Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 XL Super Cab the white whale

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 08:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2009 XL Super Cab the white whale

Hi everyone!

I just bought a white 09 super cab that used to be a police truck. I've been doing little things here and there to make it into a daily driver. My other car is a 2017 mustang GT, which I want to turn into more of a garage queen.

Here is a photo of the truck:

Here are the apprentices completing an oil change on the vehicle:

I've also dumped and filled the coolant. Here is the mess that caused:

Today, I plugged in FORscan and did a few changes... first, I turned off the headlight running lights. That must have been a police thing, but the headlights were on all the time, which was annoying. Second, I turned off the TPMS system. I think the wheels were replaced, and these wheels don't have sensors, so I just disabled the whole system. I had a heck of a time finding where to make the change in FORscan, so if anyone else is wondering, it is at 726-02-01 and you just type all zeros in the first 8 digits (0000 0000 XXXX). I was a little wary about doing this, as there was actual stuff in these spots (not just changing a 1 to a zero like most of the rest of the settings), but it worked great. TPMS fault is gone.

Cat-back exhaust should be arriving this week, which will be nice, because the truck didn't have anything on when I bought it, so it's pretty loud.

Other mods I have in mind are leveling kit, intake and tune. I also want to work on the interior to make it a little nicer than so utilitarian.

These forums have been a great resource so far, and I'm looking forward to learning a lot more!
Old 03-31-2019, 08:09 PM

oh yeah, the tires are 35s (not exactly, but by my calculations they are close) and it has a raptor replica front bumper. pretty cool!
Old 04-01-2019, 08:13 AM

Received 359 Likes on 197 Posts

cool! And congratulations on the new daily driver. Looking forward to your mod updates!

Great helpers. you have. They can slide under the truck a whole lot easier than many of us at this point!

Hope you get many many miles of "s"miles out of your new beast!
Old 04-01-2019, 09:50 AM

Thanks! I'm having a lot of fun so far. I love projects.
Old 04-01-2019, 12:39 PM

Well, since the only key I got when I purchased the truck looks like this:

And because the dealer wants wants hundreds of dollars for keys, I decided to see if I could do it myself. I found 2 transponder keys for $20, got them cut at Lowe’s for free, and then programmed them with FORscan. Now I have two brand new keys for a total investment of $20! Pretty psyched!

Quick Reply: 2009 XL Super Cab the white whale