Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bambbrose 2018 XL Crew Daily Driven 2.7 Payload Fx4 Upgrade Thread, OEM+

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 10:11 AM
---

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Bambbrose 2018 XL Crew Daily Driven 2.7 Payload Fx4 Upgrade Thread, OEM+

I custom ordered this truck in March and she just arrived.

The truck will be my daily driver, family hauler, occasional camper, and occasional tow rig. I live in the inter-mountain west at ~5000 ft elevation. I commute a hefty 70 miles round-trip daily on a traffic free highway at 80 MPH, so the miles will rack up quickly here! I expect around 20 to 25k per year. I will log the MPG thoroughly in this thread.
The reason I ordered the truck is that I wanted a rig that would be capable, inexpensive, and also efficient. Would I have preferred the 5.0? Maybe (certainly for the exhaust note), but due to my lengthy commute I wanted the most efficient rig possible.

I live in a rural area on a "hobby farm" so the truck will see some farm duties, but nothing too crazy.

I considered a Toyota Tacoma, but after seeing the actual pricing on the F-150 was much lower, I realized it was a much better value proposition (less expensive, better MPG, more space, aluminum construction, better towing, ...)

I am mechanically inclined and have built many cars over the years. I am an OEM kind of guy and do not believe many aftermarket products are engineered to the same standard as the originals, so the theme through this build will be inline with taking what I purchased, and slowly making it better using mostly parts from the Ford bin.

My truck was ordered with the following configuration:
  • Oxford White Crew w/ 5.5' bed
  • 2.7 EB w/ 10 Speed
  • 101A Package (power items, cruise, etc.)
  • Fx4 4x4
  • 2.7 Payload Package (6900# GVWR), 3.73 locking rear diff
  • 36 gallon fuel tank
  • XL Chrome Appearance Package
  • Trailer brake controller
  • Convenience outlet
  • Running boards
  • Privacy glass w/ defroster

My price for this truck was $34,500. MSRP was $45,930.

Plans:
  • Lariat 2015-2017 18" wheels (complete)
  • BFG K02 275/70R18 (complete)
  • Lariat 8" connectivity gauge cluster (complete)
  • Husky Liners (complete)
  • OEM Leather Steering Wheel Upgrade (complete)
  • Bilstein 5100 front and rear (pending install)
  • LINEX bedliner
  • Some kind of seat covers (recommendations?)
  • Wheel well liners
  • OEM fender flares (unpainted, black?)
  • OEM chrome door handles from Limited
  • OEM bed mounting brackets
  • OEM bed LED lighting kit
  • Undecided mudflaps
  • OEM SE Halogen headlights
  • ForScan updates

I'm about as **** with my rigs as anybody, so I told the dealership not to touch the truck and leave all the factory paperwork, protectors, etc in place.

Here is how she looked upon arrival with all of the factory protection, paperwork, etc.

Last edited by bambbrose; 05-25-2018 at 12:22 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Jbbr1971 (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 10:12 AM
---

Same day as I picked it up I put in the Husky Liners (over vinyl). This includes both front, center hump, and rear full liners. Fitment was good except the center hump is a bit awkward. It may need to be tucked under the plastic.

Also same day as I picked it up, I headed over to Costco where my BFGs were waiting. I had ordered them ahead of time in anticipation of this day. I also had picked up a MINT set of 2015-2017 Lariat 18" wheels, my favorite of all of the OEM wheel choices to date. The 2018 Lariat went a little bit darker gray, and I don't like spokes with any black paint behind the machining so the Raptor and Sport wheels were not on my list.

Here are the install pics for the K02. These are 275/70R18 (33.2"). She had 22 miles on the odo at this time.

Last edited by bambbrose; 05-22-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 10:13 AM
---

Drove her home that night and really enjoyed the drive. No noises, issues, or concerns.

Finally back at the "farm" for the first night.

Last edited by bambbrose; 05-22-2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:51 PM
---

Day 2, already hit 100.5 miles (which is where I had user Livinitup (see here) program my Lariat cluster at (apparently only 0.5 mile increments are allowed). Huge improvement, can't say enough positive things about this mod and about the seller. It is such an easy swap.
I was actually content with the 4.2" screen, but I really wanted a boost gauge for the EB motor. I didn't want to go aftermarket so this was the obvious solution.
Great guy!

Before and after

Also, for those curious, here is the payload sticker for a 2.7 payload package XL crew with 101A package. I do not have many options here so this has to be within a hundred pounds of the true maximum. Per the 2018 brochure, the maximum possible is 1,950, so I'm not too far off.

UncleG (05-23-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:00 PM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Good Job! You really jumped into it. Beautiful scenery too.

Mike

Last edited by OCMike; 05-22-2018 at 01:03 PM.
bambbrose (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:02 PM

Received 142 Likes on 91 Posts

Congrats on the new ride, it is coming along nicely and also like those rims.

Did you have oversized tires installed at Costco? Only reason I ask is that I went in to Costco a few years ago looking for tires and they would not install anything larger than what was on the door sticker.

I am interested to hear your reports back on the 2.7 mileage and power with your commute and speed that you travel. I will be in the market for a new truck in about a year or so and the main thing I waffle on is the engine.

Happy drivin'!
bambbrose (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:03 PM
---

Originally Posted by OCMike
Good Job,
You really jumped into it. Beautiful scenery too.

Mike
I don't think anyone jumped into their trucks as quick as you did Mike, I'm sure you can relate!
I forgot to add those SE headlights to my wish list, they look great on your rig.
OCMike (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 01:07 PM
---

Originally Posted by kennyday
Congrats on the new ride, it is coming along nicely and also like those rims.

Did you have oversized tires installed at Costco? Only reason I ask is that I went in to Costco a few years ago looking for tires and they would not install anything larger than what was on the door sticker.

I am interested to hear your reports back on the 2.7 mileage and power with your commute and speed that you travel. I will be in the market for a new truck in about a year or so and the main thing I waffle on is the engine.

Happy drivin'!
Thanks!

Costco didn't say a thing about the size, and yes it is oversized slightly (31.6" original, 33.2" now). There will be some MPG hit due to the heavier wheels and tires but I was willing to live with it. Our trails are rocky and beat up tires really quick so the BFGs are almost a necessity around here.
I'll keep an accurate log of fuel economy as that is a primary objective of mine.

When I install my Bilsteins I will only be going with a 1.25" lift as I want to maintain some rake and also do my best to maintain some of the MPG.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:10 PM

Received 213 Likes on 160 Posts

Very nice start! Looked good when you picked it up, looks even better on the farm. Can't wait to see the rest of the progress.
bambbrose (05-22-2018)
Old 05-22-2018, 04:06 PM
TOTM November 2019

Received 11,600 Likes on 6,204 Posts

Very nice truck! Love these more "simple" builds if you will.
bambbrose (05-22-2018)

Quick Reply: Bambbrose 2018 XL Crew Daily Driven 2.7 Payload Fx4 Upgrade Thread, OEM+