Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 F150 SuperCrew Fx4

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Bladesmith

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2003 F150 SuperCrew Fx4

So I thought I'd continue the discussion on my first post ( 2003 Pro Comp Lift Questions?) here, since it's kind of gone from a question about a lift, to a build thread, lol.

First, some back story. I picked up a factory stock (except the wheels and tires) 03 XLT SuperCrew with a 5.4, 3.73's custom wheels, and not much else. Mileage was a bit high at 219k, but the truck is immaculate, and obviously very well taken care of...so I'm not too terribly worried. Here's what it looked like when I got it:

Name:  20160307_090843.jpg
Views: 2660
Size:  225.5 KB
Name:  20160307_090833.jpg
Views: 2627
Size:  181.2 KB
Name:  20160307_090825.jpg
Views: 2634
Size:  189.2 KB

And here's what it looks like now, after the Fabtech 6" lift:

Name:  20160310_092728.jpg
Views: 2639
Size:  262.9 KB
Name:  20160310_092745.jpg
Views: 2763
Size:  224.6 KBName:  20160310_092753.jpg
Views: 2647
Size:  220.7 KB

Wheels and tires are off of my previous 02. I've ordered an SCT from Mike at 5 star, with three tunes (probably all the 87 octane tunes...haven't received it yet to get the strategy off of it to send him). Future plans are pretty much up in the air, but the next mods will be the Gotts deal, removing the silencer tube, and probably full dual exhaust with long tubes. That's where the previous discussion is now, and hopefully it can be continued here.

Originally Posted by ScrewThat
I think they're resonators and not actually cats..you could use the mid-pipe and modify it to like an x pipe or even true duals or you could just ditch that part entirely. I have the pacesetters on my truck and even with paint they're starting to surface rust on places where the paint has come off.
Yeah, I've never actually ever run stainless headers. The pipes on the 67 above were 2" primary accufab long tubes with 3.5" collectors. Sweet set of headers once I got them to fit right (had to send them back 2x). You can see them in this video"

And a couple pictures to show just how tight the headers were lol:

Name:  33393240121_large.jpg
Views: 2562
Size:  199.7 KB
Name:  33393240123_large.jpg
Views: 2589
Size:  193.2 KB

I've never worried too much about headers getting a bit rusty. But if I can find the right size in the OBX I'll go that route for sure.

Last edited by CrisAnderson27; 03-11-2016 at 04:46 PM.
Old 03-11-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts

http://www.obxracingsports.com/products.php?pk=1626

This is linked directly to obx's website. Idk if you can order straight from here or not but it says they can come without cats.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 F150 SuperCrew Fx4-photo718.jpg  
Old 03-12-2016, 02:14 AM
Bladesmith

I saw that on eBay as well. I'm just looking for headers though. No reason to pay $500 for a bunch of metal that's useless to me lol. Cheaper to buy the $250 ones and get them coated inside and out. Well, probably about the same actually (been awhile since I've priced coating headers), but the money would be better spent for me at that point.

Plus I think they only make 1 5/8" headers. For a bit of bolt on pull that's fine, but with the right cam timing, I can make boatloads of bottom end on 330ci with good flowing heads, intake...and open exhaust even. The 347 in my Mustang above was designed to be a high rpm screamer (lift and duration numbers were no joke lol...but neither was my daily driver doing low 10's N/A on pump gas), but the same premise works for lower rpm torque monsters. You just adjust the cam specifications and voila...power shift. Same heads, same intake, same exhaust. The only necessity is that they be as free flowing as is possible, and that the cam(s) be properly specced. Now, I've never built a modular motor, but I've built no small number of 2 valve single cam motors, and the concept really isn't any different.

Anyhow though, I'll keep looking around to see what's out there. All of this right now is just an exercise in theory lol. I doubt I'm ever going to do the actual work involved. Unless the thing lets go anyway .

