Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AR-Trvlr's Folly (1994 SWB 4x4)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AR-Trvlr's Folly (1994 SWB 4x4)

Since I sold my Ranger a couple of years back, there's been a hole in my life. I started to miss having a truck. I knew I wanted something older so I could show my boys (ages 6 & 7) how to turn a wrench. And in the Atlanta metro area if it's 25 years old it no longer needs to pass emissions. I wanted 4x4 to have a bit of fun. Manual transmission since I enjoy driving them, but don't have one. Short bed since I wouldn't be doing any real work. And standard cab since my wife would never ride in it anyway. I also like the square body style, so started to look for something in the 1980-1996 range. Unfortunately a short-bed, standard cab 4x4 with a manual transmission is a bit of a unicorn in the Atlanta area.

What I found was this - a 1994 4x4 with an automatic transmission. Fairly straight body, and decent interior. Newish 33" tires and a body lift. And not one but *two* 5.0 motors. Unfortunately neither were actually in the truck. The previous owner had thrown a rod through the engine pan, bought a crate motor and a bunch of parts from advanced auto, started on pulling the old one out, and the project stalled. For three years.

The good news is that I picked it up cheap. Like for less than the price of the motor cheap.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:29 PM

When I mentioned a bunch of new parts, I meant it. Here's what came with it:
  • Starter (Motocraft NSA 3268-N / G2MZ-11002-Y)
  • Water Pump (Duralast GWP-657)
  • Alternator (Valucraft 3509-18-10)
  • Intake Manifold Bolt Set
  • Fuel Injector Seal Kit
  • Oil Pump Intake Tube/Screen
  • Harmonic Balancer
  • Engine Gasket Kit (Assemble Kit)
  • Distributor (WPS DST2890/BL17K2)
  • FelPro Oil Pan Gasket Set
  • Oil Pan
  • Spark Plugs (Motocraft SP=502 ASF42P (x16))
  • Duralast Ignition Wires
  • Throttle Body (F4TE-BC)
  • Thermostat Housing (Dorman 902-1001)
Also not one but two engine stands.
Old 11-13-2018, 05:32 PM

But I'm missing a bunch of things as well. The bolts were all tossed in a couple of piles, so I have no idea what I have or what I'm missing. I only found three fuel injectors, and no rail so far.

And that's as far as I've gotten.

No real hurry, though. I figure I'll take (at least) a couple of months to pull things together.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:08 AM
TOTM Sept. '18

Received 3,057 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Cool old truck...You must be in the south...I see little or no rust.

Please post a few pictures in the regular cab thread if you get a chance.

https://www.f150forum.com/f118/offic...thread-324398/

Thanks!
Mike
Old 11-14-2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by OCMike
Cool old truck...You must be in the south...I see little or no rust
Yes, I’m in GA. Some rusty trucks, but often because of mud that was left caked on. No salt down here...

Last edited by AR-Trvlr; 05-31-2020 at 07:25 AM.
Old 05-31-2020, 07:24 AM

It’s been a *very* slow project as life gets in the way, figuring out what goes where, borrowing a lift, and organizing a few friends to help, but I finally got the motor dropped in and bolted up to the transmission.

Old 05-31-2020, 08:34 AM
Abigail & Hannah’s dad

Received 1,246 Likes on 721 Posts

Awesome project! I’m a huge fan of that body style but the short beds and flare sides are my favorite (my 95 is a long bed).
Old 05-31-2020, 12:31 PM

I’d love a flare side too, but didn’t find one when I was looking. Perhaps I’ll swap a new bed over once I get it up and running and need a project.
Old 05-31-2020, 05:04 PM

Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts

Look at all that room in that engine bay! We didn’t know how good we had it with all that room to work!
Old 10-18-2020, 03:04 PM

How's the truck coming? Two steps forward and one step back. And it's teaching me oh so much. This photo is a good example of the process. If you look very closely you'll see a broken bolt inside of the power steering spindle. The power steering pulley is a press fit over the spindle on the power steering pump. I broke the bolt as I was trying to press the pulley onto the spindle. I broke the bolt because if was taking a huge amount of force, so I resorted to more powerful tools. What I should have done was stop and reset. I think a better approach will be to polish the inside of the pulley a bit, use a little grease, and heat the metal part of the pulley so that it will expand slightly. Now I get to uninstall the pump, hopefully extract the broken bolt, pull the pulley back off, then do all of that. If I can't extract the broken bolt I'll wind up spending another $70 or so on a new PS pump.

This photo is also a great example of how I'm approaching this process. I have no idea if the power steering pump in the truck was bad or not, but it was caked with a mix of oil, power steering fluid, and dirt, so I could presume that it wasn't in great shape. And since I'll never have an easier time to replace it then now, I bought a new pump. And since I was in there anyway I bought new PS lines.

The might-as-wells will kill me, and there is a chance that I'll wind up selling the whole damn thing as a non-running pile of newish parts at a huge loss just to be done with it.

So how's the truck coming? It's teaching me lessons in patience and the value of slowing down and doing it right. And I might just be passing some part of those lessons on to my boys.

Quick Reply: AR-Trvlr's Folly (1994 SWB 4x4)