Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2014, 01:12 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew

I bought this truck May 3rd, 2013 with 70k miles. It now has just over 100k, in a little over a year. (Do I drive too much? )
She was originally a fleet vehicle in Alberta, Canada. Tuxedo Black with "med stone" (lol) tan interior. SuperCrew XLT 4X4 with the 5.4L Triton V8 FFV. It has Preferred equipment package 507a. I'm not entirely sure what that is, but research has shown it's like the "Texas/Oklahoma Edition" or the chrome package.

Used and abused when I got her. Traded the first car I'd ever owned, which was a 12 Mustang V6, for this car. At times, when I'm broke, I regret it, then I turn the key and I don't. This truck is my first truck all by my big self! Got ripped off on the deal, and I've slowly made this truck better than what it was when I got it. Poor leadership while in the Army resulted in a bad deal. I'm glad, though, because me and this truck have been through hell.

Don't get your hopes up, it's gonna be very slow, mainly because I can't afford the finer things in life just yet.

Future Plans:
Exterior:
  • Tint the windows. Probably going with 20-30%. I want to match the back three but I don't know what the percent is, or if it's regularly overlooked here.
  • Add heated (maybe) tow mirrors with turn signals
  • Paint to match door handles, tailgate handle, and mirror caps
  • Install wheel well liners
  • Change out head, tail, and 3rd brake lights for projector and LED - Looking at Spyder or Anzo (opinions and advice preferred and needed.)
  • Different toolbox, preferably low profile, or one that doesn't come above the edge of the bed.
  • Custom exhaust - now this is gonna be tricky. I want to make a custom X-pipe that will bolt up to an aftermarket header (shorty, because I can't find LT's for the 5.4) to replace the Y and the cats, and send the piping after that down the outside of the frame rails to exit just before my rear tires.
  • Different grille. Maybe the FX or STX grille that's PTM.
  • Lift - 2-3"
  • Tires - Probably Nitto Terra or Trail grapplers in 305-315, depending on how big the 3 inch lift will accommodate.
  • Wheels - Not too sure about them. too many designs. Gotta be black, though.
  • ADD front and rear bumpers. Front is probably going to be the Stealth, rear is either Stealth 'R' or Stealth Fighter.
  • Step bars
  • Roof mounted 50 inch light bar.
  • I have other ideas, like a rear facing light bar of sorts, and/or side facing ones, but I don't know how I'd go about doing that. Mount the rear ones to the bumper? I'll figure it out when the time comes.
  • Touch up all the paint. Gonna be one of the first things I do, honestly.
  • Get those LED side emblems in white.
  • I seen a thread on here a while back, this guy bought a lighted tailgate emblem. Or maybe it was a hitch one that he rigged into the tailgate. Either way, when he his his brakes, the logo on his tailgate lit up. I want that.
  • Get the XTR decals.
  • New brakes all around.
  • A whole lot more, that I'll add in other posts, my eyes are tired though.
Interior:
  • Want to add SYNC, but have no idea where or how to do it.
  • Updated sound system. Maybe replace the whole radio, but I want something that will sort of retain the factory OEM look.
  • New floor mats, as mine are getting worn.
  • New LED's in the domes and maps, because I don't think the guy actually gave me LED bulbs when I bought the ones currently in there.
  • STX Jump seat (maybe)
  • Paint or find new parts to change the color of my interior panels.
  • Seat covers are coming. I hate the ugly tan color. (What's odd is my window sticker said "med stone", but I don't ever recall medium stone being tan. )
Already done/in progress
  • Added a foglight to my bumper. (pics in next post.)
  • Added an LED tailgate lightbar. (pics in next post.)
  • Plastidipped my bumpers black. It looks good and holds up great, truth be told.
  • Plastidipped my sunglasses holder/front maplight lense surround.
  • Plastidipped the rear domelight cover.
  • Painted my grille. I did a horrible job, though, and it's in need of a redo. Might see what tomorrow holds, if I can get a sander.
  • plastidipped part of my dash (pictures will be below.) and the chrome rings around the vents.
  • Put 285/70R17 Duratracs on my stock wheels.
  • Plastidipped my stock wheels matte black. I did a bad job at that, too. It was cold, and I was just experimenting.
  • Tinted my tails and 3rd with plastidip.

