Topic Sponsor
Members Builds See any build threads created by members to track progress of their projects.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 4x4 Lightning Build

Old 11-13-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Default 2000 4x4 Lightning Build

Hey all. Been a part of the forum here for a few years but I'm just now getting around to my build thread. The truck has come a long way since I bought it, and I'm getting ready to do a complete high power drivetrain build on it. Here's what I've done to it in the past few years I've owned it.

Got the truck 3 years ago with plenty of rust and 90s styling. It had a 6 inch fabtech lift and 16x10s with 35 BFG KM2s and those awful clear tail lights

Over time I did almost all maintenance possible and also fixed a lot of rust. Changed both rockers and 3 of the 4 doors.

Also did some small exterior changes such as black lightning headlights, LED recon tail lights, Line X'd the grill and lower valance, clear depo fogs, and had the windows tinted.

Next was the wheels and tires. I ended up with 20x9 XD Spy wheels wrapped in 35x12.5 Nitto Trail Grapplers

Summer of 2016 I decided I wanted to do the common "Ford Lightning Swap" where the intake and up of your N/A 5.4 motor is replaced with the Ford Lightning supercharged setup. I bought the swap with almost all parts needed, including several upgrades. Upgrades are as follows:
Ported supercharger, midplate, and upper plenum
Accufab single blade throttle body
SCT BA2400 MAF
Metco Lower Pulley Hub

Old 11-13-2017, 08:08 PM

Over the past year, I spent time accumulating the rest of the parts needed to do the swap, as well as some extras. I knew my factory trans wasn't going to hold up much longer with high mileage and the torque of the blower, so I ended up finding a good deal on a set of axles and a trans.
9.75 rear axle with T/A performance rear girdle, detroit truetrac, and 4.10 gears
8.8 front diff with 4.10 gears and detroit truetrac
Transmission is a fully built 4r70w with fully forged/ billet hard parts, high energy clutches, B&M deep sump pan, and a Circle D billet triple disc converter with a 2400-2600 stall speed.
Old 11-13-2017, 08:17 PM

After consideration, I didn't want to run big power on my worn out stock block because that's a recipe for disaster. Ended up finding a great deal on a built motor and jumped on it. Here's the details

5.4 block bored 0.030 over
JE 9.5:1 CR pistons
Scat H Beam rods
Factory forged 8 bolt crank
CNC ported heads
Trick Flow Valve Covers
ARP Hardware and Felpro Gaskets

Old 11-13-2017, 09:51 PM

Received 5,527 Likes on 4,611 Posts

Wow , another cool build goin, so do you and 2thousand5.4 have some sort silent competition going on ? Both are sweet.

Looks like your starting off solid, covering as many bases as you can. A fresh built block even. What kind of power you think, 440 ? More like 460 I expect.

This will be another fun one to watch develop.

Your going to have a suffer a break in period...can yuh do it?
Old 11-14-2017, 01:40 AM

Received 2,508 Likes on 1,818 Posts

Nice looking engine on that trailer. Good thing you have room in your garage lol. Good luck with the build.
Old 11-14-2017, 05:04 AM

Received 1,353 Likes on 1,070 Posts

You are definitely starting with quality components. I can't wait to see what you make.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by Jbrew
Wow , another cool build goin, so do you and 2thousand5.4 have some sort silent competition going on ? Both are sweet.

Looks like your starting off solid, covering as many bases as you can. A fresh built block even. What kind of power you think, 440 ? More like 460 I expect.

This will be another fun one to watch develop.

Your going to have a suffer a break in period...can yuh do it?
I talk to him every day. Our builds are pretty similar, only advantage I have on him at the moment is that I have my blower ported. He’s got Trick flow heads, I’ve got CNC’d. At the crank I should be about 550. At the tires maybe 450ish.
Originally Posted by akdoggie
Nice looking engine on that trailer. Good thing you have room in your garage lol. Good luck with the build.
Funny thing is I don’t have room in my garage. I don’t even have a garage at the moment. Family is moving and we’re in a rental house. Everything is in a storage unit and I’m renting someone’s garage for the winter to do everything.

Originally Posted by jprevat
You are definitely starting with quality components. I can't wait to see what you make.
Thanks. Me neither! I’m getting custom cams ground for better low end torque, so it should really shine there. Rear tires aren’t gonna last long lol
Old 11-14-2017, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by ZebraFord
Thanks. Me neither! I €™m getting custom cams ground for better low end torque, so it should really shine there. Rear tires aren €™t gonna last long lol
Lol may have to switch to some ats for better road grip.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by jprevat
Lol may have to switch to some ats for better road grip.
That’s what I’m thinking too. I love my M/Ts but I know I’ll just be breaking them loose constantly. I’ve thought of taking the lift off and going to a 33 inch A/T but I love my 35s too much. Once these wear out I’ll go to either the A/T or the new hybrid R/T
Old 11-14-2017, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by ZebraFord
That €™s what I €™m thinking too. I love my M/Ts but I know I €™ll just be breaking them loose constantly. I €™ve thought of taking the lift off and going to a 33 inch A/T but I love my 35s too much. Once these wear out I €™ll go to either the A/T or the new hybrid R/T
I really like my ats but i would look hard at the rts. Keep the lift and 35s though.

Search this Thread