Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

What does a tuner do in a F150 2013 5.0

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What does a tuner do in a F150 2013 5.0

What does a tuner actually do in a non turbo engine? It's been a lot of years (pre electronic) since I've done much with an engine.
1.lean or enrich the fuel
2.change the timing

Trying to figure out if I can tune my current 5.0 (cheapest) to get more HP, put on a turbo charger (expensive) or get a new truck with a 6.2 or a diesel (very expensive)

I could not find anything that actually said what it does except change the shifting

Sorry if I just have poor searching skills

Joe
Old 12-27-2016, 06:27 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

http://www.stage3motorsports.com/701...ar-Tuning.html
Old 12-27-2016, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From the link
(adjusting its fuel curves, ignition timing, fan control, and a ton of other variables so that your truck makes huge amounts of horsepower and torque
increasing low-end torque over stock, while adjusting your truck's shift points, pressures, and throttle sensitivity for much more responsive driving)

What I am looking for is more towing ability (pulling a 7000# trailer cross country) don't need fast response to get it up to speed. Can you really adjust the fuel and timing to get huge amounts of HP?
I'm not doubting (well maybe a little) would just like to know how it does it.
I can see getting a quicker response with throttle and shifting, just curious how it makes a huge HP increase at a steady throttle.
Thanks for the response and link
Joe
Old 12-27-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by jlreaa
From the link
(adjusting its fuel curves, ignition timing, fan control, and a ton of other variables so that your truck makes huge amounts of horsepower and torque
increasing low-end torque over stock, while adjusting your truck's shift points, pressures, and throttle sensitivity for much more responsive driving)

What I am looking for is more towing ability (pulling a 7000# trailer cross country) don't need fast response to get it up to speed. Can you really adjust the fuel and timing to get huge amounts of HP?
I can see getting a quicker response with throttle and shifting, just curious how it makes a huge HP increase at a steady throttle.
Joe

They can make tunes based on your needs, contact them and see what they say!
Old 12-27-2016, 11:30 PM

Received 211 Likes on 174 Posts

From the link

Joe
I wouldn't say the total HP gains will be HUGE like they might be in an eco. You can reasonably expect close to 30ft lb/tq 30 hp peak. But your gains down lower in the rpm band will be much more impressive.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:11 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

The 5-Star tow tune should give you what you are looking for and I believe you can even buy a warranty with it.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:58 AM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

From the link

Joe
Just throwing this out there as I am not a programming engineer. I would say timing adjustments, fuel timing/pressure adjustments, spark adjustments, etc.

Trust me they work.

5* does offer a warranty with their tunes. I think it's an additional 500$ but they will cover any damage that their tune caused.