Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Underbody shields eco vs 5.0

Old 05-01-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Underbody shields eco vs 5.0

I have a question regarding underbody pans/shields on the 11/12 F150's. From what I can tell, the ECO's all have a rubber shield that extends from the lower front valence to the frame, effectively covering the gap between the radiator and engine. Also there appears to be a pan (I guess it could be the OEM skid plate, but it looks very think...more like a large splash guard) with a cut out in it (for oil drain I suppose) as well as another sound deadening "fiber" pan below the tranny. Do all ECO's have this? Or is this something that you get on the higher trim lines?

I ask because my 5.0L XLT have none of these extra shields. It does have a small aluminum pan directly below the engine block, but in front of the oil pan. That is it...nothing more.

I never really thought about it before, but I was noticing people griping about how hard it was to change the oil in the 11/12 trucks, and most of the gripes center around all of the extra shields you have to remove.

So....is this normal? Or did I get shortchanged somewhere along the way? I cannot find any pics of the underside of a 5.0L 11/12 truck. So...do all of you ECO guys have these extra shields? And what about all of you 5.0L guys?

Last edited by bskouby; 05-01-2012 at 11:21 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Underbody shields eco vs 5.0