Topic Sponsor
2011+ Engine Related Questions Sub-Forum to the new engines that debuted in 2011.

Tuner that doesn't void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 09:12 AM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts
Default Tuner that doesn't void warranty?

Is there any tuner that doesn't void the factory warranty? I'm considering getting an EcoBoost and would love to have a tune for more power and a way to squeeze out even more fuel economy, but with the possibility of problems with the fairly new style motor, I don't want to void the warranty. Is there a tuner that can be installed to give these benefits, but doesn't leave evidence in the computer of having been installed if the truck needs to be put back to stock?
Old 07-22-2012, 12:05 PM
'11 Lariat EcoBoost 4x4

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't heard of one, but I wish there was one.

When I had my BMW 335i with a twin turbo, BMW had an arrangement with Dinan that allowed them access to create an approved tune that would not void the BMW warranty. It cost me $2000, but added 84 hp and 121 lbs of torque. Made the car a beast. Well worth the money, especially knowing my warranty wasn't jeopardized.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:39 PM

Received 461 Likes on 310 Posts

fastlane.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:26 PM
better looking than geno

Received 275 Likes on 169 Posts

Yea fastlane makes a in line device, not a tuner per say. They claim 30 hp I think.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 270 Likes on 191 Posts

I was thinking the bully dog tuner that plugs into the odbII port and has live configurations.

I am thinking this because one of my coworkers has a 04' 6.0 diesel and has it and he says it doesn't program like a conventional tuner and he can change the tunes on the fly and that he can remove them by just just unpluging the tuner from the OBDII port. I was thinking, and discussing with my brother who had a ecoboost, that this tuner might not leave traces like the others do.

What do you think?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:28 PM

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mechanicboy
I was thinking the bully dog tuner that plugs into the odbII port and has live configurations.

I am thinking this because one of my coworkers has a 04' 6.0 diesel and has it and he says it doesn't program like a conventional tuner and he can change the tunes on the fly and that he can remove them by just just unpluging the tuner from the OBDII port. I was thinking, and discussing with my brother who had a ecoboost, that this tuner might not leave traces like the others do.

What do you think?
I believe it allows you to put the vehicle back to stock, however, I think the dealer can still see that something was done to the computer at some point and then put back to stock.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:31 PM

What do you think?
Diesel tuners are an in between style like fastlane has provided, though their's is not on the fly changeable. Every other tuner on the market for the eb is an actual pcm rewrite
Old 07-22-2012, 02:33 PM

I just watched a video of the bully dog tuner and it appears to be different on the f150 than the f250 diesel. It seems like it doesn't do the live tune change.

Does anyone have this tuner?
Old 07-22-2012, 02:36 PM

Well I know on the 7.3 diesel I just bought is that when you tune it it will pop a code P0603(I think it was) and I bet that the gas engine do something similar. This code can be removed after the tune is uninstalled with the proper scanner. My other coworker has a $2K snap-on scanner that does this, well it does on the diesel anyway.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:37 PM

I just watched a video of the bully dog tuner and it appears to be different on the f150 than the f250 diesel. It seems like it doesn't do the live tune change.

Does anyone have this tuner?
Don't like my answer?

Quick Reply: Tuner that doesn't void warranty?