Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Upgraded Tune

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 02:23 PM

Received 112 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Upgraded Tune

I had been running the 93 octane canned tune from Diablo since December of last year. The tune was really awesome and did so much for the truck. The folks at Diablo were super helpful too. Based upon some recent research into tuning software and my discussions with another speed shop I elected to trade into the SCT with a Southern Speed tune. I can't rave enough about the customer service I received but I will leave it at that for now. I have posted my review below of the custom tune designated T4. Fella's if you are in a 5.0 and you want to unleash the beast I encourage you to give this a try. It will make your face hurt from grinning.

1. The power and torque curves have been moved up substantially. By that I mean there is tremendous low end torque and the horsepower seems to come on much quicker. The diablo tune would not spin the tires from a start (I have 3.31 gears). The Southern Speed tune will spin first, bark 2nd etc....And that is all fun but its really the performance through out the entire RPM range that I am enamored with.

2. Drive ability - I have a whopping 30 minutes with this tune so far. This includes 2 freeway runs and stop and go around the office. I got on the freeway and hit the damn speed limiter going up the ramp LOL. Punching it at 50 and 70 it is a rocket. From stop light to stoplight the shifts began to become less firm as I babied it making for a very nice ride under light throttle. When I hammered it, it went.

3. Sound - If you are still stock you will not understand, but the tune immediately changes the sound of the engine. It is a wonderful throaty roar as it winds up and it winds up very quickly.

4. Shifts - I really like the shift strategy, something I did not like with the canned 93 tune. This feels "smarter". At the proper throttle angle it keeps the revs up. And that stupid 3rd and 4th gear torque converter lock up is gone. Something stupid would happen on the old tune and stock, where 1/2 were bad *** but 3 and 4 it felt like there was an intermediate shift in each gear slightly lowering the RPMs. Pissed me off! ( I am assuming this was a TC lockup but I don't know, I will leave it to the experts) That stupid s#$% is gone. 3/4 now perform as they should IMO meaning there is no drop off in power.

I have done a few 0-60 runs this afternoon and without the G-Tech and only a stop watch I am clocking 5.7 - 5.9. Pretty damn impressive.
The following 6 users liked this post by violinguy77:
57hippie (10-07-2013), 5_oh (10-07-2013), johndeerefarmer (10-07-2013), Rockhopper (10-08-2013), Rok (10-07-2013), SkiSmuggs (10-07-2013) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 PM

Received 175 Likes on 107 Posts

Another satisfied customer. There is no denying, Shawn can tune!!
Old 10-07-2013, 06:15 PM

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Hell yeah! That's how we do it
Old 10-07-2013, 06:56 PM
BlackScab

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad you like it as much as I do. Only one place with constant raving reviews. I love driving my truck now too. It has so much more power and drives like a truck should in my opinion.
Old 10-07-2013, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by violinguy77
I had been running the 93 octane canned tune from Diablo since December of last year. The tune was really awesome and did so much for the truck. The folks at Diablo were super helpful too. Based upon some recent research into tuning software and my discussions with another speed shop I elected to trade into the SCT with a Southern Speed tune. I can't rave enough about the customer service I received but I will leave it at that for now. I have posted my review below of the custom tune designated T4. Fella's if you are in a 5.0 and you want to unleash the beast I encourage you to give this a try. It will make your face hurt from grinning.

1. The power and torque curves have been moved up substantially. By that I mean there is tremendous low end torque and the horsepower seems to come on much quicker. The diablo tune would not spin the tires from a start (I have 3.31 gears). The Southern Speed tune will spin first, bark 2nd etc....And that is all fun but its really the performance through out the entire RPM range that I am enamored with.

2. Drive ability - I have a whopping 30 minutes with this tune so far. This includes 2 freeway runs and stop and go around the office. I got on the freeway and hit the damn speed limiter going up the ramp LOL. Punching it at 50 and 70 it is a rocket. From stop light to stoplight the shifts began to become less firm as I babied it making for a very nice ride under light throttle. When I hammered it, it went.

3. Sound - If you are still stock you will not understand, but the tune immediately changes the sound of the engine. It is a wonderful throaty roar as it winds up and it winds up very quickly.

4. Shifts - I really like the shift strategy, something I did not like with the canned 93 tune. This feels "smarter". At the proper throttle angle it keeps the revs up. And that stupid 3rd and 4th gear torque converter lock up is gone. Something stupid would happen on the old tune and stock, where 1/2 were bad *** but 3 and 4 it felt like there was an intermediate shift in each gear slightly lowering the RPMs. Pissed me off! ( I am assuming this was a TC lockup but I don't know, I will leave it to the experts) That stupid s#$% is gone. 3/4 now perform as they should IMO meaning there is no drop off in power.

I have done a few 0-60 runs this afternoon and without the G-Tech and only a stop watch I am clocking 5.7 - 5.9. Pretty damn impressive.
I have been pushing off getting a tune for my stock 5.0 since I got it in February. I could not make up my mind between 5* tune or livernois. Over the past week I have been thinking about it again and was leaning toward the Livernois since I only live 30 minutes away from them. I read you review and now im torn. I cant seem to find Southern speed website do you have a link? Also is there anyone specific I should talk to? Thanks allot!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:06 PM

Pm coming your way
Old 10-07-2013, 07:50 PM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I as well would like some more information on Southern Speed if you would!
Old 10-07-2013, 07:58 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Southern Speed

Originally Posted by Akray
Pm coming your way
Can you help me out also, with some contact info for Southern Speed?
Old 10-07-2013, 08:27 PM

Pm's coming guys
Old 10-07-2013, 08:33 PM
Rok

Received 142 Likes on 98 Posts

Where is sqidd to say the truck is not really faster?

5.0 Southern Speed Crew!!!!! Welcome.

Quick Reply: Upgraded Tune