Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Rennergade Build (and rebuild)

Old 10-18-2013, 03:31 AM
Mud Monkey

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default The Rennergade Build (and rebuild)

PIC HEAVY

Figure with all the work being done on my truck lately I may as well start a build thread. I guess I'll start from the beginning.

It was a beautiful summer day in the year of '95 and... Oh. Too far back.

So it was fall of 2012 and I decided I wanted a truck. It kind of just happened, like this:

Having had my license for almost a year at that point 17 year old John went searching on the internet.

I had been working since I was 12 years old so it was no problem! Or so I thought. I stumbled upon what I thought was a deal too good to be true. (at least in my eyes alright)? An 05' Lariat with a sexy front end and a stance that would make any 17 year old boy dance.

And there she sat, just waiting for me and $8000 to be pocketed by some stranger on the internet who I thought I could trust.

First mistake.

It was an out of province vehicle... which would require an out of province inspection to be registered. But I drove her home anyway.

This truck spent the next 2 months in the backyard of a friends house, where my friend and I spent most of our time dismantling the front end suspension and replacing with new parts. We did this, hoping that it could save some money on labour considering in order for this truck to pass inspection it was going to cost me another $5000

After pulling apart and putting together the front end, about $3000 later; it needed to be sent off to get an alignment. The truck had not been started in 2 months and it was already subzero Alberta outside, the result:

Towed to a chevy stealership (and that's a whole other feud in itself, which I will not get into), but after some cussing I got her back.

I drove her around like that for awhile, just happy to have such a beautiful vehicle.

and the 4x4 works.

Many cold nights went by

and after running (quite literally) bald as can be rear tires all winter, they had to be replaced.

Last edited by getsynyster; 10-18-2013 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:34 AM
Mud Monkey

Falken rocky mountain ATS 285/65/18

Got them for cheap, so I'm not complaining (buying tires in Canada is like highway robbery). And the winter continued...

The summer months came around (oh did I mention my truck still hadn't passed its out of province inspection yet?) Driving without registration for 10 months is really not smart. But she was too pretty to leave alone. Eventually I took her to get registered and pass the inspection, upon receiving a quote for the work to be done it seemed as if the list of problems doubled with this truck. Another $3000 gobbled down like it was nothing. But I can't stay mad at this...

Grad came around and that meant time to clean her up!

But it didn't last long (Yes, that is a parking lot)

Last edited by getsynyster; 10-18-2013 at 04:29 AM.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Mud Monkey

Just to give you an idea of the fluctuation of temperatures in alberta...

Anyway! The next little while was spent making small appearance mods that were... pretty much free.

And yes, it's still running like this...

Finally I just stopped and admired for awhile!

Until it finally happened. Two days ago I was so ready to start my life as an adult and go out into the world.I was on my way to Drayton Valley to start as a floor hand on a service rig, was so excited about this! On the way up I dropped a friend off at work in Edmonton and was hit by a lady in an Escape. A semi truck blocked my vision by not being in his proper turning lane, I tried to get a view around him, spotted the escape and braked hard! I stopped just in time, or so I thought. This lady's reaction was apparently to go towards the danger when she saw me, she immediately swerved out of her lane toward me and stepped on the gas.

The carnage:

Last edited by getsynyster; 10-18-2013 at 04:34 AM. Reason: wrong pictures
Old 10-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Mud Monkey

No one was hurt severely, though myself and passenger are in a lot of back pain currently. We are men who don't got time for pain.

The bumper behind my passenger side wheel was winched out to a normal position and I continued to drive around like that for 12 more hours before going to the hospital; tracking down parts and I'd say I do some pretty good work. I wanted to get as much done as possible before the adrenaline wore off and the pain set in. I went out and purchased a pair of spyder projectors.

Within the day I tracked down a pair of headlights, a bumper from an 08 lariat, a used grille and the next day a new upper valence was at my door. Impressive, eh? It doesn't stop there with a some help from a friend I got the teardown process done like dinner.

Later that night, I met up with a member of the Alberta f150's group
https://www.facebook.com/groups/401666989916193/
*cough* and picked up a set of single row 8" light bars

Tested them out and holy hell.

Just a ridiculous amount of light from these bars, kicks rigid right out of the water!

But now here we are, 2 days after the accident, right in the middle of the rebuild. Better, faster, stronger. We have the technology. She will live again.

Last edited by getsynyster; 10-18-2013 at 04:24 AM. Reason: wrong pictures
Old 10-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Received 2,102 Likes on 1,317 Posts

Subscribed. Next time you're down in the Calgary area first round is on me.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:44 AM

Received 156 Likes on 131 Posts

^^ If it wasn't for Alberta's low drinking age, I would think you are trying to contribute to the delinquency of a minor. haha.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:46 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by ianinedm
^^ If it wasn't for Alberta's low drinking age, I would think you are trying to contribute to the delinquency of a minor. haha.
Isn't Alberta great?
Old 10-18-2013, 07:17 PM
Mud Monkey

Yeah, the drivers aren't my favourite though ^ haha
Old 10-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Beer Gut Extraordinaire

Originally Posted by getsynyster
Yeah, the drivers aren't my favourite though ^ haha
No, they certainly are not my favourite either.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:09 PM
Mud Monkey

Got most of er done, she's street legal now.

My valence got painted. No clear coat on it yet, but I really don't have time for that.

Newish bumper and valence attached

Lounging around with her mouth wide open

Spyder lights in

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: The Rennergade Build (and rebuild)