Topic Sponsor
Electrical, Lights and Audio "How-To" articles pertaining to the Electrical System (including Lights and Audio) of an F150

Disable Perimeter Lighting (Save your HIDs)

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 12:07 AM

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Disable Perimeter Lighting (Save your HIDs)

With lots of people changing over to HIDs I thought this was worth a post. Since they require a heat up/cool down period, it's a great idea to disable the perimeter lighting feature on our trucks. I've seen this question asked a few times before. It's hiding in the manual in the section on the keyless entry, of all places. Pretty hard to find.

What is perimeter lighting?
When you press the unlock button with your keyless entry fob, the headlights come on for ~25 seconds. It is used to illuminate the exterior of the vehicle and give better visibility to the user while approaching the vehicle.

Why disable it?
The perimeter lighting feature will, to be blunt, greatly reduce the life of your HIDs. The constant flickering on and off from the perimeter lighting causes unnecessary wear on the bulbs since they don't have time to properly warm up or cool down before their next use.

How to disable it.
Straight from a 2007 Ford F-150 Owner's Guide:
Originally Posted by F150 Manual, pg. 137
Enabling/Disabling the perimeter lighting feature
Your vehicle comes with the perimeter lighting feature enabled. All vehicle doors must be closed before beginning the procedure. You must complete Steps 1-5 withing 30 seconds, or the procedure will have to be repeated. If the procedure needs to be repeated, you must wait a minimum of 30 seconds to begin again.

1. Turn the ignition to the ON position, then press the unlock control three times.
2. Turn the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position, then press the unlock control three times.
3. Turn the ignition to the ON position; the horn will chirp to indicate the driver configuration mode has been activated.
4. Within five seconds, press the unlock control two times.

Note: One horn chirp should be heard, indicating the system has been disabled. Conversely, a horn chirp followed by a honk will indicate the system is enabled. Pressing the power door unlock control two times again will turn the feature ON if it was previously OFF, or OFF if it was previously ON. Every two consecutive presses of the unlock control after successfully entering the configuration mode will change the enable/disable condition of the feature.

5. Turn the ignition to the OFF/LOCK position to exit programming.

Note: After exiting the driver configuration mode, the horn will chirp once to indicate a feature has been activated/deactivated.

Hope this helps some of you guys out! Oh yeah, please readjust your HIDs after installing them. Now that you've readjusted them, aim them a bit further down.
The following users liked this post:
Toshbar (10-27-2015)
Old 07-19-2010, 02:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will this work with 2002F-150? I have been looking at my owner's manual I did not see this. Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 01:03 AM

Received 33 Likes on 11 Posts

I think it's only for '04-'08, but it's worth a shot, right?
Old 07-21-2010, 02:09 AM

I tried not working or I did something wrong. Thanks
Old 07-23-2010, 12:16 AM

Anyone know how to do this on 09-10?
Old 08-01-2010, 01:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Why not just change the time they stay on, i did it a mine takes about 1 min to turn off, an is a nice feature, anyway a HID bulb cost just $20
Old 12-04-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Will reprogramming this deactivate the interior dome light coming on as well? I am planning on mounting 48" LEDs along/under my side steps to come on as large more practical puddle lights when the dome light is activated...
Old 12-10-2010, 08:44 PM

got an 08 its on page 152 tried it but its not working out...

dont want one of my HID bulbs to go out soon....
Old 02-23-2011, 11:02 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tried this on my 03..

turned to on position then unlock x3
turned to off position then unlock x3
turned to on positon then unlock x2
got the honk but didnt work

its weird, it seems like it was programed to do it but lights still came on
Old 03-02-2011, 09:45 PM

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

I didnt have it on page 137, I found those exact steps on page 87 but it was for the keyless entry not disabling headlights

Quick Reply: Disable Perimeter Lighting (Save your HIDs)