Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Tuning changes with aftermarket intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2013, 10:20 PM

Received 179 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Tuning changes with aftermarket intercooler?

I was just curious if there would be any benefit to altering a tune after installing an aftermarket FMIC. Seems like if there is a drop in temp and/or increase in flow some hp gains could be had with some tweaking. There are far smarter guys on here that will know the answer. Thanks in advance.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:00 PM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

I'd say yes, if you were pushing the factory intercooler beyond its capabilities. There are probably a couple ponies, but not many as these trucks sit.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:32 PM

I wonder if livernois and everyone else will have an aftermarket FMIC tune. Would be nice.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

well, I wonder if fullrace, seeing as they sell sct tuners would have a tune for the intercooler and water/meth that they offer.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM

Received 130 Likes on 102 Posts

Has anyone tried strapping their truck on a dyno or driving around with a laptop plugged in and a professional tuner and have a truly custom tune done on their truck?
Old 01-20-2013, 09:54 AM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Only a couple...

Slow ordered the fullrace and I'm sure they will tweak once installed.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:01 AM

Yeah, Slow said he would be doing before and after dynos and post all figures. If there are measurable gains Ill buy. Halfway thinking of getting one for looks alone lol.
Old 01-20-2013, 12:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Joewee3.5
Yeah, Slow said he would be doing before and after dynos and post all figures. If there are measurable gains Ill buy. Halfway thinking of getting one for looks alone lol.
I want one for looks, water meth ports, and the ability to use a regular bumper
Old 01-20-2013, 12:47 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered a Full-Race I/C. The main reason for me was to eliminate the condensation possibilty that can occur with the stock I/C and for the potential of maintaining peak power when towing in the summer months. So for me it is really a reliability upgrade that just happens to have a performance potential.

I ordered the optional meth bungs. Just so that they will be there if I ever decide to go with meth injection. Custom tuning would be nice to realize real gains. Perhaps at the end of the day, it (meth injection) will mean that you could run a 91 or 93 custom tune on 87. Here in NJ there are a few decent places that do custom tuning on Mustangs but what would they know about the Ecoboost? Custom tuning around here runs $600-800+

When I was on the phone with Full-Race to place my order I asked if they will be offering custom tunes since they are an SCT dealer. The answer was no.

Olli
The following users liked this post:
taylori (01-20-2013)
Old 01-20-2013, 02:43 PM
Eye of the Tiger

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Olli
I ordered a Full-Race I/C. The main reason for me was to eliminate the condensation possibilty that can occur with the stock I/C and for the potential of maintaining peak power when towing in the summer months. So for me it is really a reliability upgrade that just happens to have a performance potential.
That was exactly my reasoning. I figured the price for an upgraded IC is "cheap" insurance over potential problems with the stock IC. I've read many posts on here about people being without their trucks for over a month because they are waiting for the backordered IC to come in from Ford. To me, the time wasted going back and forth to the dealership is more valuable than the cost of this new IC.

Quick Reply: Tuning changes with aftermarket intercooler?