Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Wagner IC + 3" exhaust = improved MPG

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 01:46 PM

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Default Wagner IC + 3" exhaust = improved MPG

First long road trip (900 mi.) since installing the Wagner IC and Raptor 3" exhaust. The results are hand calculated for a more accurate number. The average mpg for the trip was 19.989. Tank one netted 18.966 mpg for 463.7 miles and 24.499 gal. of 91 octane fuel. Tank two netted 21.013 mpg for 425.3 miles and 20.239 gal. of 93 octane fuel. This trip was a one person one day(24 hr.) no load. Speed varied from 60-75 mph, approximate average 70 mph.

Compared to a 3,554 mile road trip I took at Christmas where the average mpg for the trip was 17.257 and ranged from 15.831 to 17.956 on 11 fuel stops of 91 or 93 octane fuel. This trip was two people seven days 100 lbs. gear for the first half of trip and 1200-1500 lbs. for the second half of trip. Speed varied from 45-80 mph, approximate average 72 mph.

Both trips were 99.5% interstate or divided highway.

Last edited by pat247; 05-11-2013 at 10:49 PM. Reason: correct total miles
The following users liked this post:
Roughneck12 (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 05:45 PM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

Not to be a debbie downer...but I would not say those led to an improvement in MPG.

You said yourself half the trip you were carrying over 1000 lbs..and driving faster...and factor in colder temps and winter fuel(not certain WHERE you drove but somewhere along the line I'm sure you filled with Winter fuel). Wind speed and direction is enough to influence the 2.5 mpg better you got.

I easily see 2-4 mpg difference driving in January to driving now.

The only way to know for sure is to drive the same exact route at the same exact speed in the same exact weather conditions with the same exact payload. Which is damn near impossible.
The following users liked this post:
engineermike (05-11-2013)
Old 05-11-2013, 07:01 PM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

My Wagner IC and Full-Race Exhaust get here next week so we'll see how it goes.
BTW, a trip from Vermont to Columbus OH last June and maintaining the speed limit on mostly interstates, I got 21.5 round trip.

Last edited by SkiSmuggs; 05-11-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Old 05-11-2013, 10:47 PM

[QUOTE=maplelakeduckslayer;2687336]Not to be a debbie downer...but I would not say those led to an improvement in MPG.

You said yourself half the trip you were carrying over 1000 lbs..and driving faster...and factor in colder temps and winter fuel(not certain WHERE you drove but somewhere along the line I'm sure you filled with Winter fuel).

The trip was from Oklahoma to Connecticut and back to Oklahoma, I actually got better mpg loaded 17.32 vs. 17.18 unloaded. This was due to limiting max speed to 75 mph on the return leg but also had to engage auto 4 wheel drive for five hours during a blizzard in NY.

Wind speed and direction is enough to influence the 2.5 mpg better you got.

I actually agree with this statement and I took the wind into account as I had a head wind going and a tail wind on the return. It is also why I did not post the 23.4 mpg that I saw in the info screen for average mpg.

This is just BS and I will prove it as I made a similar trip back in July. The trip was from Oklahoma to Baltimore and back to Oklahoma with a stop in Kansas City going and coming back. Three people plus 150 lbs. of gear, total miles traveled 3372 with seven fuel stops, average mpg 17.337

The only way to know for sure is to drive the same exact route at the same exact speed in the same exact weather conditions with the same exact payload. Which is damn near impossible.[/QUOTE

Another exaggeration.

Now, can I get a thank you from engineermike for providing factual numbers instead of hearsay BS.
Old 05-12-2013, 07:12 AM
Senior Member/Vietnam Vet

Received 539 Likes on 369 Posts

So there may be so question as to the validity of the fuel numbers, but other than that how do you like the new setup in the way it drives and feels?
Old 05-12-2013, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs
So there may be so question as to the validity of the fuel numbers, but other than that how do you like the new setup in the way it drives and feels?
I like the setup on my truck and my goal has been to make it a more efficient highway cruiser. The 3" exhaust has a little more growl to it but nothing obnoxious , a deeper tone on startup, not noticed at all at highway speed.

As to the numbers, they are what they are. My method of collecting the data consists of getting a receipt each and every time I put fuel in the vehicle and writing the vehicle mileage on the receipt. Then I record the data from the receipt into a notebook when time allows. I categorize the data by date, vehicle mileage, miles traveled, grade of fuel, price per gallon, gallons used, miles per gallon, and total cost of fill-up. I keep every receipt for as long as I own the vehicle.
Old 05-12-2013, 09:03 AM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by pat247

I like the setup on my truck and my goal has been to make it a more efficient highway cruiser. The 3" exhaust has a little more growl to it but nothing obnoxious , a deeper tone on startup, not noticed at all at highway speed.

As to the numbers, they are what they are. My method of collecting the data consists of getting a receipt each and every time I put fuel in the vehicle and writing the vehicle mileage on the receipt. Then I record the data from the receipt into a notebook when time allows. I categorize the data by date, vehicle mileage, miles traveled, grade of fuel, price per gallon, gallons used, miles per gallon, and total cost of fill-up. I keep every receipt for as long as I own the vehicle.
You're a sick person.... Very sick. Can I contact Charter for you? I think its time for an intervention!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:12 AM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by pat247

I like to keep track just the same as you do!
Old 05-12-2013, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by jcain
You're a sick person.... Very sick. Can I contact Charter for you? I think its time for an intervention!
There is method to my madness.
Old 05-12-2013, 11:22 AM

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

[quote=pat247;2687933]
Originally Posted by maplelakeduckslayer
Not to be a debbie downer...but I would not say those led to an improvement in MPG.

You said yourself half the trip you were carrying over 1000 lbs..and driving faster...and factor in colder temps and winter fuel(not certain WHERE you drove but somewhere along the line I'm sure you filled with Winter fuel).

The trip was from Oklahoma to Connecticut and back to Oklahoma, I actually got better mpg loaded 17.32 vs. 17.18 unloaded. This was due to limiting max speed to 75 mph on the return leg but also had to engage auto 4 wheel drive for five hours during a blizzard in NY.

Wind speed and direction is enough to influence the 2.5 mpg better you got.

I actually agree with this statement and I took the wind into account as I had a head wind going and a tail wind on the return. It is also why I did not post the 23.4 mpg that I saw in the info screen for average mpg.

This is just BS and I will prove it as I made a similar trip back in July. The trip was from Oklahoma to Baltimore and back to Oklahoma with a stop in Kansas City going and coming back. Three people plus 150 lbs. of gear, total miles traveled 3372 with seven fuel stops, average mpg 17.337

The only way to know for sure is to drive the same exact route at the same exact speed in the same exact weather conditions with the same exact payload. Which is damn near impossible.[/QUOTE

Another exaggeration.

Now, can I get a thank you from engineermike for providing factual numbers instead of hearsay BS.
After 43000 miles on my truck and driving in all seasons twice I can assure you its not BS heresay...love it when people fly off the handle. Nothing is exaggerated...think back to your science classes and how you conduct exeriments. These trucks are finiky with MPG...anything from humidity to wind speed/direction to temperature to wet roadways to hills...and mostly speed...all affect MPG. Thats why testing on same exact routes and same exact weather conditions are important.

You don't have to believe me...but without testing in the same exact weather conditions with the same exact load on the same exact route...your claim doesn't hold water with me because I know how widely MPG on these trucks varies dependent on conditions.

Thats good you like the setup...not trying to take anything away from you.

Quick Reply: Wagner IC + 3" exhaust = improved MPG