Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Build (w/?s) - 2018/F-150/Magnetic/Lariat

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2019, 02:56 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default My Build (w/?s) - 2018/F-150/Magnetic/Lariat

Hello All,

After several months, I’m ready to start my build. In full transparency, I have no mechanical or build experience and am humbly seeking any input on my planned mods.

I am starting with an (almost) completely stock 2018, F-150, Lariat. It’s got the 145” wheel base, 5.0L V8, 3.55 gears, and FX4 package. To date, I have tinted the front windows, swapped out the front mats for Husky Liners, and put on a stubby antenna.

My goal is to have a solid daily driver (54 miles total commute per day) that can serve double duty as a family of 5 hauler on long trips and also be capable of moderate off-road use during hunting/camping adventures.

Planned Mods (feedback is appreciated!):

- Level: Either Bilstein 5100s or 6112s.
- Are the 6112’s worth the extra ~$325 to fill the “moderate” off road use? I’ll travel back trails, fire breaks, some mud/snow, rolling terrain. Nothing too severe and not speed racing through anything, but I do want a truck that can handle most outdoor adventures.
- Should I plan for new UCAs or will the stock ones suffice? Should I expect the stock UCAs to hit anything if I keep them?

- Wheels/Tires: (FWIW, I’m looking to fill the wheel-well as much as possible w/o cutting/trimming anything)
- Method NVs, either 18x9 (preferred) or 17x9 - thinking +18 offset on either
- Tires: either Nitto Ridge Grapplers or BG Goodrich KO2. My main question. Does anyone know if the 285/70/R18 will fit with a standard 2” level? One member posted he had very minor rubbing with 285/70/R17s, while another build I saw said no rubbing/trimming with 285/70/R18s. Any insight here...I’m confused.

- A.R.E Truck Cap or Retrax MX Pro Cover: Still deciding which is best. I like the idea of more space provided by the A.R.E Truck Cap, but am also torn on keeping the flexibility of a standard bed w/retractable cover.

- LED Headlights: I’ve got the standard halogen bulbs which are really the only thing I dislike about my truck. Looking to upgrade to LEDs, but I still need to read more on this process....harnesses, programming, install - all seems confusing so still sorting out how to proceed.

Thanks for any thoughts. I know everything is subjective, but I really appreciate any end-user experience.

Here she stands as I finalize my planning.

Quick Reply: My Build (w/?s) - 2018/F-150/Magnetic/Lariat