Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Red Rocket Build - '96 F150 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

Cool Red Rocket Build - '96 F150 4x4

Well, I figured I'd represent my 9th Gen brethren and start a build thread on what's going on with my project. I've always had a truck except a few years I spent in the Mustang scene. I decided I couldn't stand not having a truck anymore, so I sold the Mustang and bought this fixer upper (paid too much, but oh well). I took my 6 year old daughter for a ride and she laughed every time I stabbed the throttle. She hugged me and said, "Daddy, this is the Red Rocket, I love it!". So the name kinda stuck. Plus all the trucks I've owned have been red (or two tone red), oddly enough.

So, the primary purpose of this truck is weekend work (gardening, landscaping, trail building) and hunting. So a functional toy I suppose. Here's the day I brought it home:

As you can see, the body is really rough but the interior is decent and it actually runs really well. I drove it it 150 miles home on the interstate, so it's pretty solid. It's a 1996 F150 (about 150k miles) XLT Extended Cab 5.8L 4x4 with a E4OD transmission.

Here's the idea list for the Red Rocket:

Phase 1: Mechanical Maintenance

Tune up transmission and 4x4 drive system

Build new battery box and install new battery and wires
Rebuild Brakes

**Future plans will include pulling engine, rebuilding, repainting, and cleaning up engine bay...going to enjoy the engine while it's running strong**

Phase 2: Body

Repair bed, tailgate, hole in cab, major dents, and sagging passenger door. Finishing de-chroming exterior and add custom emblems (possible 2015 XLT emblems). Possible Line X/Rhino Line entire truck body.

Phase 3: Suspension

Level kit or 4 inch lift with new wheels and tires

Phase 4: Bumpers, Accessories, Lights

Body Guard front bumper with possible winch, new BG rear bumper with LED floods, side step, side mounted tool box, and RIGID lights in grille and roof

Phase 5: Interior

Rebuild interior, remove carpet and add rhino liner, replace bench seat with bucket seats, add center console, install blue tooth stereo (with speaker upgrade), replace cloth bench with vinyl to match bucket seats.

This is my target suspension and tire size:

Last edited by ScaldedApe; 01-09-2015 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:48 PM

First thing was to fix the front end. A chrome headlight bezel was cracked and one headlight was full of water with other housing having major condensation. I've always liked the look of red with black accents, so I took the opportunity to start de-chroming the truck.

I replaced both headlights and corner lens but kept the bottom lenses. I caulked everything with silicon sealant to slow down any water getting in. Headlight installation was a nightmare and something I have zero desire to ever do again! haha
Old 01-09-2015, 04:54 PM

The next project was to replace the broken side mirrors. I was able to find some Lightning model repos that were powered. I'm very unhappy with the quality, but they get the job done. The mirror motor works and they're black, so I don't mind too much. If this was a Daily Driver, I would have returned them as they vibrate at highway speeds.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:19 PM

After the mirrors and front end, I started the full fluid replacement (oil, transmission, transfer, and rear end) and tune up on the engine. So the previous owner wasn't completely honest about regular maintenance. He claimed the engine maintenance was up to date but the air filter and spark plugs would disagree...

I also did a full ACCEL ignition kit with a new cap & rotor kit, ceramic coated plug wires, and a hotter ignition pack.

Last edited by ScaldedApe; 01-09-2015 at 05:43 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:44 PM

Added a CB shorty antenna as well. It actually improved my radio reception, which is a nice bonus. Plus it's thicker to withstand tree branches.

Old 01-09-2015, 06:35 PM

As I was changing the fluids underneath the truck, I noticed how rotted the original exhaust was. I replaced all the O2 sensors, the catted y-pipe (supposedly with higher flowing cats), and the entire catback with an American Thunder Series Flowmaster SI/DO Stainless Steel System. The sound is a little mellower than I'm used to (had Flowmaster 40 dual dumps on my last truck), but I like that I don't set off car alarms or wake the neighbors up anymore. I also removed the spare tire and will relocate it to the bed. I hate spares underneath the bed and would rather sacrifice the bed space.

In case you're wondering, here's some 5.8l open headers:

http://sendvid.com/8kvp17ls

Here's the new exhaust (cold and warm start with revs)

http://sendvid.com/vs3tndas (cold start)

http://sendvid.com/hxvqzhms (warm start)

The system is fairly simple to install but the fit leaves alittle to be desired. A couple of the clamps wouldn't tighten around the pipe all the way. The sound is pretty good at idle and just off idle, but it sounds like it loses steam in the upper RPM range. It's miles above stock at least!
Old 01-10-2015, 11:41 AM
Maybe to many trucks?

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

Like the way it is turning out so far.
Trav
Old 01-11-2015, 10:25 AM

Waiting for the sun to come out before crawling on the ground, so I decided to do some body stuff. I hate plastic liners so I pulled mine out, not knowing what the expect underneath. Fortunately, it was in good shape (just leaves and dirt).

I also began to process of removing the brackets left by the previous owner. The PO had installed a camper shell at some point and it absolutely ripped up the panels. Now to decide how to move forward with this much damage:

Old 01-11-2015, 10:26 AM

Here's the remaining body damage. I may or may not mess with it since it's just an off road vehicle. The passenger cab is little annoying because the door POPS every time you open it. May at least get that fixed...

Quick Reply: Red Rocket Build - '96 F150 4x4