Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

What Ever Happend to SSI Review/Tune Thread.

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 11:36 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What Ever Happend to SSI Review/Tune Thread.

I've been searching for the thread to post my experience with SSI tunes and services. But it's gone. I know there was some major altercations between member on the forum on that topic and it was shut down for 24 hours... Then it just never opened...I'm posting this new topic to make our community better and hopefully reinforce a high standard that we as consumers expect when we PAY for a service/product. I do not want this post to be deleted because it contains information about SSI, as it appears has happened in the past due to "lack of professionalism, and respect."

Before I start my review, let me preface how I look and judge institutions. I believe there are essentially three major types of institutions:

1. A GRADE: Institutions that have a true passion for their product, customers, and employees, which produce superior products/services which sell themselves because of the quality. Their highest priority is quality products and services while their secondary priority is to make make money. They go above and beyond even after the customer has spent their money.

2. B Grade: Lucrative means drive these institutions, but they still produce good products and services because they know in order to be successful they need to be legitimate to the consumer. They are helpful but don't go out of their way to ensure your happiness after you've spent your money.

3. C Grade: Only money matters the these institutions. They often cut corners in order to make the most profit. Most effort is spent trying to sell the product or service. Often with flashy and seemingly amazing deals or stats. They want to appear legitimate as much as possible. They have excellent upfront customer service, but once they have received their money, the purpose of the consumer is spent for them, and customer satisfaction no longer matters. After these institutions products/services show their true nature, often these businesses move to other markets, under a new name, or sell the same product under a new name.

I decided to purcahseal SSI because of a very few peoples testimonials on this site and some of their impressive 1/4 mile times. I had a 5star tune, which I love on my turck, but I wanted something more aggressive but didn't want to purchase the well respected Livernois "tuner." I was initially concerned because I found a post with Shawn Ellis (the tuner) blowing up on a customer (not on this forum.) Then I found out that he use to be called SoCal tuning. So i googled that and found on SVT forums similar evidence of trash talking from Shawn Ellis. This concerned me. But at the same time people were praising him. Well I got weak and desire for speed made me crack. I called and left a voice mail asking for a tune. Shawn promptly replied, apologized for not answering earlier, got my info and sent me the two tunes and I sent him my money.

I ordered the t4, and t4 street. I initially loaded the t4 93 onto my truck. It initially made me laugh because of the amount of boost/torque at barley touching the throttle. A slight touch of the throttle practically lifts the front wheels off the pavement. Personally, it was way to much for a daily driver and casual off roading truck. Try rolling over some rock with that throttle and you're going to end up off the trail. Of course all that is preference and also why they make a street and snow tune, which changes throttle position and I believe the waste gate position under light throttle. Anyways, my first real problem with the tune was while under WOT, the entire truck started to misfire at 4000 RPM. I immediately called him and left a message. He didn't call back, which is understandable. I decided to load the other tune, t4 street, and it didn't have the same problem. It was slightly lower octane, so I thought perhaps I had bad gas. The T4 street tune, was slightly less violent with light pedal operation, but was still too much for my taste.

When I didn't hear back from him in 24 hours, I pimped him with an email. He immediately, called me back and assured me that it wasn't the tune, but most likely bad gas. So refilled up at a trusted gas station that I feel my 630 whp mustang with. Same misfire happens. He tells me to get ride of the tunes and he will send me new ones. I never got the tunes and that was the last time I have heard from Shawn Ellis despite another voice mail I left him, and several emails. That was three months ago. I thought maybe I annoyed or offended Shawn some way. Since then I've felt like some what like Jerry Seinfeld after he upsets the Soup ****, robbing him of ever receiving soup from his favorite soup store-- but with Shawn it's "NO TUNES FOR YOU!" That man got my money and since then hasn't given me any support. Yet his forums and site claim outstanding service after you purchase the tune including free tweaking.

