Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Tuning is finally available.....so what's next?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2012, 12:57 AM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Tuning is finally available.....so what's next?

Since the EB's have been un-Bosch'd so to speak, what's next? The only other DI turbo motors that seem to be somewhat related to the EB have been in the Mazdaspeed 3 & 6. The MAJOR setback in output with the Mazda was the DI pump internals.....and the aftermarket fixed that right up. A friend of mine has a Mazdaspeed 3 that was dyno'd at 268whp & 296lb with a conservative tune , pump internals and some intake mumbo-jumbo....up from 224whp & 254lb bone stock. On a 2.3l motor....not bad. Anyway, with the upgraded pump internals and a *bit* larger turbo you get 400whp. Enough with the Mazda, what should next with the EB?
Old 04-18-2012, 01:17 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

dual t100's spooled in series by two t50's. duh.

In all seriousness though, I want to see if someone will hook up some E85, larger injectors, HP pump upgrades(or even new pumps), and methanol injection.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:08 AM

Methanol injection seems more versatile than e85, and will keep the carbon off the valves. Fueling is a MUST. A GT25R upgrade would be reasonable and might require an intercooler upgrade. If the torque gets crazy, converter upgrades are in line. With all the pissing and whining about dyno curves and tunes available.......we're just going to have to face the fact that from here on, custom dyno tunes are gonna be a must.
Old 04-18-2012, 09:15 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

While tuning options are available they are weak at best if you look at the ms3 community they have a wealth of knowledge and real tunes that hold multiple maps with built in visual gauges and ultra fast multiple point data logging, while super chips can do some of those options its actual tune according to many people is rough at best and livernois seems to have a good tune on 1980's hardware requiring you to email them to get another map. I think once real tuners step and quality tunes and tuning devices come in then maybe we can look at upgrading hardware but the way things look I would trust any of these tuners more than a manual boost controller.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Official Member: Vast RWC

Received 35 Likes on 24 Posts

OP you hit the nail on the head. We will probably be stuck for a while as far as REAL performance upgrades go. More and more people will come out with intake and exhaust upgrades but to make any REAL POWER someone is going to have to get serious and develep a high output HP pump and injectors.

It took the MS3 community quite a while to break 400whp but recently it has been done (ive alse seen a 600+whp ms3)..... and all because of companies that are offering a high ouput HP pump.

Only once these two critical pieces of the puzzle are offered (pump and injectors) will the REAL modding be able to begin like larger turbos and serious increases in boost.

The motor can handle more (probably LOTS more) boost........ its overbuilt. The fuel system is what needs immediate attention if someone wants to get serious and GO FAST.

You have to remember direct injected turbo gasoline motors are relatively new......... the fuel technology is in its infancy but is in fact starting to develop...

here is some info on a MS3 HPFP upgrade......

http://www.velocityfactor.net/script...idproduct=4368

Last edited by gimmie11s; 04-18-2012 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:05 PM

The retail tunes now are not the setback. They are only limited by the lack of hard parts that depending on the combination of said hard parts, would require a custom dyno tuning per application. I could care less about a LCD screen sitting on my dash sucking info from the OBDII, hell I can use my cell phone fort that via Bluetooth. maybe a person directly involved in tuning can chime in about some of the bottlenecks be it fuel pressure or injector size. One thing its for sure, w are going to be WAY beyond any turbo efficiency if things produce much more power.
Old 04-18-2012, 02:31 PM

Received 482 Likes on 304 Posts

next is when it starts to get interesting and guys start blowing stuff up pushing the limits.

I mean if guys were getting 450+whp out of a 2 liter subaru engine that was a whopping 227hp at the crank, 8 years ago, some of you EB guys will find the limits of every part of the drivetrain on these trucks. It's going to take someone with a little extra cash hanging around to do it though.

Quick Reply: Tuning is finally available.....so what's next?