Here she is!
A week after I first got her.
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck1.jpg
A few weeks later...
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck6.jpg
I got stuck. Misjudged the mud, sank into a rut...
But I didn't learn my lesson.
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck5.jpg
After I tinted my tails. (Hadn't done the 3rd for this one.)
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck-lights-off.jpg
(or this one...)
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck-lights-.jpg
Plastidip actually is see through.
(Think I did in this one, though.)
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck-lights-dark.jpg

Last edited by Sir_Ambrose; 12-09-2014 at 01:21 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 01:18 AM

Interior shots:
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-interior-2.jpgMy slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-interior-3.jpg

This was my attempt at changing my interior up. It looked pretty good in person. Lasted a whole day.
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-interior-1.jpg

I was flexin' on a curb. haha
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck4.jpg
Other shots.
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck-angle.jpg
I want my headlight bulbs to match my foglight and maybe the switchback turn signals. Happened to chance upon LED bulbs, but.. I don't know what color they'll be. Help?
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck2.jpg

Last edited by Sir_Ambrose; 12-09-2014 at 01:23 AM.
Old 12-09-2014, 09:51 AM

Received 473 Likes on 426 Posts

Everything else looks good but those plastidipped tails IMHO look horrible.
Old 12-09-2014, 02:06 PM

I was just experimenting and wanted to use dip because it's peelable. Didn't want anything permanent just yet.
Old 12-10-2014, 03:45 AM
crush a little car today

I've been doing my 02 since I took possession of it at the dealer. It takes time but money is the hardest to get. lol With what I have in it so far I could get a brand new one but wouldn't have had the fun I've had.
Old 12-10-2014, 04:42 AM

Most recent pictures. Dirty as all hell, though.
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck10.jpg
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck11.jpg
Old 12-13-2014, 10:07 PM

My thread actually went to the second page! Nooooo
Old 12-24-2014, 12:41 PM

Received 1,180 Likes on 1,070 Posts

nice truck
The following users liked this post:
Sir_Ambrose (12-26-2014)
Old 12-26-2014, 01:34 AM

Over this weekend, probably tomorrow, I'll be building a storage box for under my rear seats.

I really need the stars to align for me... I really need to do something with my interior. I found seats on eBay, black bench. Which is perfect, and exactly what I want, but selling mine.....doubt it'd happen. Maybe if I cleaned them. If anyone wants tan and has black, message me! Has to be from 09 or 10. 11+ has that god awful headrest on the front bench, but the good headrests on the seats lol. Then take the headliner out, have it covered in a soft black cloth, rip the carpet up, and probably just rhynoline it. Well, that's all she wrote for now. See y'all when I finish that box!
Old 01-08-2015, 10:44 PM

Okay, so here's a tad bit of an update, since I failed to do so as things were current.
I decided to dip the tailgate a little. It came out better than I expected it to, honestly. I love the blacked out logo, too. I want a blacked out Ford logo, but one where I could still see the the lettering, and i don't have the patience or skill required to scratch out the letters with a toothpick, so I just taped around it.
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-truck-tailgate.jpg

Then, day before, and day after Christmas, I built this. I don't have a picture of it in the truck yet, but I'll snap one tomorrow.
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-under-seat-box-1.jpgMy slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-under-seat-box-2.jpg
My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-under-seat-box-3.jpgMy slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew-under-seat-box-4.jpg
Those aren't of the finished product, but like I said, I'll get some better ones tomorrow, after I clean the inside out a bit. haha

On a side note, I've decided to change my look a bit. I'd edit the first post, but it won't let me now? I'm note sure why, though, so I'll update here.
In the first, I said I was going to do a 3 inch lift. I've decided to do a 6 inch instead. I'm also going to do Moto Metal wheels, I forgot the number for them, but they're gonna be 20x12. The bumpers, I'm not so sure of. I think I want to just use my stock bumper, and PTM it, and cut holes for some aftermarket fogs. I really like the squared off look, and haven't really seen a bumper that matches my style idea.

Last edited by Sir_Ambrose; 01-08-2015 at 10:52 PM.

Quick Reply: My slow build up of a 2010 Tux Black XLT SuperCrew