Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

VIN locked SCT X3

Old 03-24-2017, 01:06 PM

Received 254 Likes on 157 Posts

Default VIN locked SCT X3

So, I have the old SCT X3 tuner that I used with my '13 5.0 in my toolbox in the garage. When I traded it, I never reverted back to the stock tune, so the tuner is still married to that truck. I am planning to go back to 5* for my Tremor, but have no intention of using the X3. Since I would have to send it off to SCT to have them unlock it for a fee ($150 I think, which I find absurd, but that's another rant for another time), then buy the tunes I want from 5*. In the end, I can just get an X4 with tunes on it already for the same price.

My question is, even though the X3 is still vin locked to my '13, can I use it to pull the PCM strategy code from my Tremor? I know I cant do anything with regards to tuning the truck, and I'm good with that. I've been doing some reading, and some folks have had their PCM strategies updated, and I don't want to go by what's on the sticker only to find out the hard way that it was updated at some point that that isn't the right strategy. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:02 PM

Received 254 Likes on 157 Posts

So, I emailed 5* (and they got back to me in a few minutes on a Saturday morning, another reason I'm going back to them), and yes, it can be used to get the PCM strategy code even though it is vin locked to another truck
Old 04-02-2017, 10:56 PM

Received 27 Likes on 13 Posts

That's some excellent customer service for sure.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: VIN locked SCT X3