The one tune from SSI that does work is very powerful and feels much quicker. However; it runs TONS of boost at all levels and not just WOT throttle. Put it on cruise control and it will spike to 20 psi up a small hill. Wastegate management doesn't exist in my opinion, it is closed all the time. Shift strategy is super aggressive and harsh. It may be a fast tune, but I believe it severely ruins the drive-train durability.

Looking back on the whole experience, I should have realized what I was getting into when virtually every thread that mentions the name Shawn Ellis ends up with someone bringing up a poor experience, followed up by a few of his loyal fans, and sometimes himself, attacking the consumer, rather that going out of their way to solve the problem.

Additionally, I still wonder why he changed his name and exclusivly markets ecoboost tunes on his forums, despite being a tuner of other sports cars and trucks in the past. Perhaps, after enough poor reviews and poor sales in those markets, he moved onto a new market, dumping a name that had mixed reviews. His website is spat full of random pictures of sports cars, most of which were originally from past car manufactures brochures or from other websites... aka stolen copy righted pictures. Does he not have pictures of his own vehicles that he has tuned.

Final judgment: SSI is a tuner that falls under my before mentioned C category. Shawn Ellis's business sells a flashy, low quality product with poor and selective customer support. There are many other tuners to select from. For now I'm sticking with my 5star.

Additional thoughts: if by some means he never received my voicemail, which worked before, and my several emails. I apologize and look forward to my issues being fixed. Also, because I've seen what happens if you post negative information on SSI's forums, (flogging leading to banning,) I figured I'd have a better chance of informing people here.

Last edited by 8WOOD; 01-17-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 06:47 AM

Received 111 Likes on 77 Posts

His followers say his tunes are safe, but when I asked for someone to post their data logs for me to review and see, nobody posted one up. How can he know whats going on without data logs? How can people say that their tunes are perfect when they cant read a data log or haven't taken a data log? How does he know that the problem wasn't his tune and was bad gas without having you data log? So the offer still stands and I am still waiting on someone with an ssi tune to post up data logs....lol
Old 01-17-2014, 08:55 AM

Received 153 Likes on 103 Posts

Sorry for your experience 8wood. READ VERY CLOSELY I AM NOT DEFENDING BUT ONLY OFFERING ADVICE:

8Wood, prior to loading the tunes did you re-gap your plugs? If not that is one of the things you "should" do with any of the aftermarket tuners. Gap them down to .032-.030. I also recommend going with the SP-534's....seriously try this first.

----Read all my tuner recommendations and I always caution guys who run Shawn's tunes as their first ones....REASON---they are insanely touchy, fast, and some of us run pretty high boost numbers----my truck has ran higher than requested boost from both of tuners...datalogs are hidden in a locked thread somewhere.

Don't give up totally on Shawn, yet. A lot guys come back and love the tunes...but if this is your first set---they'll make you nervous. I know you have a 630hp mustang----(I've had 360HP stealths, 12 sec fastbacks, 14sec SS's...you get the point)----but SSinc tunes are characterized by insane amounts of throttle tip in---they can be lightened but they are no longer a Shawn Ellis tune.

You could blind fold me and load tunes from my different tuners and I could tell you exactly who created it. Seriously for what you want...Try Unleashed Tunes...little less tip in, good boost, good shifts. My knock numbers are slightly higher on Torrie's tunes but they "feel" more tame.

Shawn's knock numbers for me never max beyond 2.99* and I've got a tune pushing 20+lbs almost across the board.

Check out Torrie's tunes, and then re-visit Shawn's tunes. I run SSinc as a daily driver....but I also drive daily in basically a SHO with less torque reduction and a locked 50/50 AWD when I'm working.

