Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Turbo "Skipping"

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2017, 03:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Turbo "Skipping"

2013 Ecoboost F150 63k miles flawless miles.
Have noticed previously when I'm gently accelerating 3rd gear just under 2300 RPM, I can hear the turbos spooling and seemingly shutting off (or making no noise) then quickly picking right back up, then disappearing (audibly), then reappearing unless I give more throttle or less (inducing a shift). It is as if they are skipping. This has cause no issues, no lights, no malfunctions. I'm only concerned.

Fast forward to present:

Just added an SCT x4 and loaded 91 oct canned tune with 93 fuel in the tank until my MPT custom tunes arrive.

Stock I can hear the turbos very clearly in the vehicle with 1/4 throttle. With the tune I can barely hear the motor over the sound of the turbos upon acceleration. So this "issue" I described before is very noticeable now. However instead of 3rd gear at 2300 RPM, this occurs 3rd gear 2600 to 3k RPM.

Again, I don't notice the vehicle surging back and forth, I really don't even notice a difference in power during these turbo "skips".

What is this?

Also, stock tuned, when I'm accelerating onto the highway in 3rd gear (1/2 throttle) the motor RPM's climb up to 3k to 3200 and will dip slightly by 200 rpm until I either back off (inducing shift) or accelerate through it to about 3/4 throttle.

During this time I do not experience the turbo "skip" -- this seems to almost exclusively happen going uphill and the RPM "dip" seems to happen regardless of any grade in the road.

Has anyone experienced this?

thanks.
Old 03-17-2017, 05:10 PM
King Hater

Received 872 Likes on 653 Posts

Sounds similar to something I was experiencing. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/someth...y-trip-375673/
Old 03-17-2017, 06:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tothemax
Sounds similar to something I was experiencing. https://www.f150forum.com/f38/someth...y-trip-375673/
Man you know what I actually searched and came across your thread and read it
I can't figure out if what you're saying is what I'm saying.
The popping in and out of turbo is very similar. Like you said almost like you're on and off the throttle but my throttle should be constant.
Have you had luck in resolving this issue?
I might look into changing out the spark plugs.
My fear is exacerbating an existing issue with this tune.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:36 PM
King Hater

Yeah it's hard to explain... it literally happened during my trip for the first time. I just got home last night.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:13 PM
King Hater

They still seem to be doing it.

Boost with audible "woosh" then no sound then "woosh" again. Not sure what in the hell is going on...