Topic Sponsor
Exterior "How-To" articles pertaining to the Exterior of an F150

Foglight Bulb Explodes, Getting Glass Shards Out of Lens

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 09:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Foglight Bulb Explodes, Getting Glass Shards Out of Lens

Ok, here's my small, but hopefully useful, contribution in the event this happens to someone else.

Earlier this week, I noticed I had a fog light out; upon closer inspection, as the title states, the bulb exploded for whatever bizarre reason (never happened before, my truck is all stock, no mods) and left all sorts of tiny glass shards in the lens.

At first, I tried to grab all the pieces one by one using the tool I sort of invented below, by having a ball of tape at the end. Problem is, too many shards got stuck in the crevices of the lens. So, it appeared the best thing to do was take the lens unit out, and try to shake all the shards out. It's not as easy when the shards get stuck in the crevices...

First off, I was surprised at how easy it was to remove the lens (I have an '05 King Ranch).

I shook most of the stuff out, but to get the rest, I needed something like the tool in the pictures below. I bumbled around my garage and found a tent stake, then simply taped a chunk of cloth around it, effectively making a giant cotton swab.

For the pieces stuck in the crevices, you need to apply GENTLE pressure pushing outwards from behind the lens, while at the same time GENTLY bumping the opposing side against some sort of hard surface.

Finally, after all the shards have been removed, you should probably "swab" around the horizontal lens surfaces, as it appears when a bulb blows you get this very fine dust all over the place.
Attached Images   
Old 08-02-2012, 01:37 AM
Meaner than Ymeski

Received 819 Likes on 468 Posts

Approved and moved

Quick Reply: Foglight Bulb Explodes, Getting Glass Shards Out of Lens