Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnetic XLT Build Out Thread - Advice Accepted

Old 08-10-2016, 11:13 PM

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Magnetic XLT Build Out Thread - Advice Accepted

Hey guys,

We bought our truck just over about 2 weeks ago. We originally thought we were going to be purchasing a Caribou XLT 300a and having a 6" RC lift installed by the dealer. Instead we got a better deal across town on this Magnetic XLT 301a with the Chrome Pkg. We love the color and how classy the chrome makes the truck.

Today we had the pro comp leveling kit installed at a local shop. For now it has the stock chrome 18's, but we are swapping them to the chrome 20s on Friday (Platinum wheels).

Our dilemma lies in that both my wife and I began second-guessing the decision to go with a Leveling Kit instead of something larger almost immediately. Will using the Platinum 20s and a larger tire (275/60/20) help give a more solid stance? Or will we continue to be disappointed? Would the Boss Coilovers be a better option? We don't want to waste $ on something that will leave us wanting more... But we also don't want to obliterate our mpg either (hence the decision to not jump to a 6" lift & 35s).

Any input/advice would be appreciated... Thx.

Stock at the dealership:

Today, with the Leveling Kit:

Old 08-11-2016, 01:36 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd go with a 4" lift...I went the level route and loved the look over stock but still wanted more lift. Now I'm going to put a 4" lift on with 275 or 285/65/20s, still undecided on the tires at the moment.
Old 08-12-2016, 01:38 PM

I found some 20" Platinum takeoffs on Craigslist yesterday so we went ahead and put them on the truck. Def liking it better than the 18s.

Leveled with Platinum 20"s<br/>

Leveled with Platinum 20"s
Old 08-12-2016, 02:43 PM
Ambassador of Aloha

Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts

If you're willing to spend the money, and don't want to go "too big" that you'd have to fill up the wheel wells with 35"s, I like the idea of a 4" lift and either 33" or 34"s. This will be a "proper lift" versus using coil overs + leveling spacer to achieve the 4". You'd need to replace the stock rear block with a 2.75-3" block.

Or, using the Boss Ultimate kit with larger 34" tires will net you a nice 3-4" lift depending on how much you crank up the coils. The higher you crank up the coils, however, the rougher the ride (generally).

So, if you set the Boss coils to around 2.5" (max is 3"), and add 34.4" tires (285/65/20), you'll gain about 3.5" of lift up front. Replace the rear with a 2.5" rear block and you're sitting at almost level; maybe a 1-1.5" rake. There will be no rubbing issues with your tires (I can confirm because I've done this.)
The following users liked this post:
BMartisek (08-12-2016)
Old 08-18-2016, 07:00 PM

Had Line-X sprayed today. Chose to go with the "Premium". So far, very happy with the results.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnetic XLT Build Out Thread - Advice Accepted