Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference between Offset and Backspace

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2011, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Difference between Offset and Backspace

Can one of you guys explain to me the difference between BACKSPACING and OFFSET of wheels??
Old 10-23-2011, 02:14 PM
I Like Tires

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by Boost Brother
Can one of you guys explain to me the difference between BACKSPACING and OFFSET of wheels??
Offset is the distance the mourning face of the wheel is away from the centerline of the rim. So an offset of 0mm means the mounting face is the centerline of the rim. A -12mm offset means that the mounting face is closer to the engine side of the vehicle relative to the centerline by 12mm.

Backspacing is the distance of the mounting face to the back outmost side of the wheel. So if you have an offset of 0mm on a 9" wide rim your backspacing is 4.5" because you mounting face is in the centerline.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by BassAckwards

Offset is the distance the mourning face of the wheel is away from the centerline of the rim. So an offset of 0mm means the mounting face is the centerline of the rim. A -12mm offset means that the mounting face is closer to the engine side of the vehicle relative to the centerline by 12mm.

Backspacing is the distance of the mounting face to the back outmost side of the wheel. So if you have an offset of 0mm on a 9" wide rim your backspacing is 4.5" because you mounting face is in the centerline.
Thanks for the breakdown, I really appreciate it. Is there really that much difference between a -12mm and +12 offset? Sorry to ask dumb questions but I'm trying to order rims offline but want to make sure I get the right set up. I like the deep dish look but not sure what I can clear on my truck with a 1.5" leveling kit. Running 305/50/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ on 20x9 Incubus Krawler, how much offset can I get away with just a 1.5" leveling kit? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:43 PM
I Like Tires

Thanks for the breakdown, I really appreciate it. Is there really that much difference between a -12mm and +12 offset? Sorry to ask dumb questions but I'm trying to order rims offline but want to make sure I get the right set up. I like the deep dish look but not sure what I can clear on my truck with a 1.5" leveling kit. Running 305/50/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ on 20x9 Incubus Krawler, how much offset can I get away with just a 1.5" leveling kit? Thanks for the help.
Well 12mm is about 1/2 an inch so there is 1" difference between -12 and +12.

The tires you are asking about are 31.9 inches tall so a 1.5" leveling kit I bet could squeeze those with 0 offset maybe -12 but if you try to keep your offset positive you will be more likely to fit.
Old 10-23-2011, 02:56 PM

Well 12mm is about 1/2 an inch so there is 1" difference between -12 and +12.

The tires you are asking about are 31.9 inches tall so a 1.5" leveling kit I bet could squeeze those with 0 offset maybe -12 but if you try to keep your offset positive you will be more likely to fit.
Yeah, I know it probably better to go with the +12 and be safe but I just don't see that I would be gaining much over just keeping my stocks. I like for it to have some kind of lip and stick out just a little. I wish you could get these in at least a 0mm but I was told my only option is -12 or +12. Im so tempted to go with the -12mm but i dont want it to be too much where i have clearence issues or make it look funny to where its too wide for the height of my truck. I'm so torn.....
Old 10-23-2011, 03:05 PM
I Like Tires

Yeah, I know it probably better to go with the +12 and be safe but I just don't see that I would be gaining much over just keeping my stocks. I like for it to have some kind of lip and stick out just a little. I wish you could get these in at least a 0mm but I was told my only option is -12 or +12. Im so tempted to go with the -12mm but i dont want it to be too much where i have clearence issues or make it look funny to where its too wide for the height of my truck. I'm so torn.....
Just go with the -12. If worse comes to worse get a 2" spacer. You will clear the height. It's the width of the tire that may get you.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:10 PM

Just go with the -12. If worse comes to worse get a 2" spacer. You will clear the height. It's the width of the tire that may get you.
I like how you think... But really, if you were me, being very particular about things, what would you choose in my situation?
Old 10-23-2011, 03:16 PM
I Like Tires

I like how you think... But really, if you were me, being very particular about things, what would you choose in my situation?
Haha I'm very particular about things , I like the lip like you so I would go with the 2" spacer instead of the 1.5" and go with the -12mm becuz the .5" extra lift isn't gonna be any harder on anything so it's worth it IMO to get the wheel you will e happier with. Plus poking that wheel out more will make your wider tire not rub your UCA.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:27 PM

Haha I'm very particular about things , I like the lip like you so I would go with the 2" spacer instead of the 1.5" and go with the -12mm becuz the .5" extra lift isn't gonna be any harder on anything so it's worth it IMO to get the wheel you will e happier with. Plus poking that wheel out more will make your wider tire not rub your UCA.
Awesome... That's what I will do. Thanks for all your help man, I really appreciate it.
Old 10-23-2011, 03:38 PM
I Like Tires

Awesome... That's what I will do. Thanks for all your help man, I really appreciate it.
No problem! Here is a pic of my truck to give you an idea of what it looks like I got a 3" lift with 33" tires so its all just an 1" taller than you so it should look about the same. They are 275/70/18 so not quite as wide as your tires but the wheels are 18x9 with -12mm offset.
Attached Thumbnails Difference between Offset and Backspace-image-2110584352.jpg   Difference between Offset and Backspace-image-2343880259.jpg   Difference between Offset and Backspace-image-2883353735.jpg   Difference between Offset and Backspace-image-1829572967.jpg  

Quick Reply: Difference between Offset and Backspace