Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Sterling Gray FX2 Build

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:40 PM

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Default My Sterling Gray FX2 Build

Just picked this truck up a couple months ago now, and I'm loving it!
It's a 2013 FX2 with the 4.2" radio (haven't figured out the 300a/301a stuff yet lol), cloth seats, flow-through console, and the ecoboost. Really looking forward to making it mine! I'll attach a single before and a single after pic of my old truck to give you an idea of my "style," which is kind of a "modified OEM" look, if that makes sense.

How I bought it:

current mods

Single 10" Pioneer b-flat shallow-mount subwoofer in custom built (by yours truly) box under the passenger side rear seat, powered by a Kicker DX250.1 amp.
I had three cordless drills and traded one of them for the amp and sub. Not a bad deal and sounds good enough for what I was wanting.

Plastidipped all emblems
I'm still working on this one, tinkering with how I want the fender and tailgate emblems to look. I'm happy with the way the Ford ovals turned out. I will include pic later as I don't really have a good one currently.

Custom Ecoboost Decal
Removed the fender emblem in favor of this red and black decal I had made at a local shop. Turned out nice I thought. You can also see the one fender emblem I plastdipped here.

Future Plans

Find someone with a Sterling Gray rear bumper and trade them the Ranch Hand
OE-Style Projector headlights (would possibly retrofit some nicer HID-spec lenses)
Katzkin leather
JVC KW-M730BT Double-Din Head Unit
I like this particular one because of its simplistic appearance. I have yet to hear how one sounds but I'm sure it's better than the stock radio.
iDatalink Maestro dash kit
again for the most "stock" appearance as far as the aftermarket goes.
Other miscellaneous mods
Nothing too bold. I like subtle yet unique touches here and there.

Edit: Previous F150

Before

After

Last edited by CoachJ; 06-29-2018 at 09:59 PM.
Old 06-27-2017, 11:25 PM
Fake Ballin for da Gram

Received 434 Likes on 366 Posts

If you have an FX2, it should probably a 301A truck, I dont believe the FX2 came in 300A trim.

The Maestro interface is awesome, not sure if the JVC units are supported with all the features but my old Kenwood was and the OBD2 gauges are very informative.
Old 06-30-2017, 04:13 PM

I finally found the window sticker hiding out folded in the owner's manual and it says it's a 401a truck. Anyway, spent a few minute today just getting rid of the orange strip on the mirrors.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:23 AM

Got the bumpers swapped and installed, but as I had suspected before, I think my truck has been rear ended at some point, as the bumper mounts were slightly bent, causing the bumper itself to be a little crooked. I'm pretty OCD about stuff like this so I will be attempting to straighten everything out today. See driver's side vs pass. side in the pics.
Attached Thumbnails My Sterling Gray FX2 Build-img_0556.jpg   My Sterling Gray FX2 Build-img_0557.jpg   My Sterling Gray FX2 Build-img_0558.jpg   My Sterling Gray FX2 Build-img_0560.jpg  
Old 07-17-2017, 03:32 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 800 Likes on 589 Posts

Great choice in truck to make yours! What are your future plans after you straighten out that bumper?

Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Stage3Motorsports
Great choice in truck to make yours! What are your future plans after you straighten out that bumper?
Whatever the wife will allow

I'd like to upgrade the headlights to the projector style, maybe do a level kit, some katzkin leather, and just keep her clean. I like simple but different so I'll probably do a few little things here and there but nothing too major.

Also, I like the look of the Rough exhaust that has the dual exit on the right side of the rear bumper. But I don't want to make the ecoboost too loud, so I might look into getting the exhaust routed like that from the factory muffler.
The following users liked this post:
Stage3Motorsports (07-18-2017)
Old 07-17-2017, 03:51 PM

Like this:

Old 07-17-2017, 03:54 PM

Received 538 Likes on 448 Posts

nice truck, have same truck with the 5.0
I like the plans and curious to see how the JVC unit looks. I was inclined to keep the stock 4.2" screen and added a component speaker set in the front doors and dual 8" woofers under the rear seat. It sounds good but definitely needs some addtional sound processing to fine tune it.
Old 07-18-2017, 12:27 PM
F150 Vendor

Received 800 Likes on 589 Posts

sounds like a great plan hopefully she allows for some great stuff! If you're looking to hear the exhaust before you buy check our YouTube, we have a series of sound clips from different exhaust!

Old 07-22-2017, 08:39 PM

Didn't do anything too special today, just cleaned her up and polished her with TopCoat F11 (first time using it...pretty impressed) and added LED lighting to the interior, cargo lights, and reverse lights. Already did the license plate lights the other day when I replaced the bumper.