Last edited by CrisAnderson27; 03-12-2016 at 11:52 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:16 AM
Bladesmith

So, I put the 5 star tunes in with the SCT today. I got the three 87 octane tunes. I tried the performance tune, and it made a pretty substantial difference. Although I could hear audible detonation flat footing it from a stop. I'll wait till the next tank and get gas somewhere else then try again before calling them to find out what's up though. Performance wise though, it was great. From a stop going around a corner it would spin my big 35" General Grabbers for 20' or so. I have heavy aluminum wheels as well. Before the tune that would never have happened.

Man did it suck down the gas though, even on the freeway. I started the day with a completely topped off tank, and the 40 miles out to my new house actually made the gauge move, and it's 90% freeway miles lol. Normally with the stock tune it takes about 80 miles of mostly freeway driving to get the gauge to come off full. Once I got out to the house though, I swapped it for the economy tune. I'm curious how that one is going to work out. There's a definite loss of power as compared to the performance tune, but it still feels a bit peppier than the stock tune, which is nice.

Anyhow, I'm happy with the purchase for sure. I'm leaving it on the economy tune for now. I'll post back what kind of measured mileage I get once I get a full tank down. My kids are going to be continuing in their current school for the next two months until school ends...so I'll get plenty of opportunity to check the mileage :/.

Also, quick question. Does anyone know how to pull the lenses out of the rear map lights on a SuperCrew? Google doesn't seem to be telling me what I need to know as everything refers to the dome light, and since I have a sunroof I don't have one of those.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by CrisAnderson27
So, I put the 5 star tunes in with the SCT today. I got the three 87 octane tunes. I tried the performance tune, and it made a pretty substantial difference. Although I could hear audible detonation flat footing it from a stop. I'll wait till the next tank and get gas somewhere else then try again before calling them to find out what's up though. Performance wise though, it was great. From a stop going around a corner it would spin my big 35" General Grabbers for 20' or so. I have heavy aluminum wheels as well. Before the tune that would never have happened.

Man did it suck down the gas though, even on the freeway. I started the day with a completely topped off tank, and the 40 miles out to my new house actually made the gauge move, and it's 90% freeway miles lol. Normally with the stock tune it takes about 80 miles of mostly freeway driving to get the gauge to come off full. Once I got out to the house though, I swapped it for the economy tune. I'm curious how that one is going to work out. There's a definite loss of power as compared to the performance tune, but it still feels a bit peppier than the stock tune, which is nice.

Anyhow, I'm happy with the purchase for sure. I'm leaving it on the economy tune for now. I'll post back what kind of measured mileage I get once I get a full tank down. My kids are going to be continuing in their current school for the next two months until school ends...so I'll get plenty of opportunity to check the mileage :/.

Also, quick question. Does anyone know how to pull the lenses out of the rear map lights on a SuperCrew? Google doesn't seem to be telling me what I need to know as everything refers to the dome light, and since I have a sunroof I don't have one of those.
Do the bulbs need replacing or what? I'm not sure if the plastic lens comes off the housing. You have to get to it from behind.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:05 AM
Bladesmith

They work, but I picked up LED bulbs for them.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:31 AM

They work, but I picked up LED bulbs for them.
You gotta open them from behind. It was a chore. I couldn't tell you the best way I kinda just pried and wiggled til I got it in lol.
Old 03-14-2016, 09:13 AM
Bladesmith

Ahhh, you mean pull the whole housing out of the headliner?

Sounds like fun lol.
Old 03-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Ahhh, you mean pull the whole housing out of the headliner?

Sounds like fun lol.
Yuppp. Pulling it out of the liner is easy. It just pries out if my memory serves me correctly
Old 03-09-2018, 05:53 PM
Bladesmith

So, two years and a buttload of miles later...my 5.4 gave up the ghost lol...and man oh man the replacement motor has been a nightmare.

https://www.f150forum.com/f6/replace...8/#post5694315

Quick Reply: 2003 F150 SuperCrew Fx4