Topic Sponsor
Exterior "How-To" articles pertaining to the Exterior of an F150

How to paint your Flares on a budget!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:45 PM
Ford tough since '88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default How to paint your Flares on a budget!

Hey guys, I recently painted my flares on my truck (2002 F-150 Screw) and after a while of searching I never really found a thread on it. So here is a "How-to" on painting your flares cheap and easy. I didn't paint my fenders on the truck cause I hate overspray if the tape isn't perfect. If you want to paint them on the truck, tape will be needed lol!

Items needed:

1) Wash your flares with a degreaser
2) 2 Cans of *Color of choice* Krylon Fusion for Plastic (I used Satin Black)
3) 3M 320 grit sandpaper
4) Windex
5) Roll of paper towels
6) Terry Cloth

Step 1: Take the flares off the truck by unscrewing the 4 panel screws and gently popping out the retainers. *Note - some retainers (depending on how old they are) may break in removal, from what i've seen they are dealer only items at $2.50/piece but you can buy some that will work at your local autoparts store, just be creative.

Step 2: Lay out your flares to wash the backside and rid them of all dirt. Even though you don't see it, it's always nice to have a clean inside to prevent rust and anything else.

Step 3: Take your 320 grit sandpaper and gently scuff up the surface and edges of your flares. Be careful to not cause deep scratches or an uneven surface. Make sure all chips and gouges are smoothed out for a better finished look.

Step 4: Wash the flares by spraying with windex and wiping clean with a paper towel making absolute sure that all sanding residue is removed.

Step 5: Take your terry cloth and wipe down everything ensuring absolute dryness and cleanliness.

Step 6: Take your can of Krylon Fusion for Plastics and evenly paint each fender with a light coat. After the last fender is painted, go back over them one more time and let dry for about 2 hours depending on weather.

Step 7: Look over your flares and make sure all spots are covered and your desired color is accomplished. If not repeat step 6 until satisfied.

Step 8: After dry time is accomplished and you can handle your flares, get ready to put them back on the truck. *Note - I would clean the spot where the flares mounted to, for a clean, easy installation.

Step 9: Make sure all retainers are accounted for and installed on the flares. Leaving them on the truck will make this a much harder install. Start off by "popping" the lower retainers first and make your way up to the center. After all retainers are in, install the screws and your golden pony boy!

Step 10: Take pictures using your camera of choice (I used my Droid) and upload to www.f150forum.com for other users to see.

This is a Before Picture:

Last edited by Nitewolf; 12-18-2010 at 11:14 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:04 PM

Looks good! And nice information.. I plan on getting some bushwackers, after this I'll just save the money and paint them myself.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:09 PM
Ford tough since '88

Originally Posted by apoirier594
Looks good! And nice information.. I plan on getting some bushwackers, after this I'll just save the money and paint them myself.
I also plan on getting some bushwackers so this project is for a short time only as of right now, but it may be longer than expected
Old 12-18-2010, 06:40 PM
call me Randy

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

It makes your bed rails look faded but still looks good, how much more are you planning on painting?
Old 12-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Ford tough since '88

bed rails and top part of rear bumper and inner wheel wells and bottom of front bumper

Last edited by Nitewolf; 12-18-2010 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 07:41 PM
call me Randy

That will look good, when you get that done you might want to paint the black plastic around the back glass, Im pretty sure theres someone on here that did it

Last edited by 2000MTZ; 12-18-2010 at 07:41 PM. Reason: stil cant spel
Old 12-18-2010, 11:15 PM
Ford tough since '88

Originally Posted by 2000MTZ
That will look good, when you get that done you might want to paint the black plastic around the back glass, Im pretty sure theres someone on here that did it
Unless it comes off fairly easy and goes on the same way I doubt I will paint that part of the truck.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:24 PM
call me Randy

Originally Posted by Nitewolf
Unless it comes off fairly easy and goes on the same way I doubt I will paint that part of the truck.
dont have to take it off, just tape around it and use some plastic or newspapers and it should be fairly easy to paint, ill try to find the guy who did his and you can talk to him about it
Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 PM
call me Randy

Im pretty sure this is the guy who did his, the pics have been erased on the thread but i think this is him...theville89
Old 12-19-2010, 12:29 AM
iNeedAngerMngmt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think yours looked better original.
I just wanted to touch mine up only when I did mine, the paint started chipping right off after only two weeks. Should have used the paint you suggested..

Quick Reply: How to paint your Flares on a budget!