Topic Sponsor
Engine & Drivetrain "How-To" articles pertaining to the Engine and Drivetrain of an F150 (including Exhaust)

changing fuel filter 04-08.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 02:36 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default changing fuel filter 04-08.

i did mine today and figured i would do a how to write up on it for anyone interested! here it goes..

step 1- you will need a fuel line disconnect tool here is the kit i borrowed from my brother but you can get a cheap one from the autoparts store!

i used the red (5/16 fuel line) tool

step 2- the fuel filter is located on the inside of the frame rail on the drivers side of the truck just under the cad

step 3- once you find the filter its time to grab the red tool. i started with the fuel line with the orange clip. spread the tool apart and place it over the metal fuel line of the filter. once you done that slide the tool into the connection and at the same time gently pull the two apart like so (make sure to place a container under the genral area there will be a small amount of fuel in the filter and lines not much though)

step 4- now its time to do the other side of the filter, the process is exactly the same except there is a metal clip that must be removed inorder to get the tool into the connection as shown below

to remove the metal clip push it down and then push it out of the connection..

once clip is free you need to get the tool inthere the same as the previous step only this time as you can see above there is a plastic retaining clip holding the elbow inplace so when you push the tool in gently pull the elbow straight back making sure the fuel line comes out of the plastic clip also

after you have the lines disconnected i found it was eassiest to push the filter out of the holder towards the front of the truck like so

once out it will look like this..

now its time to put the new filter back into place.make sure to have the arrow on the filter pointing towards the front of the truck. i simply pushed it down into the holder but you can also slide it back in the same way you pushed it out. once the new filter is inplace the red tool is nolonger needed just gently push the lines back on the same way you took them off you will feel and hear them click back into place

once everythin is reconnected i turned the key on and off afewtimes without starting the truck to get the air out of the lines you will hear the fuel pump make a abnormal sound for the first few turns but it is normal and will go away after afew turns of the key. next you should start the truck and let run while checking your fittings for leaks if you are leak free you are done and have succesfully done your first fuelfilter change on your truck!!

Last edited by 06fordf150; 06-13-2009 at 02:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
joe mcmillan (02-19-2013)
Old 06-29-2009, 05:20 PM
Platinum

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a great lesson for me (at least).

Thanks a milion.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by IFMIFM
That's a great lesson for me (at least).

Thanks a milion.
hey just glad i could help bro
Old 07-01-2009, 08:33 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I appreciate that!
I'M DONE WITH THE DEALER!
Old 07-02-2009, 07:38 PM

Good write up.
Old 07-02-2009, 09:38 PM

thanks guys like i said glad i could help out!!
Old 07-21-2009, 01:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

how often should the fuel filter be changed?
Old 08-22-2009, 03:54 PM

what happend to the pictures on these instructions? And how do you depressurize the fuel line?

Thanks,
C_
Old 08-23-2009, 03:38 PM

Did mine the other day. I let the truck sit for a while, not much fuel came out, mostly from the filter itself.
Old 08-23-2009, 04:25 PM

yeah when i did this there was minimal fuel that spilt out basically whatever was in the filter and alitle from the lines nothing major.

and i dont know what happend to the pics!

Quick Reply: changing fuel filter 04-08.