I have tons of datalogs...to be honest it's a royal pain the rear to extract it, re-size it, and post a pic of the graph.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:40 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by 02reaper
His followers say his tunes are safe, but when I asked for someone to post their data logs for me to review and see, nobody posted one up. How can he know whats going on without data logs? How can people say that their tunes are perfect when they cant read a data log or haven't taken a data log? How does he know that the problem wasn't his tune and was bad gas without having you data log? So the offer still stands and I am still waiting on someone with an ssi tune to post up data logs....lol
I've never seen anyone's data logs posted here. There was a blow up a couple of years ago accusing someone of using data logs to pirate tunes (can't be done), but tuners prefer data logs not be posted.
Old 01-17-2014, 10:47 AM

+1 on the spark plugs! They are often gapped too wide from the factory, and in spite of the 100K service suggestion, mine were toast by 40K (was running LMS tunes then). If you have as much at 20 or 30K on your plugs, replace them with SP-534 or the Brisk Racing Plugs.
FYI, SSI is down for a while due to computer and back up failure. Recovery is in progress but may take a couple of weeks. If you tried to reach Shawn recently, that is why he is not responding as he couldn't do anything at this time and is working full time on data recovery. Customer service isn't always as prompt as in the past because the user base has expanded so much so a couple of polite reminders may be required, but wait a couple of weeks and do your spark plugs in the meantime.
Also, T4 is full on, T4 Street is better for me and the Snow tune is the most gentle of all until you put your foot down.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 01-17-2014 at 10:54 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:00 AM

^^^This man right here has had his share of disagreements from time to time, too.

He knows almost better than anyone, don't give up on the SSinc tunes...you just have understand that no matter how many times we say it, Shawn's tunes aren't for the uncertain person....the tunes are are all out all the time.

Try the plugs, let people on here help you out...and if you don't like em' cool. You might love another Tuner---a true CUSTOM tuner---has a "style". My two tuners accomplish similar goals....but are insanely different in the tune's characteristics.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by 13'TwinScrew
^^^This man right here has had his share of disagreements from time to time, too.
Not me, I'm one of the originals and know a good thing as I have tried several. I have no issues with 5 Star either as they are also one of the best. Tunes and tuners do have "personalities" and you are best served by what works for you, not what works for someone else. And even Shawn says that.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 01-17-2014 at 11:21 AM.
The following users liked this post:
johndeerefarmer (01-17-2014)
Old 01-17-2014, 11:21 AM

I thought you had issues getting the shifts to your liking on eaaaaaarrrrrrrly tunes? My bad, I thought that early on you went through some tunes to get it the way you wanted. I've always been pretty lucky...since I "did" share Rodney's strategy.

To the OP, Ski is one of the reasons that Shawn's Tow tunes have been as refined as they are, too.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by 13'TwinScrew
I thought you had issues getting the shifts to your liking on eaaaaaarrrrrrrly tunes? My bad, I thought that early on you went through some tunes to get it the way you wanted. I've always been pretty lucky...since I "did" share Rodney's strategy.

To the OP, Ski is one of the reasons that Shawn's Tow tunes have been as refined as they are, too.
I did try different shifting strategies back with the Level 5 tune, but I had given Shawn the wrong PCM strategy. That was fixed with the correct strategy at T2, T3 and T4 as each just got more amazing. The only other issue was my spark plugs crapping out about the time I switched to SSI. And THAT is why I say FIX YOUR SPARK PLUGS!
I also had shifting issues with MPT, but revisions fixed that and posts about that may explain the confusion. I tried MPT just for giggles and had the hard shift others described. I decided not to bother with it as I had already settled on my favorite, but later contacted them for a revision that was much better.
For daily drivers, I like SSI, 5 Star, MPT and SCT in that order. I don't race and am in it for the drive.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 01-17-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 01-17-2014, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
I did try different shifting strategies back with the Level 5 tune, but I had given Shawn the wrong PCM strategy. That was fixed with the correct strategy at T2, T3 and T4 as each just got more amazing. The only other issue was my spark plugs crapping out about the time I switched to SSI. And THAT is why I say FIX YOUR SPARK PLUGS!
His issues are about a dead ringer for the plugs being gaped wrong...could you tell any difference running the brisk plugs?? Weird design that I'm having a hard time buying right into.

Quick Reply: What Ever Happend to SSI Review/Tune Thread.