Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My 99 SCab Build

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 01:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My 99 SCab Build

Hey guys this will be a slow and ongoing build. This is my daily driver so most mods are simple ones that wont put the truck down for any longer then needed.

I picked up my 99 f150 on Feb 7th about 8 hours after my rich uncle Sam gave us our yearly monies. I went out on a scouting mission not intending to buy as my wife was busy work work stuff. I was being very picky about what I would buy. Had to be 99-03, a 4dr extended cab, the 5.4 V8 , 4x4, auto trans, good tires and battery, good body and drive line and less then 3 owners. Last requirement came from a quote of Henry Ford "You can have it in any color you want. So long as it is black."

First place I went too had 2 trucks I liked. One was out of the question as I will NEVER run the Walmart Liberator tires again(worst mud and snow tire EVER) 2nd one looked good but the sales man wouldn't brave the cold to talk to me. So I moved onto the place I really wanted to buy from as they offered a 2 year warranty on all used cars. Sadly they didn't have what I was looking for and they low balled me on trade in value for my old truck.

Was heading home and noticed that a dealer had a 98 scab, while looking at that he said that they had a black 99 scab at their other lot so we headed there and found what was going to be my new truck:

1999 F150 with the 5.4, it came with a new battery, new tires(still has the nubbies on them. other add ons where a bug deflector and a truxedo roll up bed cover. The red s10 you see was my old 1991 S10 Baja Edition.

Theres a couple of small dings and what not but other wise the body is in AWESOME shape as is the driveline

Inside is in awesome shape as well. As you can see both my kids fit in the back. You can see a couple of the first mods as well. Heavy duty seat covers and all weather floor mats

I cought crap about the Harley floor mats on a different forum, I have a 78 Sportster that I'm working on rebuilding so I claim the right to rock HD logos :p

Next mods were installing my Alpine iDA-X305s and my cell phone mount. The radio trim needs to be replaced as the screw mounts for the airbag switch are hot glue now, when I get the replacement Ill notch it around the phone mount so it sits flat.
Old 02-19-2014, 01:39 PM

For our 2nd Valentines day I had the windows tinted in my wife's old car. In return she had the front windows tinted to match the back:

That's about it for now. Plans for it are getting my sub box trimmed to fit between the console and back seat and finish wiring my amp(aiting on cable to show up from amazon.

Other wise its my daily driver and so far has been a friggn blast to drive. Thanks for looking guys and gals!
Old 02-19-2014, 03:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Nice truck. Now take that decal off the drivers fender. That's the same car seat I have for my daughter.

Last edited by corey5988; 02-19-2014 at 03:31 PM.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by corey5988
Nice truck. Now take that decal off the drivers fender. That's the same car seat I have for my daughter.
That's on my warm weather list.

Thanks to Tackle I was able to remove the CD changer from the center console for some extra space:

During a trip to my local Pick A Part yard I came across the A piller trim and grab handle for the drivers side:

Also shown is a picture that I had to hop a 12ft fence to fetch out of my old truck. Its myself, my wife and my 2 kiddos.

Need to figure out a way to better secure the grab handle too. As is its only real use is a place to rest your hand while driving.

Fixed my air bag off light as well. Easy fix, just swapped the board out with a known working one. No more air bag light on for me!

Now for my questions:

1. Is the dash light for the Brakes supposed to come on when the parking brake is on? Mine lights up when I start it but when the parking brake is on, nadda.

2. I have cruse control but no dash light for it?

3. The panel head vent to the right of the steering wheel is loose, it wont stay in one spot it always tips down. How do I fix that?

Thanks guys!
Old 02-20-2014, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by renswic
During a trip to my local Pick A Part yard I came across the A piller trim and grab handle for the drivers side:

Need to figure out a way to better secure the grab handle too. As is its only real use is a place to rest your hand while driving.
What did you use for that? I don't recall seeing a drivers side bar in a vehicle. I'm assuming just flipped a passenger side bracket?

1. Is the dash light for the Brakes supposed to come on when the parking brake is on? Mine lights up when I start it but when the parking brake is on, nadda.
It should be one with the brake.
Old 02-21-2014, 06:27 PM

What did you use for that? I don't recall seeing a drivers side bar in a vehicle. I'm assuming just flipped a passenger side bracket?

It should be one with the brake.
The handle and a piller trim came out of an Expedition. Color is a little lighter, but close enough for me. There was no bracket with it. It was mounted in the Expedition with a couple of treaded inserts.

K. I'll have to look into that one.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:06 PM

Now for my questions:

3. The panel head vent to the right of the steering wheel is loose, it wont stay in one spot it always tips down. How do I fix that?

Thanks guys!
Figured out how to do a more secure mount on the grab handle. Found a rivet gun that does threaded insert. Will buy that next payday(used my extra funds on putting a new pistol on layaway)

#3 has been fixed for now, just used the cover from a match book for now.
Old 03-01-2014, 03:15 PM

Have a look here. No special tool needed.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=qwpas7
Old 03-02-2014, 06:31 PM

Have a look here. No special tool needed.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-rivet-nuts/=qwpas7
I found a 3 in 1 rivet gun at harbor fright that does the rivet nuts. As I've been wanting to get a rivet gun this will work out for me
Old 03-03-2014, 10:28 PM

Got my base set decals on. Counter clockwise from the top left. My Jedi decal, temp Yellowstone National Park decal (been camping there lots of times, also spent my 21st birthday and honeymoon there) temp decal for the place that tinted my windows, will be replaced with State Wars family decals when I find some I like. Last one is my Bill F***ing Murry KCCO decal. Last 2 that eill go in the middle top and bottom will be a Walther Arms decal(bottom) and a 'Montana Is For Badasses' one (top). Once I can paint the chrome away on the rear bumper ill add my 'Get Lost In Montana'(left side) and one that pisses off most my in laws 'Montana Is Full, I Hear North Dakota Is Nice'(most her extended family is from and in ND) one.

I know decals are thought of as lame by some but all of mine have special meaning to me.

I told my wife that I was thinking of getting a set of ***** for. Well when she and my 4 year old went in to prepay for the tint they noticed that the shop sold them. She let my son pick the color and he flat out refused to even thing about anything but pink.

Also show en us the only rust I have found. That will be taken care of when it's warm.

Quick Reply: My 99 SCab Build