Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

What is a Code P0236 (Ecoboost)?

Old 11-11-2014, 01:57 PM

Received 368 Likes on 286 Posts

Default What is a Code P0236 (Ecoboost)?

I'd like to learn what this code means.

On startup my instrument panel displayed a big wrench. Engine seemed to idle OK. Shut down/restarted ok (this time without wrench icon), so headed out on my errand for which the truck drove fine.

Upon returning home I plugged in a scanner tool which displayed P0236. I did not reset the code. My Ford Service said it ought to be checked out so made an appointment for two days later. There my Ford Service said it must have been a "soft code" as they found no code stored. Since then the truck has driven & towed several hundred miles without any problem getting good fuel economy. This truck has 56k miles on it.

So can anyone tell me what a "soft code" is, and what might cause a P0236 code?
Attached Thumbnails What is a Code P0236 (Ecoboost)?-img_0071.jpg  
Old 11-11-2014, 02:38 PM
Boost :)

Received 440 Likes on 328 Posts

The wrench 9 times out of 10 means that the throttle body lost electronic communication with the pedal. Turning the engine off and back on almost always solves it.

A simple Google search of your code:

http://engine-codes.com/p0236_ford.html

Boost Sensor Circuit. It may have been something kind of like a misfire code where it only stays on as long as you are having the issue and then is gone. The truck may have found a boost sensor issue that was only temporary and has since solved itself.
The following users liked this post:
Barry_Vee (11-11-2014)
Old 11-11-2014, 08:24 PM

Default P0236

Temporary/Minor issue...problem solved. That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!
Old 06-15-2018, 05:03 PM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Barry_Vee
Temporary/Minor issue...problem solved. That's what I was hoping to hear. Thanks!
Did you continue to live with this...I Have the exact same symptoms to a "t" and it's almost impossible replicate in any way.
Old 06-15-2018, 11:05 PM

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

P0236 - Turbocharger/Supercharger Boost Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance Description: This DTC sets when either of the following conditions are present.

When the throttle intake pressure (TIP_PRS_BOOST) PID does not correlate with the barometric pressure (BARO) and the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) PIDs at ignition ON.

When the turbocharger boost pressure (TCBP) sensor does not correlate with the BARO sensor at idle and the TCBP sensor and MAP sensor fail to correlate while driving.Possible Causes:
  • Damaged turbocharger boost pressure (TCBP)/charge air cooler temperature (CACT) sensor
  • Contaminated or blocked TCBP/CACT sensor
  • Slow responding TCBP/CACT sensor
Diagnostic Aids: Check the intake air system for leaks and restrictions.

The TCBP/CACT sensor is a dual function pressure and temperature sensor located on the intake air tube between the charge air cooler (CAC) and the throttle body.Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory AllGO to Pinpoint Test EA .
Old 06-20-2018, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by carboncow
Did you continue to live with this...I Have the exact same symptoms to a "t" and it's almost impossible replicate in any way.
4000 miles after my initial post the turbo boost sensor or the wiring harness failed. Either way my dealer replaced both and solved the problem. Truck now has 121k and runs like the day it rolled off the lot.
See: https://www.f150forum.com/f38/p0236-...r-code-289939/
The following users liked this post:
NorCalCJ (05-15-2020)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What is a Code P0236 (Ecoboost)?