Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

OEM Radio/GPS install in a 2007

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 06:04 AM
Moderator (Ret.)

Received 474 Likes on 374 Posts

Default OEM Radio/GPS install in a 2007

I own a 2007 STX supercab. I wanted GPS, so I located a reasonably priced OEM Factory unit with GPS. There are many OEM GPS radios out there, some from a Navigator model, some from a Lincholn, some from F150's. I found a model that was removed from a 2007 F150 for $300.00. My understanding is that these different models have a screen picture (when the radio is off) of either the Ford oval, or other model name. None of this effects the radios operation however. Mine came from a LKQ parts seller, with a 90 day warranty. Even came with the factory GPS maps disc.

Installed it, along with an "aftermarket" GPS antenna. Radio worked flawlessly. GPS however, was unable to obtain any GPS signal strength. Using the diagnostic method of holding in the "3" and "6" buttons on the radio, then selecting a GPS tab, the screen showed me that I had no GPS signals. Tried parking in the street with clear view of the sky (it was a sunny day), tried driving around for a few miles, but still not able to get 3 satilite signals required for the GPS to work. I even tried mounting this antenna above the dash, directly under the front glass. This location allowed me to obtain 2 out of 3 signals, so the antenna was not broken, just unable to pull 3 strong signals.

Contacting the seller of the GPS, he informed me I was the first to ever complain of his GPS antenna's not working with the factory OEM GPS radio. His did have the correct OEM pink connector, and were advertised to work with these OEM GPS units, and they are priced much lower then an OEM factory GPS antenna.

The seller refunded the purchase price. I bought an OEM F250/350 factory GPS antenna, as it resembled the location under the dash that my F150 would use. Plugged it in, and had instant GPS reception. There are many different OEM part numbers for this GPS radio, each one for a particular Ford vehicle model. I would assume that any 2004 to 2009 model would work, but went with an F series one.

So, the purpose of this post is to inform anyone that plans to add an OEM factory GPS to their F150; be careful of what GPS antenna you buy for the GPS function.

I know there are many great aftermarket head units available with GPS, but I got a great deal on an OEM one, as the prices for them have come down in price.

Last edited by Mod (Ret.); 03-09-2015 at 06:14 AM.
Old 10-31-2015, 01:58 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Care to share the part numbers for those of us who may also want to go this route?

Any pics? I'd love to see how this looks in your F150.
Old 10-31-2015, 08:43 PM
WindowGuy

Received 153 Likes on 135 Posts

I have an aftermarket Nav that I like a lot, but I agree with you, for what you have invested, you made a good choice.
Old 01-21-2016, 07:05 PM

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts

wow that monkey shaking his head is pretty annoying.

Quick Reply: OEM Radio/GPS install in a 2007