Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

How to add running lights and turn signals to tow mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Meaner than ymeski56

Received 457 Likes on 331 Posts

Default How to add running lights and turn signals to tow mirrors

Well I bought a set of tow mirrors and after having the running and signal lights on my standard mirrors, I wanted to do the same to my tow mirrors. I don't have pictures for the whole process so you may need to use your imagination.

I bought a pair of 3 LED clearance lights online:

https://www.trailerandtruckparts.com...er_p_1323.html

Then I took the mirrors off. You have to take off both flat and convex mirrors to get to all the screws. To get them off use a small, long flathead screwdriver to pop the clips. Patience is key.

Once the screws are out, take the front and rear halves of the mirror apart so you can drill for the lights. I placed my lights as far to the outside centered between the 2 telescoping arms. Be sure to measure multiple times to ensure both sides are identical. I then used a step bit to drill just big enough for the wires and plastic extension to fit through. Clean the surface, take the adhesive off the back of the light and press for a bit to ensure a good bond.

I already had wires with running light power run into my door so I didn't have to worry about that. To run the wires into the mirror was another story. The stock wires wind through the mirror in a weird way that I couldn't get another wire through so I decided to drill a small hole through the aluminum backing (behind the foam that goes up against the exterior of the door). I drilled in the hole one spot towards the rear of where the harness plug is. This way the wire pops out in the middle between the two arms and can be routed easily into the mirror and connected to the light. The ground can be connected with the ground for the rest of the mirror functions.

Now for the interesting part. To have both running lights and turn signals with only 1 LED light, you have to do a bit of wiring. I found these diagrams that explain it very well. The first picture is not labeled very well but there are 2 diodes and 1 resistor. I used the first diagram since I installed the wiring in my doors.

This is how I installed it in the doors. I taped everything up and tucked the wires away so that there are no rattles.

Here's a link for door panel removal. I'm practically an expert at this with how many times I've removed mine.

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/door-panel-removal-89525/

Here is a short video of it all finished.

http://youtube.com/index?&desktop_ur...?v=jN-5wkhW-D4

And a link to the other thread I started about this mod.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/tow-mi...lights-178455/

Let me know of any questions and I'll try to answer them. I'll also try to take some pictures of it finished as the ones I did take were too dark to see much.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Moved and approved.
The following users liked this post:
XtraLargeTall (12-28-2012)
Old 02-05-2014, 07:29 PM
Iowa Farmer

Received 213 Likes on 162 Posts

Subbed so I can find this later
Old 02-05-2014, 07:46 PM
BAMF Club

Received 103 Likes on 94 Posts

sub'd so I can see pics later
Old 01-22-2015, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Resistors

What is the wattage of the resistor you used for the LED's?

Originally Posted by XtraLargeTall
Well I bought a set of tow mirrors and after having the running and signal lights on my standard mirrors, I wanted to do the same to my tow mirrors. I don't have pictures for the whole process so you may need to use your imagination.

I bought a pair of 3 LED clearance lights online:

https://www.trailerandtruckparts.com...er_p_1323.html

Then I took the mirrors off. You have to take off both flat and convex mirrors to get to all the screws. To get them off use a small, long flathead screwdriver to pop the clips. Patience is key.

Once the screws are out, take the front and rear halves of the mirror apart so you can drill for the lights. I placed my lights as far to the outside centered between the 2 telescoping arms. Be sure to measure multiple times to ensure both sides are identical. I then used a step bit to drill just big enough for the wires and plastic extension to fit through. Clean the surface, take the adhesive off the back of the light and press for a bit to ensure a good bond.

I already had wires with running light power run into my door so I didn't have to worry about that. To run the wires into the mirror was another story. The stock wires wind through the mirror in a weird way that I couldn't get another wire through so I decided to drill a small hole through the aluminum backing (behind the foam that goes up against the exterior of the door). I drilled in the hole one spot towards the rear of where the harness plug is. This way the wire pops out in the middle between the two arms and can be routed easily into the mirror and connected to the light. The ground can be connected with the ground for the rest of the mirror functions.

Now for the interesting part. To have both running lights and turn signals with only 1 LED light, you have to do a bit of wiring. I found these diagrams that explain it very well. The first picture is not labeled very well but there are 2 diodes and 1 resistor. I used the first diagram since I installed the wiring in my doors.

This is how I installed it in the doors. I taped everything up and tucked the wires away so that there are no rattles.

Here's a link for door panel removal. I'm practically an expert at this with how many times I've removed mine.

https://www.f150forum.com/f30/door-panel-removal-89525/

Here is a short video of it all finished.

http://youtube.com/index?&desktop_ur...?v=jN-5wkhW-D4

And a link to the other thread I started about this mod.

https://www.f150forum.com/f38/tow-mi...lights-178455/

Let me know of any questions and I'll try to answer them. I'll also try to take some pictures of it finished as the ones I did take were too dark to see much.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:11 PM
Meaner than ymeski56

Received 457 Likes on 331 Posts

Originally Posted by F150Built
What is the wattage of the resistor you used for the LED's?
They're 270 ohm resistors.
Old 02-26-2015, 12:26 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Truck-Lite are making these LEDs with 2 intensity out of the box. No need to make a resistor circuit, simply connect 3 wires.

Model is 36203Y
http://www.truck-lite.com/webapp/wcs...roductId=94002

I just bought 2 of these (20$ each) at a local truck parts store. Can't wait for the weather to warm up to make this mod!
Old 05-17-2015, 12:43 PM

I am in need of some help with connecting power the LED running lights I have installed in my mirrors. I already completed the turn signal mod and it works great. I watched a video on F150leds.com that explain you connect the power wire for the running lights to PIN 6 in the kick panel on the passenger side. What from I can tell the wire harness that video shows and mine are different. I have a 2012 F150 Lariat. I tried just about every wire down there with no luck. The video also explained that this would turn the running lights on when the fog lights were on. I have all the wires ran through the doors and under the dash, I just need to know where to get power from.

If anyone has any insight or know how I can resolve this issue that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 08-31-2015, 09:54 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Default How to add running lights and turn signals to tow mirrors

How do you make the stock blinkers on the mirrors stay on all the time as running lights?
Old 04-04-2016, 12:14 AM

Originally Posted by NewtoFord14
I am in need of some help with connecting power the LED running lights I have installed in my mirrors. I already completed the turn signal mod and it works great. I watched a video on F150leds.com that explain you connect the power wire for the running lights to PIN 6 in the kick panel on the passenger side. What from I can tell the wire harness that video shows and mine are different. I have a 2012 F150 Lariat. I tried just about every wire down there with no luck. The video also explained that this would turn the running lights on when the fog lights were on. I have all the wires ran through the doors and under the dash, I just need to know where to get power from.

If anyone has any insight or know how I can resolve this issue that would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Hey buddy, I too have this exact problem on my 2012. Where did you eventu find power?

Quick Reply: How to add running lights and turn signals to tow mirrors