document what is being done to my truck.

Starting with acquisition on Sept 6,2018.
The Original Owner said it was in much better shape than it is actually in. I have known this truck and the owner since 2009 and even drove it a few times back then. It was left pretty much as a weekend dump runner for the past 5 years. It has also had a moon roof leak that long which trashed the carpeting. I have posted pictures in an album of the as bought condition. I waited a week to pick it up and should have trailered it home. Both of the front calipers were sticking and the brand new rotors were heating up quickly. I drove the 18 miles below 50 MPH and stopped frequently to keep them as cool as I could. I should start brake repairs this weekend.

Things I want to do are:
Gotts MOD
Zip Ties on throttle cable
Front Receiver Hitch
Rear Bumper replacement - original one rusted
Both front door bottom rust repair
Passenger side rocker panel replacement
Spa Treatment to seats
Clean Carpet

Thanks for watching...
congrats on the build!
The following users liked this post:
W3BY (10-17-2018)
Old 10-17-2018, 02:35 PM
Slick

@alanis928 Slow and steady wins the race!

Quick Reply: SLICK's 2003 KR Build